Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 9:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
Can't remember the last one I saw or if I've seen them all, but Jeepers Creepers: Reborn

Quote:Forced to travel with her boyfriend, Laine begins to experience premonitions associated with the urban myth of The Creeper. She believes that something supernatural has been summoned - and that she is at the center of it all.

Horrible acting, but I'm watching out of boredom.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The Strays

Quote:A Black woman's meticulously crafted life of privilege starts to unravel when two strangers show up in her quaint suburban town.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Tried watching the second (in chronological order) Star Wars movie. Fast forwarded to the big fight at the end. Kept looking for John Carter.
[Image: The_Presidio_%281988%29.cover.jpg]
Snacks
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Hard ass colonel was unconvincing. Once we got past that it was a good flix.
(February 22, 2023 at 8:57 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Hard ass colonel was unconvincing. Once we got past that it was a good flix.

His previous tour of duty had been in the 101st Airborne Division, the same division I had been assigned to in my first three tours in Vietnam.

[Image: 240px-US_101st_Airborne_Division_patch.svg.png]
Salute
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Yeah, that's why he was crazy. Is that your excuse? ;-)
(February 20, 2023 at 5:40 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Could be a comparison thing. "He's a shit ton better than Marcus Black Boardus."

BTW, the Roman navy didn't use slaves on their triremes. Too many extra mouths to feed, mouths that didn't fight. Rowing, on the infrequent times it was needed, was done by the combat troops, kept them fit.

Ben Hur’s depiction of convict and slave rowers chained to their benches reflect the much more recent practices aboard the war galleys of the christian and Islamic powers from the late Middle Ages to as late as early 19th century.      It was much more a thing during the battle of Lepanto in 1571 AD than the battle of Actium in 31BC.    The Roman navy relied largely on hired and paid professional rowers drawn from free men, ie non-citizen but non slaves, usually from the provinces outside Italy.   They were certainly not chained to their benches.

Romans Soldiers usually didn’t row, if they were on ships they functioned either as cargo or occasionally as marines.   

Slaves did row for the Roman navy on occasions to fill shortages of free rowers during emergency, such as during the Punic wars, and the war between Marc Antony and Octavian.   But slave rowers were pressed for specific occassions and given their formal manumission afterwards, so they were unlikely to have to be chained to the benches like long serving Christian and Islamic slave rowers of late Middle Ages to 19th century Mediterranean.     

It is ironic that a novel meant to be a panegyric for Christianity had to impune the Romans with brutalities commonly, recently, and enthusiastically practiced by the Christians, and to be fair Muslims, but seldomly ever by the Romans, in order to show how brutal the Roman world into which Christianity was born had been.
I've been to Gen. Lew Wallace's home in Indiana, not far from Indianapolis, which is fuck all far from anything.
[Image: Uncharted_Official_Poster.jpg]
Snacks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3778 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 805 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 581 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 466 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 501 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1708 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2265 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1681 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1757 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer