Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 3:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Member Photos
RE: Member Photos
With Finnegan, we started with the nickname Iggy (Iggy and the Stooges), but I refused to name my kid Ignatious, so we settled on Finnegan, a nod to Joyce's novel. He doesn't like Iggy anymore, and goes by Finnegan.
With the second we decided to carry on the literary tradition and went with Huckleberry. He likes being called both Huck and Huckleberry, though once he starts kindergarten I think he'll stick with just Huck because it is easier for him to spell. Not to worry though, they both have very common middle names, so if they want they can go by those. I wanted them to have options. But we haven't met any other Finnegans or Huckleberries, and the kids seem to like that their names are unique.
(July 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm)festive1 Wrote: the kids seem to like that their names are unique.

I was one of 5 Rachels throughout my elementary school classes, and usually one of 3 in middle and high school. Had I been smart, I would have changed to Leah, but got teased so much through middle school for it being pronounced like Leia that I stuck with the way more common name. I've never forgiven my parents for giving me such a 'trendy' (at the time) name.

In other words, your kids will bless you.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
That's what we were aiming for. Not unheard of, made up names, just something as special and unique as they are Smile Sorry, gushy, mommy moment.
(July 5, 2013 at 3:14 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Lol, the Finnegan's Wake that I think of is a pub I'm fond of in Winston-Salem where a glass of Guinness is considered both acceptable "breakfast food" and "an appetizer."

We used to attend legendary St. Patty's Day parties at Finnegan's in Huntsville. My ex was a redhead of Irish decent and her birthday was March 17th... Our Finnegan's has been around for more than 50 years. It was a favorite watering hole for Von Braun and his German rocket scientists during the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs. The walls of the pub are covered with NASA related pictures. Sadly I just read earlier this week that they are closing the pub down. Another local Rocket City landmark bites the dust.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(July 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm)festive1 Wrote: That's what we were aiming for. Not unheard of, made up names, just something as special and unique as they are Smile Sorry, gushy, mommy moment.

Gush away - mine capitalized on a pop trend and got tired of thinking so they just used two sisters in the Old Testament, hoping to make a great-aunt happy. Bleh.

If I ever had a daughter, I'd want to name her "Morgan," or preferably "Joselyn,"
I like Joselyn, for the record.
I'm glad we had two boys. Title literary names for girls is somewhat lacking...
You have to mine folklore and legend for the good names for girls. I spent hours poring over naming books to find decent ones.
(July 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: Gush away - mine capitalized on a pop trend and got tired of thinking so they just used two sisters in the Old Testament, hoping to make a great-aunt happy. Bleh.

If I ever had a daughter, I'd want to name her "Morgan," or preferably "Joselyn,"

Morgan has always been a favorite of mine, though unfortunately Scruffy wants boring, traditional and Finnish names for our kids. I have gotten him to accept Denny for a girl, a tribute to my sister Jenny and my cousin and best friend Denise. I'm trying to get him used to the name Darcy, since it's pronounced the same in Finnish, Swedish and English. He shot down Garrus and Theoden for potential boys and Eowyn and Delenn for girls, though.. Dodgy
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Eowyn is such a beautiful name, and such a good character, though! Lots of people use Arwen, which is also beautiful, and Luthien, which is pretty too, but Eowyn was a strong and fierce woman - the only one out of the female cast of characters who made her choices over whether to be warrior or nurturer. I think that's a perfect name.
Re: Member Photos
Katie Hopkins wouldn't let her kids be friends with any of your kids....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1189 131099 May 3, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  new member asswriter 8 291 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New member MistMuse 7 320 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 744 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 902 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 669 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1426 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1217 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2150 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2732 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one