Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 12:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Supernatural Evidence?
RE: Supernatural Evidence?
You have a problem identifying the things you want even when you get them.  That's understandable, since you keep talking about reasons and rationality, throwing out terms associated to both, without understanding any of them.

This is super simple.  There is no such thing as "supernatural evidence" or what you almost certainly believe to be it's competitor, "natural evidence".  There is only evidence.  That which is evident.  If a person is open to evidence, by default, they'd be open to evidence that happened to refer to the supernatural, whatever that means, however you could determine it, whatever it is.  

Never gets any farther than that, though, does it?  Does it matter whether or not a person is open to something you do not possess?  I mean, ofc, does it matter for anything other than the common christer attempt at summary dismissal of anyone who doesn't believe what they believe about magic book?

Go ahead, tell me more about the crystal ball you keep on your shelf. Sounds like a super rational subject. Can it locate my car keys?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 18, 2016 at 7:04 pm)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: "You do know that the Muslims do the exact same thing with the Koran, right? Just google "scientific discoveries koran" or something similar. And their examples of the same thing you are doing are just as 'impressive', meaning, not at all."

Yeah, they where a stretch though, by alot. Nowhere near as clear as what the bible reveals. Also, the Koran says the bible is the inspired word of god. So if the koran was true,
That would make the bible true, and because the bible ia true, all other additions to scripture are false. Alot of you guys who like to write them all off as the same thing, realy don't understand the difference in relevence, historicity, revelation, prophecy, etc. But i expect as much.

You know i havn't been running around here arguing with everybody thinking i'd 'win some souls to the Lord', i fully expected some general dissmisal of what i have to say.

Now what i was and still am hoping for, are good reasons why all of my reasons are not justified. All i keep hearing is disbelief

Nothing for nothing but Daniel says that certain things are sealed up until the end, therefor are not in the bible.

Dan 12:9 "Go your way, Daniel, because the words are rolled up and sealed until the time of the end.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Job also says,

Quote:“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding,
Who set its measurements? Since you know.
Or who stretched the line on it?
“On what were its bases sunk?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
When the morning stars sang together
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?

“Or who enclosed the sea with doors
When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb;
When I made a cloud its garment
And thick darkness its swaddling band,
And I placed boundaries on it
And set a bolt and doors,
And I said, ‘Thus far you shall come, but no farther;
And here shall your proud waves stop’?

Where is this cornerstone? Where are these doors? Why is Job only accurate in certain places? Is this not the sign of modern eyes reinterpreting the old?

Quote:Freshwater submarine springs occur all over the world. from New York to California, from Bahrain to Barbados. Water pushing to the surface of the sea shows the boil of the spring and can be spotted easily when the tides are low.

As the article states, these springs arise when fresh water is transported in rocky conduits out into the ocean. No divine wisdom necessary here - just the ordinary observational skills of a typical scientifically-ignorant Bronze Age sea captain.

http://home.nctv.com/jackjan/item65.htm

How do you know that the springs of the sea is not referring to this mundane phenomena?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Quote:Nothing for nothing but Daniel says that certain things are sealed up until the end, therefor are not in the bible.

Dan 12:9 "Go your way, Daniel, because the words are rolled up and sealed until the time of the end.

How charmingly ad hoc.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 18, 2016 at 7:04 pm)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: "You do know that the Muslims do the exact same thing with the Koran, right? Just google "scientific discoveries koran" or something similar. And their examples of the same thing you are doing are just as 'impressive', meaning, not at all."

Yeah, they where a stretch though, by alot. Nowhere near as clear as what the bible reveals. Also, the Koran says the bible is the inspired word of god. So if the koran was true,
That would make the bible true, and because the bible ia true, all other additions to scripture are false. Alot of you guys who like to write them all off as the same thing, realy don't understand the difference in relevence, historicity, revelation, prophecy, etc. But i expect as much.

You know i havn't been running around here arguing with everybody thinking i'd 'win some souls to the Lord', i fully expected some general dissmisal of what i have to say.

Now what i was and still am hoping for, are good reasons why all of my reasons are not justified. All i keep hearing is disbelief

Well you know God was probably pretty tired by the time Mohammed came along and maybe he thought just adding a few pages in a new volume was easier than a complete re-write?
(October 18, 2016 at 7:31 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Nothing for nothing but Daniel says that certain things are sealed up until the end, therefor are not in the bible.

How charmingly ad hoc.

Boru

Whatever dude, some believers think the bible is the "complete and total word of God", bible says it's not.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder

Yeah, they where a stretch though, by alot. Nowhere near as clear as what the bible reveals.

Absolutely false.

Coming from someone that is completely outside both, Christian and Muslim, belief systems, your examples are no less stretching than the Koran versions.

You are just special pleading. Just one among several fallacies you are guilty of.

Quote:Also, the Koran says the bible is the inspired word of god. So if the koran was true,

Non sequitur. Another one of those pesky fallacies.

None of that is important to the claim both, Muslims and Christians make, about their texts containing scientific discoveries their cultures could have known about without the input from a god

Quote:You know i havn't been running around here arguing with everybody thinking i'd 'win some souls to the Lord', i fully expected some general dissmisal of what i have to say.

Offer bad evidence, expect dismissal of your unsupported assertions. That's the way it works when you are talking to people who care if their beliefs are true or not.

Here's a little pro tip: the Bible is not evidence, it IS the claim.

Quote:Now what i was and still am hoping for, are good reasons why all of my reasons are not justified. All i keep hearing is disbelief

Another failure of logic 101.

You are the one making the claim, you are the one that has the burden of proof. It's not our fault you continue to offer bad evidence.

[/quote]

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(October 18, 2016 at 7:31 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Job also says,

Quote:“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding,
Who set its measurements? Since you know.
Or who stretched the line on it?
“On what were its bases sunk?
Or who laid its cornerstone,
When the morning stars sang together
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?

“Or who enclosed the sea with doors
When, bursting forth, it went out from the womb;
When I made a cloud its garment
And thick darkness its swaddling band,
And I placed boundaries on it
And set a bolt and doors,
And I said, ‘Thus far you shall come, but no farther;
And here shall your proud waves stop’?

Where is this cornerstone?  Where are these doors?  Why is Job only accurate in certain places?  Is this not the sign of modern eyes reinterpreting the old?

Well, you understand that the bible wasn't written down for a long while and then translated so many times that only certain parts remain the "true word" of god. That's why they have to pick and choose and take sections out of context. Only a true believer can discern the difference.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 18, 2016 at 2:58 pm)abaris Wrote:
(October 17, 2016 at 9:01 pm)Jehanne Wrote: Yes, absolutely.  Let "god" heal a 1,000 adult amputees of his/her/its own choosing and I will renounce my atheism publicly, right on this board!

One growing back a limb would suffice. To prove the supernatural that is. Not to prove god. The one and only god you claim to be the one and only. Which is but one out of many. So not even if we were to give you the supernatural and it being a god's work, does it prove to be your scripted christian god of your denomination. Since even christians don't agree on one definition.

I'm an atheist, but if some amputee did have a completely restored limb, I would at least become a theist.
But the upside is they can pretty much cherry pick the parts inter-changably to make any point they like. Versatile.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2562 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3423 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1734 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4917 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8282 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2933 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Exclamation Supernatural and Atheism Eclectic 322 27586 January 3, 2023 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1063 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Legal evidence of atheism Interaktive 16 2615 February 9, 2020 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Evidence for Believing Lek 368 50831 November 14, 2019 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII