Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does science always upstage God?
RE: Why does science always upstage God?
alpha male Wrote:
Mister Agenda Wrote:Are you saying that because it hasn't been demonstrated, it's unreasonable to think that it happened?

Think is too vague there. If you mean speculate, sure, knock yourself out.

Proof that you can't die from irony....or is it hypocrisy, or a combination...I was not an English major.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(January 4, 2018 at 9:58 am)Astreja Wrote:
(January 4, 2018 at 8:40 am)alpha male Wrote: There are dozens of starting points. None of them are particularly good until they lead to an ending point. We don't have any ending points.

That's an utterly pathetic attitude towards science.  Thank you, however, for letting me know that it's a waste of time sourcing documents for you.

It is. The simple fact is that we have multiple explanations for abiogenesis. And all may have occurred at various times bar the one of which we are aware. We are simply the result of the one which succeeded. There could have been many and likely were.

Why the god botherers think this is a killer argument is beyond me. They cannot know how many times abiogenesis occurred no more than anyone else, yet somehow, they claim to know that it happened precisely once only.

Putting the "fun" into "fundie", it takes some Hubris to make such a claim.
(January 4, 2018 at 3:45 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: It is. The simple fact is that we have multiple explanations for abiogenesis.

And the simple conclusion from that simple fact is that none of them have been shown to be correct.
(January 4, 2018 at 3:55 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(January 4, 2018 at 3:45 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: It is. The simple fact is that we have multiple explanations for abiogenesis.

And the simple conclusion from that simple fact is that none of them have been shown to be correct.

None of them have claimed to be correct, just plausible routes. Except one.

The only one with a claim to be correct is religion.

Why is that?
(January 4, 2018 at 4:05 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: None of them have claimed to be correct, just plausible routes.

Neither have they been shown to be plausible routes.
Really?  The fact that life currently -is- a series of chemical reactions doesn't strongly suggest to you that the explanation of life's origin lies in an explanation of those chemical reactions?  

Regardless, mind you, of whether "goddidit" or they fell like tumblers in a biological lock?

I van;t help but ask what you think is being discussed here, and wonder whether or not you realize that the only alternative to abiogenesis on a fundamental level is the magical arrangement of every single molecule in living creature with no attendant identifiable physical process associated by a similarly magical and not in any way natural "creature" or result of any natural process. All other explanations, including "goddidits" not covered in that needlingly specific example....are examples of some form of abiogenesis.

If god used a natural process, any natural process, then this is an example of a natural process by which life can arise from non-life. If he used his magi to place the ingredients in contact with each other, it is the attendent process and not his fiddling around which explains life. If he fiddled around with the wrong ingredients the same reaction would not occur. It doesn't stop being what it is just because you think a god pulled a lever or pushed a button. There is a fact that, on this planet, life arose from a place in which there was and could not previously be any such life. There are hypothesis as to -what- that process might be, but no rational or factual disagreement on just what it is we're trying to explain.

The chemical route is the only known plausible route for the emergence of life because it is, currently, the only known way from which life still arises. Life -is- chemistry, as another poster so succinctly put it. Gods, otoh, are fairy stories we scare and/or amuse our children with.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 4, 2018 at 4:10 pm)alpha male Wrote:
(January 4, 2018 at 4:05 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: None of them have claimed to be correct, just plausible routes.

Neither have they been shown to be plausible routes.

One fail for you. 

You could have acknowledged that there are many routes and proposed your own, but no. To you, there is only your fairy tale. SAD.
It shows a complete lack of respect and curiosity for both god and science.  You'd think that christians would be elated to know -how- their god did it.  They aren't. The prospect of any explanation and the possibility that the how just -might- conflict with their divine attribution of the who in the case of the shared what...... is clearly perceived as an existential threat to their beliefs.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 4, 2018 at 4:26 pm)Abaddon_ire Wrote: One fail for you. 

Prove me wrong.

So far we've seen that scientists can synthesize amino acids. That's it.

(January 4, 2018 at 3:23 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Proof that you can't die from irony....or is it hypocrisy, or a combination...I was not an English major.

Have you considered the title of the thread?
(January 4, 2018 at 4:30 pm)alpha male Wrote: So far we've seen that scientists can synthesize amino acids. That's it.
-and "god" can....what?  Find lost wallets?  Impressionist skyscraper soap art? Thanks, but I think I'm in with the chemists and biologists on this question of the origin of life....just like any religious chemist or biologist is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does anyone convert to Islam? FrustratedFool 28 2239 September 6, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2720 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6682 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 5066 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why are angels always males? Fake Messiah 63 5687 October 9, 2021 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11167 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1379 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7350 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7037 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4842 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler