Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 1:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
(August 30, 2020 at 3:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hangman (2017) Al Pacino, Karl Urban

Nothing to recommend it. Even good actors can’t save this boring, mindless, poorly plotted, childishly written piece of junk. Just awful from start to finish.

0/10

Boru

But...

Karl Urban!
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 30, 2020 at 6:15 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(August 30, 2020 at 3:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Hangman (2017) Al Pacino, Karl Urban

Nothing to recommend it. Even good actors can’t save this boring, mindless, poorly plotted, childishly written piece of junk. Just awful from start to finish.

0/10

Boru

But...

Karl Urban!

Yeah, he’s very pretty. I get it. But it’s all the moving and talking he did in this film that was the problem.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 30, 2020 at 6:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 30, 2020 at 6:15 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: But...

Karl Urban!

Yeah, he’s very pretty. I get it. But it’s all the moving and talking he did in this film that was the problem.

Boru

He's usually such a good actor. He was the only thing worth watching in Jar Jar Abram's "Trek".
(August 30, 2020 at 7:07 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(August 30, 2020 at 6:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yeah, he’s very pretty. I get it. But it’s all the moving and talking he did in this film that was the problem.

Boru

He's usually such a good actor.  He was the only thing worth watching in Jar Jar Abram's "Trek".

I agree, he’s a terrific actor. But he had nothing to work with in this pile of shit (even Pacino went through the entire film like he wanted nothing more than to lie down and take a nap).

Reminds me of an interview in which Paul Giamatti was asked why he appeared in the Ben Affleck trainwreck ‘Paycheck’ and he answered, ‘Because of the aptly named “paycheck” ‘.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 30, 2020 at 7:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 30, 2020 at 7:07 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: He's usually such a good actor.  He was the only thing worth watching in Jar Jar Abram's "Trek".

I agree, he’s a terrific actor. But he had nothing to work with in this pile of shit (even Pacino went through the entire film like he wanted nothing more than to lie down and take a nap).

Reminds me of an interview in which Paul Giamatti was asked why he appeared in the Ben Affleck trainwreck ‘Paycheck’ and he answered, ‘Because of the aptly named “paycheck” ‘.

Boru

Yeah.

There hasn't been a good Affleck movie since Dogma.
Did Pacino at least have a scene that could be read as a meta-critique of the film itself? I ask because I’ve seen him in two Deep Hurting Project films and in both of them, he does that.

In Gigli, where he’s excoriating his protege Ben Affleck and explaining, in no uncertain terms, why the whole plan the movie hinges on, the plan to extort a federal prosecutor by kidnapping his mentally disabled son was absurdly stupid (and, frankly, it took a lot of willpower to not just use the R-word, if only because it’s so fitting In this circumstance.) The detail about not fucking around could also apply to the dozens of plot threads that come in just to be dropped in less than a minute (at least a few of which actually went somewhere in an earlier cut) or how the romance becomes the center of the movie and not the kidnapping.

And then, in Jack and Jill, he gave this scathing assessment of the entire film.

(August 30, 2020 at 7:26 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(August 30, 2020 at 7:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I agree, he’s a terrific actor. But he had nothing to work with in this pile of shit (even Pacino went through the entire film like he wanted nothing more than to lie down and take a nap).

Boru

Yeah.

There’ve been a couple, actually. They probably just got buried under the crap, except for movies like Argo and Gone Girl. Movies like Changing Lanes, Hollywoodland, State of Play, and The Town.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(August 30, 2020 at 7:43 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Did Pacino at least have a scene that could be read as a meta-critique of the film itself? I ask because I’ve seen him in two Deep Hurting Project films and in both of them, he does that.

In Gigli, where he’s excoriating his protege Ben Affleck and explaining, in no uncertain terms, why the whole plan the movie hinges on, the plan to extort a federal prosecutor by kidnapping his mentally disabled son was absurdly stupid (and, frankly, it took a lot of willpower to not just use the R-word, if only because it’s so fitting In this circumstance.) The detail about not fucking around could also apply to the dozens of plot threads that come in just to be dropped in less than a minute (at least a few of which actually went somewhere in an earlier cut) or how the romance becomes the center of the movie and not the kidnapping.

And then, in Jack and Jill, he gave this scathing assessment of the entire film.

(August 30, 2020 at 7:26 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Yeah.

There’ve been a couple, actually. They probably just got buried under the crap, except for movies like Argo and Gone Girl. Movies like Changing Lanes, Hollywoodland, State of Play, and The Town.

Correction: none that I've seen.

Whoever chose him for Batman needs shooting.
@Rev. Rye

This one. Cliche after cliche, all badly written, sloppily directed and poorly acted.

Boru
Ma. I'll never get back that 90 minutes of wasted time. *cry face*
I'm so surprised because Octavia Spencer is such a great actress, and she was superb in this, but it's a film that felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be. Slasher film? Horror genre? It ended up just being a blah movie that completely lacked suspense, and felt sophomoric in nature.

I've warned you to spare you the agony.
Bill and Ted Face the Music

It was heartwarming, certainly not the best take on time travel but super charming. I see a potential spin off with their children doing similar stupid shit as they did in the first movies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3779 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 807 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 581 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 467 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 506 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1708 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2270 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1689 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1770 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer