Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 8:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
RE: Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
You just said that it could decide what goodness was.  In fact it is tautologicaly true that it did, given your statement. What's all this bullshit, now, about how it can't?

That's just for starters, theres a lot more to unpack already. Like...how "it follows".......it follows by what, what inference are you making? If I didn't create something..and it was real...does that then mean that it's eternal? No, because that thing might be a light bulb, made yesterday.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 9, 2016 at 3:41 pm)Rhythm Wrote: You just said that it could decide what goodness was. 

I said if it could decide what goodness was, then...(a)

But I'm saying if it can't then...(b)

Not A, therefore B.
False dichotomy, built out of a non-sequitur... for reasons already elaborated upon in my very last post.  Understand?  

Ignore that, though....how have you determined "Not A"?  "A" is the one thing I've seen you say that actually follows, and you decided against it, lol.

If a god could create morality it could make torture moral.  Agreed..........and.....?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
It's impossible for it to be morally good to torture a creature for no crime on it's own intensely forever and ever in any possible world, therefore...(and you know the rest)
No, it's not...if a god can create morality, as you so recently expressed.
Yeah obviously it's not true if God can create morality. That's beside the point. I never said it's possible for God to create morality in any possible world. The hypothetical was saying, if it can in any possible world, then (a). However if can't then (b). Not A (ie. it's impossible), therefore (b).
"Obviously it's not true" does not qualify as a rational argument, Mystic. You described a scenario in which it -is- tautologically true. It's not "beside the point"...you made it -part- of your point..now show a little responsibility.

It still doesn't matter...because your "B" doesn't follow anyway...and is a false dichotomy, additionally.

Tell me how you could have fucked it up more completely if you'd been trying to fuck it up....I don't think that you could have.
c->a
Not c -> b
Not a
Therefore Not c
Therefore b.

b would follow from not a.
Stop, you're stuttering.  Address my comments or give up the pretense that you are addressing my comments.
(January 9, 2016 at 4:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Stop, you're stuttering.  Address my comments or give up the pretense that you are addressing my comments.
You said it didn't follow. I was showing how it did.

The statement that it can't be morally/good in any possible world to torture a being for no crime intensely forever and ever...doesn't follow from the statement, It's stated by itself but if that is the contention, we can get into a dialogue about that. If a hypothetical eternal being can decide that to be it's morality, why can't we? So do you believe we can make it so that it's good for us to torture kids for no crime, put acid on them? No. Can you even say 100% we can't decide this. I believe so.

But it you accept that premise, and the "tautology", then it follows it's impossible for a Creator to create morality while it didn't always exist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7083 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3855 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2624 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 61923 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 47703 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cartoons: propaganda versus the giant gorilla Deepthunk 4 1883 October 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 6007 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 18028 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12615 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7214 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K