Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 12:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence for atheist claims
RE: Evidence for atheist claims
Can someone explain to me why this guy thinks none of us study or have studied theology? I have a deep and abiding fascination with religion, going back to when I was a Christian, myself, because I think it reveals a great deal about human nature.

I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that several of the members here have taken more university-level courses in religion, and read more books of Christian apologetics, than the OP.
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

My biggest problem with "theology" is it's a misnomer. The study of religion is fine, but the etymology behind it implies it is the "study of God."

The theologians that try to study God and try and discern his motivations are full of shit. The aspect to theology that is simply the study of religion, now that aspect is perfectly valid and interesting.
(May 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Can someone explain to me why this guy thinks none of us study or have studied theology? I have a deep and abiding fascination with religion, going back to when I was a Christian, myself, because I think it reveals a great deal about human nature.

I'd be willing to bet a fair amount of money that several of the members here have taken more university-level courses in religion, and read more books of Christian apologetics, than the OP.

Because in their world if only we knew what they knew we'd believe as well. So if we do know what they know and don't believe then they must be wrong and that just can't be true.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 4, 2016 at 2:10 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Can someone explain to me why this guy thinks none of us study or have studied theology? I have a deep and abiding fascination with religion, going back to when I was a Christian, myself, because I think it reveals a great deal about human nature.

Especially considering the existence of, and fast growing,  "The Clergy Project".

http://clergyproject.org/

This organization exists solely for current and ex-clergy who no longer believe, and need support in finding a real job. The sad thing is, that many of them are still at the pulpit, preaching crap they no longer believe, because they have no actual skills. They still have families to support. 

In 2011 when the organisation was founded, there were only 52 members. The membership is over 11 times that (almost 700) only 5 years later.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I understand the huge barriers some theists put up regarding seriously studying new things.

If they study them, they might end up being convinced by them. And this could put them at odds with their deeply held beliefs. If they come to realise that actually there are perfectly reasonable explanations for how the Earth came to be, or how we evolved from other apes, then they've got a serious problem. They either admit their previous beliefs were unfounded, or live with severe cognitive dissonance as they try and persuade themselves to believe them anyway.

It's understandable why they keep science at arm's length and throw rotten tomatoes at it. Knowledge is dangerous to religion. And that's a really sad thing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 4, 2016 at 3:28 pm)robvalue Wrote: I understand the huge barriers some theists put up regarding seriously studying new things.

If they study them, they might end up being convinced by them. And this could put them at odds with their deeply held beliefs. If they come to realise that actually there are perfectly reasonable explanations for how the Earth came to be, or how we evolved from other apes, then they've got a serious problem. They either admit their previous beliefs were unfounded, or live with severe cognitive dissonance as they try and persuade themselves to believe them anyway.

It's understandable why they keep science at arm's length and throw rotten tomatoes at it. Knowledge is dangerous to religion. And that's a really sad thing.

Very few fundamentalists, continue to be fundamentalists, after attending seminary.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
I think many fundamentalists stay fundamentalist regardless of the evidence or reason to the contrary.
Proof deities don't exist.

Every day, all over the world, millions of people pray for fewer Mondays and more Fridays in the week.

So far, nothing has changed.

Check mate, Christians.
Dying to live, living to die.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't. Of course, I haven't studied the morality of Hansel and Gretel either, which also reveals a lot about human nature, and like the Bible is equally superficial ... and fictional.

Actually, he says he's 18.  That might be the answer that you're looking for.  Teenager.  Certain that he knows more than most people (with the exception of some of his professors and favorite authors.)  New in a Seminary, surrounded by people who think exactly like he does, and probably believes that he has a message for the world.  You caught his nose in the air boast that surely nobody here knows more than a college seminary student, right?  He's running on pure ego.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayaan Hirsi Ali now claims to be Christian. Brian37 26 1727 November 17, 2023 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2560 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3415 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1732 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4916 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8272 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2932 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1063 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Scary claims of God's punishments debunk_pls 30 4058 September 24, 2021 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2613 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball