Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 7:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
[Image: danceswithwolves.jpg]

Dances With Wolves.

I thought this would be a sleepy movie, but I really enjoyed it. A bit long, though. I will name you, "Dances With Two Movies."
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
[Image: FX-1986-movie-Bryan-Brown-Cliff-De-Young-underrated.jpg]

F/X.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
[Image: Back_to_the_Future_Part_II.jpg]
Secret Window,................Johnny Depp, adaptation of a Stephen King novella.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 29, 2021 at 1:56 pm)Angrboda Wrote: [Image: danceswithwolves.jpg]

Dances With Wolves.

I thought this would be a sleepy movie, but I really enjoyed it.  A bit long, though.  I will name you, "Dances With Two Movies."
It's been years since I saw this.  About the only thing I really remember about it is the "John, John Dunbar" thing where the Native American woman thinks his name is John John Dunbar.

I'm more a 'Field of Dreams' Costner fan...mostly because it's shot just outside my hometown and I know a lot of the extras and people who worked on the movie as well as some of the Ghost Players being classmates of mine.  I have been to the site multiple times.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

The Sond Of Metal.

[Image: 465FD694-2080-4E10-A0E1-F63B81BC7B28.jpeg]

I know what the plot was gonna be due to the summary. Still the title is misleading, as metal is rarely in this film, the lead singer doesn't sing metal but mordern rock on top of a death metal instrumental which clashes and the leads don't look metal. Story wise it's a mix bag. The drama in it is good in some scenes but is mostly ruined by the generic sterotypical unorginal drama plot devices. And this is just another story where by the end the boy is broke and loses everything for the one he loves only to have the girl get everything while they were seperated.
[Image: 6QOh5df.jpg]
(May 30, 2021 at 4:51 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 29, 2021 at 1:56 pm)Angrboda Wrote: [Image: danceswithwolves.jpg]

Dances With Wolves.

I thought this would be a sleepy movie, but I really enjoyed it.  A bit long, though.  I will name you, "Dances With Two Movies."
It's been years since I saw this.  About the only thing I really remember about it is the "John, John Dunbar" thing where the Native American woman thinks his name is John John Dunbar.

I'm more a 'Field of Dreams' Costner fan...mostly because it's shot just outside my hometown and I know a lot of the extras and people who worked on the movie as well as some of the Ghost Players being classmates of mine.  I have been to the site multiple times.

Re ‘Field of Dreams’: I know the tag line of the thing is, ‘If you build it, he will come’. My personal favourite, though, is, ‘I’m going to beat you with a crowbar til you go away.’

Terrific film.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 30, 2021 at 5:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 30, 2021 at 4:51 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: It's been years since I saw this.  About the only thing I really remember about it is the "John, John Dunbar" thing where the Native American woman thinks his name is John John Dunbar.

Re ‘Field of Dreams’: I know the tag line of the thing is, ‘If you build it, he will come’. My personal favourite, though, is, ‘I’m going to beat you with a crowbar til you go away.’

Terrific film.

Boru
"You told me your finger was a gun!"

That's a favorite of mine....the whole exchange.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

It seems to me there's an unwritten rule of Kevin Costner films - if it doesn't feature baseball or golf (Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Tin Cup), stay the fuck away. Additionally, if it's set in a post-apocalyptic anything, stay far far far the fuck away (Waterworld, The Postman), or beat it with a rusty crowbar.
This week in the Deep Hurting Project, Alone in the Dark, also known as The Only Uwe Boll Film The Reverend is Doing For the Project. Who's Uwe Boll? Well, he's a German filmmaker notorious for buying the rights to video game properties, making movies that, apart from being absolute shit, have fuck-all to do with the original games (and often justifying it by saying that the target audience is just going to download the movie anyway and not see it in theaters, so he might as well get the mainstream audience who's going to be turned off by how shit these films are), and challenging his critics to boxing matches where he pummels the shit out of them. These films never made their money back, but due to a loophole in German law, was able to keep doing this shit for well over a decade. He's retired now, thank Jah, but we at least have his shitty movies and this mirror of his Letterboxd account. I don't do video games, so here's someone just going into Alone in the Dark blind:
  • And we open on the director reading this long and slow infodump crawl that was added because test audiences had no idea what the fuck was even going on.
  • Cheese gives you nightmares? That must be why Wisconsin is the most terrifying state of the Union. Tied only with Vermont. 
  • What's the point of Christian Slater giving that opening spiel if he's just going to give a lot of the same info to the cabbie? You know, this is where a better director would take the information he didn't give the cabbie, stop the action and give us some visualisation of what exactly he means. 
  • Huh, evidently he took the Soy Sauce.
  • Christian Slater seems to have gone through a period where he doesn't use doors properly. If he has to use them and not smash into a window, he's slamming into it with his body.
  • Did we really have to see that bullet's route through that block of ice?
  • And how the fuck does he do a somersault kick while LYING ON HIS BACK?
  • Something about the way this fight scene is shot seems  incredibly off. I think the shots are too long to give the illusion of fast-paced action, but not long enough to give the audience a sense of reality.
  • Tara Reid is a museum curator. Also, apparently Uwe Boll thought putting her hair in a bun and giving her glasses was enough to make her look smart. That is all. 
  • Is it weird that I'm actually surprised at Christian Slater properly opening a door in this film?
  • Why do we value gold? Because it's scarce and useless enough that we decided to use it for currency?
  • New-FOUND-land? Is that in Can-NAH-da? 
  • Maybe there's a reason these creatures are always in the dark.  Maybe it's because the CGI is so shit that you'd never take them seriously if they went into the light.
  • So, there's a crew member named Marco, and he's fallen inside a trap door. And, because they can't get the lights on, they have to keep yelling "Marco!" And if there was, say, a popular pool game where someone who can't see shit has to keep yelling "Marco!", this would be hilarious. If only that was the case...
  • Also, I think at some point, there was a guy who got shot by a bullet that missed him by about three feet.
    [Image: 2da0b315-955b-43e3-9884-132af4d278ec]
  • And somehow, everybody's gone. 
  • So, why the fuck didn't the Abkani just destroy all the keys to the Dark World and any and all evidence that the Dark World ever existed?
Also, a very strange thing, well two: the first is that there's a random sex scene where Tara Reid jumps Christian Slater's bones while Youssou N'Dour and Neneh Cherry sing "7 Seconds" (A song about racism, mind). And Tara Reid never gets naked (which is what Uwe Boll thinks caused the movie to tank, and not the fact that it's absolute shit, plus the fact that by that point, anyone could just google "Tara Reid Boobs" and get a decent-quality picture of her tits from the incident at P.Diddy's 35th birthday party and see her nipples are, honestly, kinda odd-looking.) I was ready to critique this, and maybe even talk about the time when I sang "Blood of Eden" with Alison (at least before I knew it was a breakup song), at least until I figured out that Peter Gabriel wasn't actually involved. Then came the second strange thing: when I played the film, IT NEVER SHOWED UP. I expected to hear some 90s Sophistipop and the sounds of sexual groaning and writhing, but those sounds never came. After doing some research, looking up where it would be, at least based on the old Nostalgia Critic review of the film and DVD subtitles for the film I found (somewhere between the 45 and 50-minute mark,) it just wasn't there, and it was the same with the upload on Tubi. Then I just looked it up on IMDb and found there's apparently a director's cut with extra violence, but the love scene (which he apparently thought was critical to the film's success) removed. I can only assume this director's cut is what Amazon and Tubi saw as fit to stream.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3779 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 807 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 582 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 467 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 507 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1709 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2271 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1689 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1774 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer