Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 4:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Last Movie You Watched
RE: The Last Movie You Watched
Quote:Christianity viewed very positively, so you guys might not like it.

You mean like the fine xtians who called him "nigger?" Those "positive" examples?
Sinister: A pretty creepy horror film that provides a mix of standard horror tropes (in such a blatant manner that if you've seen enough horror films, you can predict a good half-dozen of the "scares") with some genuinely well-presented scenes. At least one of the standard cliche horror-movie roles is nicely turned on its head, and when the script reveals the truth of what the protagonist is facing, it is done in a pretty clever manner. Unfortunately, that reveal also telegraphs the ending, but it comes only a few minutes before the end, and the end is good enough that I don't think it's entirely ruined. The lame and gratuitous attempt at a cheap scare at the very end is so disappointing that I'm doing you a favor by warning you that it's coming. Recommended because the story and the character portrayals are much more solid that you usually get with this kind of film.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Idiocracy.

A very strange little movie but one which makes some very good points about the way society is going.
Downloaded and watched Prometheus. It was a sadly inept effort at performing triage on the much debased alien franchise.
V/H/S: I'm of mixed and mixed feelings about this one.

Good: Decent horror stories, good twists, a bit of gore (but not too much). A couple of clever turns on the "found footage" theme that turn a plot hole into a plot twist.

Bad: One of the clever turns gets used twice, a sign that maybe the anthology featured one story too many.

Ugly: Look, we get it. Part of the appeal of the "found footage" genre is the unstable camera work. The shaking, the juddering, the sudden blur-and-refocus when the camera is violently turned in one direction or other, the sudden sense of imbalance and panic when all you see is flashes and zig-zags and hear people screaming and... I think you get the point. This movie features WAYYY too much of all of those, and after a while you wish those stupid fuckheads would have learned to use a goddamn gyroscope or something. After a while, the whole "handheld camera" thing is no longer a feature; it's a migraine-and-seizure-inducing bug. Stop fucking doing it, assholes.

Yeah, I got a bit annoyed at that.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
I rewatched The Grudge, but not the Japanese version. I might watch similar horror movies later that I saw in previews before the movie started.
2 Guns - I thought the premise of two undercover agents that did not realize the other was also under cover was pretty clever. The dialog was witty and the acting superior.
The made for HBO movie Clear History with Larry David. It was quite funny and full of quintessential Larry David style humor.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Not a movie, but I'm watching season 2 of "Game of Thrones". Yeah, I got sucked into it.
"The World's Fastest Indian", with Anthony Hopkins as Burt Monro. My pop's a huge fanboy of Bonneville's history, so I figured I'd watch it. Actually a good flick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 565 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3780 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Charles Bronson movie star Woah0 9 808 September 12, 2022 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  In Hunchback of Notre Dame Disney movie, does Quasimodo imagine the gargoyles Woah0 5 583 August 24, 2022 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  How come "Snow White Disney movie" was so disliked by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S Lewis Woah0 3 469 August 21, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Soul 2020 movie Woah0 6 507 August 19, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1709 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2272 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Horror movie suggestions BrokenQuill92 16 1689 December 7, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1774 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer