Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 1:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My views on objective morality
RE: My views on objective morality
(March 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:08 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: I know that you personally understand that rape is horrible, CL.  But making excuses for why God has set up his own creations to have the desire, motivation, opportunity, and ability to rape each other ("he has his reasons") is in a way excusing the act it's self.  What possible reason could there be?  It leads to a dangerous way of thinking.  It leads to a diminished appreciation for human suffering.  

Chinese women who put their new born baby girls in trees to die of exposure told themselves it was okay, because there was a "plan"; that the babies would be reincarnated without any memories of their short, tortured lives.  

Saying "this seems fucked up, but what do I know," is a slippery slope.  How many Germans probably said that to themselves?

To be fair, this is a bit of a straw man. 

What I was saying is that God has His reasons for creating SEX, verses having us reproduce via stork or some other non sexual means. Even though sex can be used wrongly by us humans and thus can cause a lot of harm, I trust that God has seen everything (unlike myself) and that He has seen that the good that comes from sex far outweighs the bad that can come from it.

This is bullshit.  You're not answerable for how anyone feels about what they think your beliefs mean.  Sharing your beliefs or discussing them is a gift that you can bestow or withdraw at any time.  I know which I would do right now in your shoes.
(March 7, 2016 at 5:03 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 4:53 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: God could have prevented rape by designing humans to mate seasonally and according to pheromonal triggers as many organisms do, while lacking a sex drive outside of these times.

Very true, and I have thought about this myself before too. When I was in my early teen years, I was convinced God made a mistake by designing sex. I thought, if sex didn't exist, neither would rape, abortion, over population, unwanted pregnancies...and even things like parent on child abuse and poverty would probably decrease by a landslide.

Now a days, I can put things into perspective better:

Here I am, one little human person out of an entire universe, occupying it for a tiny fraction of time, and I think I know better than God? The being who created everything and everyone? The being who can see the whole universe all at once, past, present, and future? Does it make any logical sense to think I know better than He does? 

...And then of course, logically follows the argument of whether or not the God I believe in actually does exist. I have my reasons for believing He does, and the video on the OP explains a small part of it, but the major part of it is the supernatural experience I had.
(March 7, 2016 at 6:24 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:13 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: So why not hold God to the same standard?!  

As I said, I don't know why God allows nature to take its course. I don't know why He doesn't intervene. But I'm okay with not knowing, because I'm not God and it makes no sense that a human would have all the same wisdom and knowledge as a being who created the universe and who can see everything in it - past present and future.

Scratch and reverse that:

It makes no sense that a being who created his own universe and who can see everything in it would not have the same standards for love and empathy that he has imbued his creations with.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(March 7, 2016 at 6:26 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: To be fair, this is a bit of a straw man. 

What I was saying is that God has His reasons for creating SEX, verses having us reproduce via stork or some other non sexual means. Even though sex can be used wrongly by us humans and thus can cause a lot of harm, I trust that God has seen everything (unlike myself) and that He has seen that the good that comes from sex far outweighs the bad that can come from it.

This is bullshit.  You're not answerable for how anyone feels about what they think your beliefs mean.  Sharing your beliefs or discussing them is a gift that you can bestow or withdraw at any time.  I know which I would do right now in your shoes.

Thank you Whateverist.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(March 7, 2016 at 6:12 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: Why blame Cathy for the little girl you keep threatening to rape in your imagination?
I don't blame her for the countless rapes endured over the centuries. Nor do I blame her god, since it doesn't exist.  I blame her for her religious excuses...which she "freely" chose to offer. In a thread -she- started, pontificating over objective morality, and gods authorship thereof, of his claim to -my- goodness by granting it to me -as claimed..by her...repeatedly.

The sheer fucking affrontery is too much to keep my mouth shut about.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 6:29 pm)Rhythm Wrote: The fucking affrontery is too much to keep my mouth shut about.

I don't feel at all affronted by assertions that are just wrong in my opinion. They're also wrong, as I pointed out, when looking at recent research data.

Christians have a problem in that department. A problem, we don't have and never had since we left faith. Certain things have to stay true in order to make the whole god story work. So, I certainly don't blame CL, since she at least delivers them in a more respectful way than our resident evangelicals.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 7, 2016 at 6:27 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:24 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: As I said, I don't know why God allows nature to take its course. I don't know why He doesn't intervene. But I'm okay with not knowing, because I'm not God and it makes no sense that a human would have all the same wisdom and knowledge as a being who created the universe and who can see everything in it - past present and future.

Scratch and reverse that:

It makes no sense that a being who created his own universe and who can see everything in it would not have the same standards for love and empathy that he has imbued his creations with.  

I'm not saying He doesn't. I believe His love and empathy far surpasses ours, since I believe He is love itself. What I'm saying is that He can see that in the grand scheme of things, letting nature take its course is better for us than resorting to divine intervention every time someone is about to do something wrong.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
I dare say the countless people who were burned at the stake would disagree.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
Better for us?  I think we might want to ask the victims about that, about the redeeming features of rape. How it benefits the rest of us.

@abaris...respectful....of what, of whom? Certainly not the victims of the crime she's excusing, or the people whose morality she lays claim to for christ.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 6:26 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(March 7, 2016 at 6:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: To be fair, this is a bit of a straw man. 

Oh, come on Whateverist. CL is a big girl. She comes here at will and knows that her beliefs and motivations will be challenged. And if she feels she's being misunderstood she is perfectly capable of clarifying herself. There's no need to coddle.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2183 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3362 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11007 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 40348 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1397 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5894 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8458 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3642 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14160 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4560 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm