Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 1:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christians. Could you be wrong?
RE: Christians. Could you be wrong?
(September 17, 2014 at 11:35 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Mhm, "it's a miracle" is far more likely. Dodgy

EDIT: Man this formatting..

As usual, you miss the point. His "explanation" was no explanation at all.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:40 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 11:35 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Mhm, "it's a miracle" is far more likely. Dodgy

EDIT: Man this formatting..

As usual, you miss the point. His "explanation" was no explanation at all.

Neither is saying something is "a miracle". It discourages further investigation because you already know God did it.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2014 at 11:44 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 11:40 am)Huggy74 Wrote: As usual, you miss the point. His "explanation" was no explanation at all.

Neither is saying something is "a miracle". It discourages further investigation because you already know God did it.

Nope, as I showed you earlier, it simply means it's unexplained scientifically.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:51 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 11:44 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Neither is saying something is "a miracle". It discourages further investigation because you already know God did it.

Nope, as I showed you earlier, it simply means it's unexplained scientifically.

Then your definition of miracle is useless and arbitrary, and has nothing to do with any sort of supernatural entity or force.
- Thomas Jefferson
The papers were there to show that we can understand how the placebo effect works by studying the biochemistry of the brain and the physiology of the human body in general. Those studies apply mostly to Parkinson's disease because that's where the effect is most apparent. The reward mechanisms ARE how the placebo works: you are giving your patient an innocuous chemical which he thinks it's medicine (something good for his body). Thus, the reward mechanisms of the patient are triggered and dopamine is produced. Moreover, the biochemistry of the placebo effect in Parkinson's might help in the near future to have a better understanding of how it works in general.

It's just as if a man in the 1600s said that we could not possibly ever hope to explain lightning via physics because no one had come up with a scientific explanation since the dawn of mankind. You're just being unreasonable and impatient. I can't explain that, therefore god is one of the worst possible arguments one could ever come up with.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
(September 17, 2014 at 11:52 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 11:51 am)Huggy74 Wrote: Nope, as I showed you earlier, it simply means it's unexplained scientifically.

Then your definition of miracle is useless and arbitrary, and has nothing to do with any sort of supernatural entity or force.

Which I made clear earlier in this thread by stating that "anyone can have faith, it has nothing to do with religion."

In fact, Jesus made a remark about a roman centurion. "I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel" the centurion was a roman pagan.
(September 17, 2014 at 11:59 am)oukoida Wrote: The papers were there to show that we can understand how the placebo effect works by studying the biochemistry of the brain and the physiology of the human body in general. Those studies apply mostly to Parkinson's disease because that's where the effect is most apparent. The reward mechanisms ARE how the placebo works: you are giving your patient an innocuous chemical which he thinks it's medicine (something good for his body). Thus, the reward mechanisms of the patient are triggered and dopamine is produced. Moreover, the biochemistry of the placebo effect in Parkinson's might help in the near future to have a better understanding of how it works in general.

It's just as if a man in the 1600s said that we could not possibly ever hope to explain lightning via physics because no one had come up with a scientific explanation since the dawn of mankind. You're just being unreasonable and impatient. I can't explain that, therefore god is one of the worst possible arguments one could ever come up with.

Unless of course he literally means 'miracle' as just a placeholder word for 'unkown' without reference to a deity's existence....which would make this entire conversation a waste of time.
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2014 at 11:59 am)oukoida Wrote: The papers were there to show that we can understand how the placebo effect works by studying the biochemistry of the brain and the physiology of the human body in general. Those studies apply mostly to Parkinson's disease because that's where the effect is most apparent. The reward mechanisms ARE how the placebo works: you are giving your patient an innocuous chemical which he thinks it's medicine (something good for his body). Thus, the reward mechanisms of the patient are triggered and dopamine is produced. Moreover, the biochemistry of the placebo effect in Parkinson's might help in the near future to have a better understanding of how it works in general.

Then find a study on how dopamine affects cancer...I'll wait.
(September 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:

Then find a study on how dopamine affects cancer...I'll wait.

Find me a study that shows God performing miracles?
- Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2014 at 12:06 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(September 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Then find a study on how dopamine affects cancer...I'll wait.

Find me a study that shows God performing miracles?

I actually posted one earlier in the thread.

(August 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Some may be familiar with the story of Pentecost, where tongues of fire was seen to hang over the people.

Quote:Acts 2
And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Which brings me to this photograph taken at the Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, Texas On the night of January 24, 1950.
Original Photograph

This photograph was examined by George J. Lacy, (who worked for the FBI as Investigator of Questioned Documents, and would become the president of The American Society of
Questioned Document Examiners in 1956) subjected the negative to every scientific test available.

Photocopy of George J. Lacey's official report and conclusion concerning the tests run on the photograph.

His conclusion,

Quote:Based upon the above described examination and study I am of the definite opinion that the negative submitted for examination, was not retouched nor was it a composite or double exposed negative.
Further, I am of the definite opinion that the light streak appearing above the head in a halo position was caused by the light striking the negative.

Respectfully submitted,

George J. Lacy.

he also made this statement at a news conference, “To my knowledge, this is the first time in all the world’s history that a supernatural being has been photographed and scientifically vindicated.”

More about American Society of Questioned Document Examiners from Wikipedia:

Quote:The American Society of Questioned Document Examiners is the world's oldest society dedicated to the forensic science of questioned document examination with 144 members worldwide. The current president is James A. Green. The society publishes the Journal of the American Society of Questioned Document Examiners twice a year.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 10219 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 3563 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  They're going to be chanting to the wrong God. brewer 32 2842 March 17, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8064 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  Could I sue my religion over this? Won2blv 21 3410 October 8, 2017 at 8:18 am
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 6009 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Another "how could any intelligent woman be a Christian?" thread drfuzzy 17 2891 September 14, 2016 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 36466 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31563 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 52080 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho