Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something cute to brighten up your day. If you didn't love cats, you love them now.
RE: Something cute to brighten up your day. If you didn't love cats, you love them now.
I don't find it hilarious at all. It's just unexpected. Some have told me that asexuals don't tend to make a lot of fuss about their non-sexuality, I, on the other hand, am totally fascinated by them.
RE: Something cute to brighten up your day. If you didn't love cats, you love them now.
(July 23, 2015 at 11:38 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: I don't find it hilarious at all. It's just unexpected. Some have told me that asexuals don't tend to make a lot of fuss about their non-sexuality, I, on the other hand, am totally fascinated by them.

That's true of a lot of things. Not just sexuality or lack thereof. I'm disabled. With crutches. I don't think anything of going out in public, but some able-bodies are "inspired" to tears that I will show up to a bus stop to...well...ride the bus.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(July 23, 2015 at 11:46 am)c172 Wrote:
(July 23, 2015 at 11:38 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: I don't find it hilarious at all. It's just unexpected. Some have told me that asexuals don't tend to make a lot of fuss about their non-sexuality, I, on the other hand, am totally fascinated by them.

That's true of a lot of things. Not just sexuality or lack thereof. I'm disabled. With crutches. I don't think anything of going out in public, but some able-bodies are "inspired" to tears that I will show up to a bus stop to...well...ride the bus.

LOL, why wouldn't you show up wherever you need to/like to if you can? 

I'm not sure what some people like, but when I encounter someone in your situation, I never try to look overly sympathetic or whatnot - I find that kind of behaviour fake. I treat everyone the same, until I find out that they want to be treated in a particular way or another.
To me, same goes for asexuals. It just seemed like you were different as far as that.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(July 23, 2015 at 11:26 am)IanHulett Wrote:
(July 23, 2015 at 6:14 am)excitedpenguin Wrote: Asexuals have a pride flag? ROFLMAO. KUL.

Uh yeah. Granted, it's not for the same reasons as the LGBT community, but it's there for reasons including but not limited to ignorance like what's being debunked here:

http://swankivy.com/writing/essays/philo...sheet.html

It's being used for awareness, because some people are too stupid to accept that Asexuality is real. I encountered a LOT of people like that.

If you think it's hilarious that asexuals have this pride flag, then what about this?

[Image: enhanced-buzz-31286-1343251533-23.jpg]

and this?

[Image: ppoh2.jpg]

I'm not attacking straight people, I just think that it's odd that some straight folks need this kind of stuff. Why would they need this? Everybody's tolerant of straight people, and everybody's aware of heterosexuality.

Oh, it's not just "odd", it's moronic. 

I am a straight woman who has vocally supported LGBT rights,
going all the way back to grade school.

And this whole idiotic "Straight Pride" thing made me realize:

The only thing worse than an idiot,
is an idiot who thinks that they are a genius.

In a game of chess,
any player worth his salt must have the ability to mentally-calculate several different potential moves,
and any consequences,
before making his official move.

To me, a debate is....obviously....much the same.

Before I actually make an argument,
I make sure I am not missing an obvious counter-point that my opponent might make

...so as to not look like an IDIOT.

Granted, I may not be able to anticipate EVERY counter-point he might make,
but there is no excuse for failing to miss the OBVIOUS ones.

And there is nothing more tedious than arguing with people who DO NOT have even a basic level of this strategic mental prowess.

It is like arguing with a two-year-old.

To me, homophobes who THINK that they are being clever with this "Straight Pride" argument is probably the best example of this.

It is indicative of both their staggering ignorance,
and also of their "siege-mentality"
...they honestly believe that their heterosexuality is under attack.

So, they think that by suggesting the concept of "Straight Rights"
that they must be setting us back on our heels with their rapier wit!!

In reality, to us, it is facepalm-inducing.

It's so poorly-thought-out that you find yourself embarrassed for them.

It doesn't even occur to them that there is no "Straight Pride" because....duh....there has never been a need for it.

It. Doesn't. Even. Occur. To. Them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3673 202881 Yesterday at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Something to watch for (or avoid) The Valkyrie 24 2271 October 4, 2023 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Something to think about .... scamper 16 1655 November 13, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  A hint at something deeper Ahriman 0 213 October 5, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Do you love good set of tight fit jeans on your body? Woah0 20 959 September 18, 2022 at 9:51 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  New file, dogs/cats, how to frustrate your human brewer 13 781 July 1, 2022 at 9:55 pm
  Something for nothing onlinebiker 92 4919 September 14, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The really real Something For Nothing no one 1 399 September 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pizza, just bit the bullet, trying something new. Brian37 19 1350 June 14, 2021 at 11:58 am
  Stray cats. Brian37 17 1281 April 27, 2021 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Brian37