Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 7:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Member Photos
RE: Member Photos
(January 7, 2012 at 6:42 am)whateverist Wrote: Australia? I hear that area is pretty spectacular. Do salt water crocodiles get up into this river? (I think I'd much rather risk riding motorcycle in traffic than salties in the water.)

Not meaning to be snarky but it's more than an area, it's a continent with a variety of landscapes, no truly high mountains though. There aren't any crocodiles in my area, they are extremely rare 800km north, very common 1800km north. Like most places you're most likely to die in a car, not that the roads are unusually hazardous. Salt water crocs do spoil the fun where they live, sharks probably swim past you all the time and you never know, crocs are a different story. I'm at a similar latitude as San Diego.

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
If nothing else..Australia will give you a huge dose of reality and how insignificant you (hominids in general) are in the scheme of things.

So things I taught my kids:

EVERYTHING can defend itself...including bacteria

EVERYTHING is out to eat you...unless you eat it first...(Only country on the planet that actually eats it coat of arms..so I understand)

A spider invades the house...KILL ON SIGHT! ...we'll identify it later. (Esp: White Tails, Funnel Webs, Red backs, Huntsmans, Black and Brown House spiders and Daddy Long legs. (We don't live in their houses so I fail to see why they can live in ours and scare the crap out of my kids)

Koalas, Kangaroos, Wombats, Tasmanian Devils and Platypuses' are NOT cute and cuddly; along with Goannas they will rend you apart as soon as look at you and they carry many fungal and bacteria infections that medicine has not encountered yet.

DO NOT GO SWIMMING IN THE OCEAN at Dawn or Dusk!!...And NO Lisa-Jade you can NOT have a White Pointer Shark as a pet!!

Irrigangi are NOTHING like squishi!! They are nastier because you can't see them. Blue Bottles are fine as long as they are stranded on the beach and you squash them with sand first, they do make a delightful popping sound

When walking in the bush make as much stomping noise as possible esp in January and February so the snakes have time to get away from you.

Crocodiles CAN climb stairs so don't think you are safe there ....observe warning signs!!

And Finally...the OUT BACK doesn't have a Macdonalds on every corner..it doesn't HAVE corners and if you don't take enough water with you, you WILL die.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I would rather take my chances with
a Great White than a Salt Water although
on paper it looks academic as both could rip
you in half in no time at all but even so here is
my reasoning : sharks may not attack unless they
smell blood or are hungry and they tend to be solitary
creatures too. Crocodiles however are pack animals : you
come across one and there will be others also. They are just
as dangerous on land as in water so you can never know when
you are safe. At least you are not going to encounter a shark any
where other than at sea so long as not in it you are fine. Once heard
that the torque exerted by a croc clamping its jaws was the eqivalent of
a double decker bus driven over your head - definitely not some thing you
want to experience - though the shark ain t no slouch in that department either
Just go and ask that man who had his arm ripped off by one whilst swimming off
the coast of South Africa last year. He was very lucky not to have bled to death after
Thanks to the locals but if that had been a croc would his chances have not been worse
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Everyone I work with seems to believe that Australia is the greatest place on the planet (despite having never visited), but given the massive rises in living costs, property prices, the Aus$ and the unthinkable amount of creatures that will poison, maim, kill and eat you, and the expanses of barren land, I personally shall only visit for a holiday.
(January 7, 2012 at 9:41 am)5thHorseman Wrote: Everyone I work with seems to believe that Australia is the greatest place on the planet (despite having never visited), but given the massive rises in living costs, property prices, the Aus$ and the unthinkable amount of creatures that will poison, maim, kill and eat you, and the expanses of barren land, I personally shall only visit for a holiday.

We'll be happy to show you around 5th. Big Grin Better make it for a month...that way you get to see all of the major cities.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Oh, I definately plan on visiting, where are you and Zen?
(January 7, 2012 at 10:10 am)5thHorseman Wrote: Oh, I definately plan on visiting, where are you and Zen?

We are on the West Coast...Perth. Really nice weather over here most of the time, which is why I think your colleagues think Australia is wonderful... lots of sunshine. Stu Denim I know is over here and I am thinking Michelle_Patton is as well. Puddin is in NSW Western slopes and pad is in South Australia...so essentially what I am saying is there is someone on this board from nearly every state..you shouldn't have any worries mate Thumb up ...except for the Drop Bears Wink
(January 7, 2012 at 8:19 am)The Magic Pudding Wrote:
(January 7, 2012 at 6:42 am)whateverist Wrote: Australia? I hear that area is pretty spectacular. Do salt water crocodiles get up into this river? (I think I'd much rather risk riding motorcycle in traffic than salties in the water.)

Not meaning to be snarky but it's more than an area, it's a continent with a variety of landscapes, no truly high mountains though. There aren't any crocodiles in my area, they are extremely rare 800km north, very common 1800km north. Like most places you're most likely to die in a car, not that the roads are unusually hazardous. Salt water crocs do spoil the fun where they live, sharks probably swim past you all the time and you never know, crocs are a different story. I'm at a similar latitude as San Diego.

Yeah, I meant your area in Oz.
(January 7, 2012 at 9:41 am)5thHorseman Wrote: Everyone I work with seems to believe that Australia is the greatest place on the planet (despite having never visited), but given the massive rises in living costs, property prices, the Aus$ and the unthinkable amount of creatures that will poison, maim, kill and eat you, and the expanses of barren land, I personally shall only visit for a holiday.

I will only go to australia when someone moves it closer.

Too far away man just too far.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 7, 2012 at 1:38 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote:

I will only go to australia when someone moves it closer.

Too far away man just too far.

I know! How close did Australia come to being named North Antartica? By far the more interesting of the southern continents and they talk with a nice accent, but unless you can afford first class you're not likely to survive the crossing. How long does it take now? 33 hours?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1189 131190 May 3, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  new member asswriter 8 293 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New member MistMuse 7 320 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 765 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 902 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 669 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1431 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1218 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2154 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2738 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one