Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 1.57 Average
Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
RE: Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
(June 27, 2015 at 8:08 pm)tonechaser77 Wrote:
(June 27, 2015 at 7:20 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: The Jesus Myth Theory: A Response to David Fitzgerald
By Tim O'Neill

Randy, I'll read your suggestions, if you'll read what i've been through on the subject:

G.R.S. Mead, Did Jesus live 100 B.C.?: An Enquiry into the Talmud Jesus Stories, the Toldoth Jeschu, and Some Curious Statements of Epiphanius, Being a Contribution to the Study of Christian Origins

Alvar Ellegard, Jesus: One Hundred Years Before Christ

Burton L. Mack, A Myth of Innocence: Mark and Christian Origins (Foundations & Facets Series)

Dennis R. MacDonald, The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark

Theodore J. Weeden, Mark: Traditions in Conflict

Charles H. Talbert, Luke and the Gnostics;: An Examination of Lucan Purpose

Michael D. Goulder, Luke: A New Paradigm

C.H. Dodd, Historical Tradition in the Fourth Gospel

Rudolf Bultmann, The Gospel of John: A Commentary

Benjamin W. Bacon, The Gospel of the Hellenists

J.C. O’Neill, The Theology of Acts in its Historical Setting

Jack T. Sanders, The Jews in Luke-Acts

Richard I. Pervo, Dating Acts : Between the Evangelists and the Apologists

Hyam Maccoby, Myth Maker

Hyam Maccoby, Paul and Hellenism

Arthur Drews, The Christ Myth (Westminster College-Oxford Classics in the Study of Religion)

Arthur Drews, Witnesses to the Historicity of Jesus

Bruno Bauer, Christ & the Caesars: The Origin of Christianity from Romanized Greek Culture

Paul M. Couchoud, The Creation of Christ: An Outline of the Beginning of Christianity,  (2 vols)

William Benjamin Smith, The Birth of the Gospel: A Study of the Origin and Purport of the Primitive Allegory of the Jesus

William Benjamin Smith, Ecce Deus,: Studies of Primitive Christianity,

L. Gordon Rylands, Did Jesus Ever Live?

James M. Robertson, Pagan Christs: Studies in Comparative Hierology

James M. Robertson, Christianity And Mythology

Gerald Massey, The Historical Jesus and the Mythical Christ

G.A. Wells, The Jesus of the Early Christians: A Study in Christian origins

G.A. Wells, Did Jesus Exist?

G.A. Wells, The Historical Evidence for Jesus

G.A. Wells, Who Was Jesus?: A Critique of the New Testament Record

G.A. Wells, The Jesus Myth

G.A. Wells, The Jesus Legend 

Earl Doherty, The Jesus Puzzle: Did Christianity Begin with a Mythical Christ? Challenging the Existence of an Historical Jesus

Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy, The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? 

Acharya S., Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled

Tom Harpur, The Pagan Christ: Recovering the Lost Light

Barbara G. Walker, The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets

Richard Carrier, On the Historicity of Jesus, why we may have reason to Doubt

Robert M. Price, Deconstructing Jesus

Robert M. Price, The Christ Myth Theory and its Problems

I don't suppose there's any chance you kept the receipts, is there? You might be able to get your money back.
Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach
Yea that's what I thought.
**Crickets** -- God
(June 27, 2015 at 8:55 pm)Stimbo Wrote: My point, o disingenuous one, is that one of us is defending a character in a story depicting said character as a "moral monster" (to use your own phrase) against the charge of being a moral monster. It doesn't matter if either of us believe it really happened or is a literal anything. Your character's actions would still be astonishingly sick and twisted if carried out by any real person. But if you want to relieve yourself of the task of defending your own mythology, be my guest.

While you're at it, perhaps you'd be so kind as to actually respond to the points I raised, as opposed to dodging them so blatantly?

What points, Stimbo? [Image: shrug.gif]

That God deliberately set up Adam and Eve by creating what? No literal tree for sure. Then what?

Well, whatever. He created something whatever it was, and He made it SOOOOOOOO appealing that despite the fact that He told them not to what? Eat it? Touch it? Do it?

Well, whatever. He told them not to, but they did it any way, but it wasn't really their fault because they had no real reason to think that they shouldn't despite the fact that they had been told not to?

No, I'm sorry, if you HAVE any points, you're going to have to be a bit more explicit about what exactly you are alleging.

The story of the fall is an allegory which explains that our first parents preferred their own will over submitting their wills to God. As a consequence of that decision, they separated themselves from God, and we are stuck with that consequence without hope of rectifying the situation.

God, however, has provided the way by which we may be reconciled with God: through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. [Image: thumbsup.gif]
No wonder you swallow any old bullshit your cult feeds you, with reading comprehension skills like that. Clearly you're unable to understand anything that doesn't come pre-chewed.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 27, 2015 at 9:05 pm)tonechaser77 Wrote: Yea that's what I thought.

What? You expected me to drink the same Kool-Aid that you have gorged upon? Would you be impressed if I rattled off 50 or 60 books from MY bookshelf?

Look, I just read the bio you posted, and I'm sorry you had to go through all that Protestant crap. Really, I am.

But if you've read Ehrman (I haven't and make no secret of that fact) then I believe you should know that he has no use for mythicists like Carrier and Acharya S., and neither does Tim O'Neill who chews them up and spits them out in the article to which I linked.

So, you can bask in the glow of your new-found disbelief, or you can ask yourself why more knowledgeable atheists and skeptics can at least admit that Jesus really did exist without feeling threatened.

Apparently, you are not able to do this.
(June 27, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 27, 2015 at 8:55 pm)Stimbo Wrote: My point, o disingenuous one, is that one of us is defending a character in a story depicting said character as a "moral monster" (to use your own phrase) against the charge of being a moral monster. It doesn't matter if either of us believe it really happened or is a literal anything. Your character's actions would still be astonishingly sick and twisted if carried out by any real person. But if you want to relieve yourself of the task of defending your own mythology, be my guest.

While you're at it, perhaps you'd be so kind as to actually respond to the points I raised, as opposed to dodging them so blatantly?

What points, Stimbo? [Image: shrug.gif]

That God deliberately set up Adam and Eve by creating what? No literal tree for sure. Then what?

Well, whatever. He created something whatever it was, and He made it SOOOOOOOO appealing that despite the fact that He told them not to what? Eat it? Touch it? Do it?

Well, whatever. He told them not to, but they did it any way, but it wasn't really their fault because they had no real reason to think that they shouldn't despite the fact that they had been told not to?

No, I'm sorry, if you HAVE any points, you're going to have to be a bit more explicit about what exactly you are alleging.

The story of the fall is an allegory which explains that our first parents preferred their own will over submitting their wills to God. As a consequence of that decision, they separated themselves from God, and we are stuck with that consequence without hope of rectifying the situation.

God, however, has provided the way by which we may be reconciled with God: through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. [Image: thumbsup.gif]

I thought he gave us free will, why would he want us to submit our will to him. Why give us free will and then set up a system that punishes us for using it? Also saying it's an allegory does not solve the moral dilemma that the story creates. It is a system that portrays morality as doing what your told whether or not you even understand why and that in my opinion is not a moral system.
(June 27, 2015 at 9:22 pm)Stimbo Wrote: No wonder you swallow any old bullshit your cult feeds you, with reading comprehension skills like that. Clearly you're unable to understand anything that doesn't come pre-chewed.

Or maybe your writing skills just suck.
You know you're done when you're at the "I know you are - what am I?" stage.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 27, 2015 at 9:23 pm)Mr.wizard Wrote:
(June 27, 2015 at 9:13 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: What points, Stimbo? [Image: shrug.gif]

I thought he gave us free will, why would he want us to submit our will to him.

Bingo!

We choose freely to submit our will to God. If we did not have free will, then it would not be called "submission", would it?

Quote:Why give us free will and then set up a system that punishes us for using it?

BZZZZ! Oh, I'm sorry...wrong answer. God didn't punish us for "using it". He holds us accountable for using it to choose wrongly. There is no punishment for choosing to be obedient.

Quote:Also saying it's an allegory does not solve the moral dilemma that the story creates. It is a system that portrays morality as doing what your told whether or not you even understand why and that in my opinion is not a moral system.

I'm not sure about whether a moral dilemma exists or not, but doing what we have been told works in just about every area of our lives from the time we are small children until we taking our medications in a retirement home like the doctor ordered.

Even in the account of Adam and Eve, God did tell Adam why:

And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

"Don't eat the fruit, Adam. It will kill you." Sounds like "why" Adam should have obeyed to me.

But on a more serious note, I think it is fair to say that if you were to engage in a serious study of Christianity, you would find more "why" answers to your questions than this brief exchange suggests.
(June 27, 2015 at 9:27 pm)Stimbo Wrote: You know you're done when you're at the "I know you are - what am I?" stage.

Or you could just simply re-state your "points" is a more carefully worded post to which I might respond.

It's up to you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving evolution? LinuxGal 24 2818 March 19, 2023 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6547 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 15891 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 15869 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 12003 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  We can be certain of NO resurrection - A Response Randy Carson 136 38149 October 2, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Disproving The Resurrection By The Maximal Facts Approach BrianSoddingBoru4 160 25649 July 5, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  Obama and the simulated resurrection professor 116 18362 April 25, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) His_Majesty 1617 332564 January 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Ad Neuseum) YahwehIsTheWay 32 7304 December 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: robvalue