Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 2:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
(December 26, 2020 at 5:27 pm)Angrboda Wrote:
(December 26, 2020 at 5:04 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Have it on DVD...

So we did not watch it last nite on Comet..

Fun movie.

Smile

I've been wanting to watch it for some time.  I just happened to check the schedule a few minutes before it started.

Did they have the part where the nurses aide hand laps Elvis and he gets a woodie?

That's the problem with TV....

they cut the best parts...
This week in the Deep Hurting Project: Rock: It's Your Decision, an anti-rock scare film made about two decades after any but the most batshit fringe churches gave a shit about it. It was made by nobody in particular. Let's go!
  • "Gonna have a good time, Gonna have a good time." You know, they're starting off strong with their critique of rock: it's connected to Bill Cosby.
  • "His attitude is getting worse and worse." Maybe because you're badgering him nonstop about his music. That shit's guaranteed to poison you against him. 
  • Two kids got saved? Damn, this church is a lot more intense than we're showing you.
  • This kid's apologising for raising his voice to his mother, showing that he's a good kid. Who wants to bet that's going to change in
  • "Devil you keep up, baby you've life?" The shit kind of lyrics are these?
  • I can't help noticing that when Mom's talking to the preacher, she leaves out the fact that he actually apologises to her.
  • Damn, they're playing rock at school? I wish I went to that high school.
  • "The more you attack his music, the more he rebels." No shit.
  • Give him a few (almost certainly misleading) facts, and claim to guide someone to their own personal decisions? Isn't that how the Alt-right likes to redpill normies? Like saying that 13% of all rock stars take 50% of all the drugs?
  • So the church is supposed to be a total institution. Got it.
  • So, the music should glorify God? That still leaves room for Christian rock. It's crap, but at least it's still rock. And what about groups like The Pixies that frequently draw on the more fucked-up parts of the Bible?
  • God's word never changes? Bart Ehrman would have a lot to say to you (protip: there are actually more variations in the original texts of the New Testament than total words. Admittedly, most are inconsequential, but some passages, [most notably Jesus and the woman caught in adultery, the Resurrection narrative in Mark, and the Comma Johanneum] appear to have been later additions.)
  • Nothing vague or contradictory? So nothing Biblical, then.
  • Tickets to the rock concert? We're not going to name any bands? Is there only one band who'd even appear in this podunk town? Is the artist just called Rock?
  • And we're not going to explain what these books are saying?
  • They're blacking out Pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd?
  • So, are we going to get a citation for bands actually involved in the occult?
  • To be fair KISS is kinda juvenile, so it makes sense that the average buyer is 12.
  • Why am I getting A Certain Sacrifice flashbacks in this diner scene? Okay, to be fair, I can at least hear what the characters are saying, unlike that film, and none of the scenes last several minutes more than they should.
  • I so fucking hope Rolling Stones Records isn't one of the businesses that got tanked by COVID. Fortunately, it wasn't.
  • And you're basing your opinion on the fucking song titles?
  • It's weird, it's almost like art is supposed to make you feel things.
  • Everybody expects to be a preacher to be all straight and narrow. Well, except for Elmer Gantry. Or Tartuffe.
  • Technically, Jesus isn't the one testing him, preacher. You set up the challenge and his mother manipulated him into it.
  • Is it weird that the scenes in that greasy spoon are making me depressed about not going to Door County this summer?
  • Wait, why are you so pissed off at the instrumental rock? All this time, your complaints have focused on the lyrics and the message they're giving people. What can possibly be your issue with music that doesn't even have any music at all? Could it be that these arguments are either arbitrary (like the absurd insistence on the primacy of the "down beat") or just plain racist.
  • Wow. He's going off on his mother about her soap operas, and he's not even bothering to apologise.
  • Maybe your friends insulted you because you're going apeshit about their musical tastes. And frankly, it looks like he's been turned from a normal teen to a fundamentalist who's willingly alienated himself from everything else he ever loved.
  • You think Christians shouldn't listen to music with anti-social themes? Tell that to Nick Cave. In one year, he managed to write this thoughtful reflection on the Gospel of John and also made this:

• It's almost like being controlled by the rhythm is the point of rock music.
  • Some rock musicians are admitted homosexuals? It's a bit weird given that, at this time, even many of the gay icons of the era still identified as bi (yes, even Elton John would wait another decade before coming out as full-blown gay). Is he talking about the B-52s and the Village People? Those are the only rock stars of note I can think of who were out as full-blown gay in 1982.
  • I love that the audience is so indifferent to Jeff's bullshit.
  • Goddammit, you're making The Eagles' softer tunes sound fucking epic.

• These songs you're pointing to: "Sympathy for the Devil" is about man's inhumanity to man; "Mr. D" in the stones song is Death; "Dance with the Dragon" is about the Chinese Zodiac [also, looking up the actual Year of the Dragon, I have to ask: why the fuck is the Chinese year so fucking inconsistent in its lengths? Sometimes it's a few days less than a proper year, sometimes it's significantly longer; dafuq, China?]; "Soul Sacrifice" is a fucking INSTRUMENTAL; "Hell Ain't A Bad Place to Be" is about the torments of a shallow man in an abusive relationship; and about "Evil Ways," to be fair, I could see how you'd take a song whose lyrics start with "you've got to change your evil ways" is somehow Satanic. 
  • If you, as a Christian, act no different from the rest of us, then you might actually get people interested.
  • He that is not for me is against me?

• Wow. That vinyl broke like it's shellac and not just fucking plastic.
  • Also, I can't help but notice the prominence of Jeff's hands in the credits, and how easy it is to treat this as some sort of metaphor for being handcuffed. If it was intentional, it could be a damn good visual metaphor for how he's locked himself into a fucked-up ideology. I first heard about this movie from Brad Jones, and he concluded that about ten years later, Jeff probably hanged himself
  • And, as I finish the film and go back to its page on Amazon Prime, I can't help but notice that A) that picture looks a hell of a lot crisper than the actual film, B) it has nothing to do with it, and C) involves a left-handed Gibson Les Paul Custom being played right-handed (like the exact inverse of how I play)? Why? 

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to bathe and finish watching a marginally less depressing, but infinitely better-acclaimed movie with marginally less fucked-up characters, like the woman who mutilates her own vagina to avoid having sex with her husband and even smears the blood on her face in such a way that she looks like The Joker.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
"NOTZILLA", a parody of a parody of a parody of a dream. The mad American scientists work in the Secret Nuclear Underground Government Installation. (Yeah, "SNUGI".) This time they're close to "getting it right", unlike the previous 59 attempts. If they fail Cincinnati will be destroyed.
Wonder Woman 1984. Quite disappointing.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
(December 28, 2020 at 2:06 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Wonder Woman 1984.  Quite disappointing.
No nudity?

Heh
(December 28, 2020 at 4:39 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(December 28, 2020 at 2:06 pm)Spongebob Wrote: Wonder Woman 1984.  Quite disappointing.
No nudity?

Heh

That's the wonder, given the year. Russ Meyer was still alive, right?
The Professor and the Madman (2019), Mel Gibson, Sean Penn

An entertaining - if somewhat fanciful - film about the origins of the Oxford English Dictionary. Gibson plays James Murray, a Scottish philologist who becomes the dictionary’s first editor and chief compiler. Penn plays (and sometimes overplays) Dr. William Minor, an American insane asylum inmate who becomes one of the chief contributors to the dictionary.

7/10

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: 666ade1df5019051e684041d2d5c43aa9f-09-gr...e.w700.jpg]

Grease.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
"...and swim the English Channel?"
Anna (2019), on Amazon Prime

A sexy spy action thriller. I enjoyed it, and like Luc Besson movies. But please tell me that Luc didn't sleep with Sasha Luss. After Milla Jovovich, and the fact that he likes to cast beautiful young actresses, I'm not sure about him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3778 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 806 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 581 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 466 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 503 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1708 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2266 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1683 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1757 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer