Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does science always upstage God?
RE: Why does science always upstage God?
(October 11, 2021 at 3:38 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: We can know whether a thing is objective when it fits the definition of an objective proposition.  

For example, if I say that something about curbstomping a kid makes it wrong - that's an objective claim.  I

Actually that does not fit the definition of an objective claim. In fact, that's the opposite of an objective claim.

I'm pasting from the Google dictionary here but for "objective" I come up with:

1. (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

or this may fit our context:

2. not dependent on the mind for existence; actual

Either way your statement wasn't objective. It either came from your personal feelings or opinions orrrrrrr it came from your mind.

(You're seeing the dismantling happening. Sometimes it takes multiple sentences, though, so try to keep up.)
That's what I just told you...you realize?

Lets say god doesn't like people who pray to other gods. Therefore it's morally wrong to pray to other gods. This is a subjective moral claim - because it's premised on the gods opinions of an act or people who do it. Conversely, we could say that there's nothing wrong with praying to gods because it doesn't hurt anyone. This is an objective claim, because it references what praying to other gods does or doesn't do.

In the first case, if the gods opinion changes, the moral nature of the act changes. In the second, no matter who has what opinion of the act or people who do it it either does or does not hurt people.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 11, 2021 at 3:46 pm)ayost Wrote:
(October 11, 2021 at 3:38 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: We can know whether a thing is objective when it fits the definition of an objective proposition.  

For example, if I say that something about curbstomping a kid makes it wrong - that's an objective claim.  I

Actually that does not fit the definition of an objective claim. In fact, that's the opposite of an objective claim.

1. (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

Either way your statement wasn't objective. It either came from your personal feelings or opinions orrrrrrr it came from your mind.

(You're seeing the dismantling happening. Sometimes it takes multiple sentences, though, so try to keep up.)

I think what TGN said pretty exactly fits in with your definitions. Why would you say it doesn’t?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 11, 2021 at 3:23 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: We've got another one that's confused a fairy's subjective whims for an objective system.

Actually if there is a God that is the standard of truth and He gives us His standard for morality and we use that standard for morality and that standard doesn't come from our minds or feelings or opinions then it would be objective.

At least from our point of view as the created beings.

(October 11, 2021 at 3:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(October 11, 2021 at 3:46 pm)ayost Wrote: Actually that does not fit the definition of an objective claim. In fact, that's the opposite of an objective claim.

I think what TGN said pretty exactly fits in with your definitions. Why would you say it doesn’t?

Boru

No one is talking to you.
(October 11, 2021 at 3:54 pm)ayost Wrote:
(October 11, 2021 at 3:23 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: We've got another one that's confused a fairy's subjective whims for an objective system.

Actually if there is a God that is the standard of truth and He gives us His standard for morality and we use that standard for morality and that standard doesn't come from our minds or feelings or opinions then it would be objective.

(October 11, 2021 at 3:53 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think what TGN said pretty exactly fits in with your definitions. Why would you say it doesn’t?

Boru

Moderator Notice
Go read the rules. Attempting to prevent someone from posting is against one of them.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(October 11, 2021 at 3:54 pm)ayost Wrote:

Objective moral systems can't be god-mind dependent, either.  Something about an object x must be true or false, not something about a subject y.

There is no "his standard" or "her standard" or "my standard" or "your standard" in moral objectivism. That..is moral subjectivity, by definition.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 11, 2021 at 3:51 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: That's what I just told you...you realize?  

Lets say god doesn't like people who pray to other gods.  Therefore it's morally wrong to pray to other gods.  This is a subjective moral claim - because it's premised on the gods opinions of an act or people who do it.  Conversely, we could say that there's nothing wrong with praying to gods because it doesn't hurt anyone.  This is an objective claim, because it references what praying to other gods does or doesn't do.

In the first case, if the gods opinion changes, the moral nature of the act changes.  In the second, no matter who has what opinion of the act or people who do it it either does or does not hurt people.

Actually that's not the definition of objective facts. That was actually just a really stupid statement.

I expected more, I guess.

Great

(October 11, 2021 at 3:59 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(October 11, 2021 at 3:54 pm)ayost Wrote: Actually if there is a God that is the standard of truth and He gives us His standard for morality and we use that standard for morality and that standard doesn't come from our minds or feelings or opinions then it would be objective.

Objective moral systems can't be god-mind dependent, either.  Something about an object x must be true or false, not something about a subject y.

There is no "his standard" or "her standard" or "my standard" or "your standard" in moral objectivism.  That..is moral subjectivity, by definition.

Wow, ok, no. An objective fact comes from outside you. It's not dependent on you. It's true no matter what. If it comes from your mind, no matter what it is, it's not objective.

Also, I'm saying that the moral standards from my God never change, so if we are using my God's morality then it would be objective.

(October 11, 2021 at 3:58 pm)arewethereyet Wrote:
(October 11, 2021 at 3:54 pm)ayost Wrote: Actually if there is a God that is the standard of truth and He gives us His standard for morality and we use that standard for morality and that standard doesn't come from our minds or feelings or opinions then it would be objective.

Moderator Notice
Go read the rules.  Attempting to prevent someone from posting is against one of them.  

I can't prevent someone from posting. I don't have that power. Nor did I tell him to stop posting. I told him he wasn't part of the conversation. I don't care what he posts. I'm not reading them.
Well, you're certainly free to object. That's kindof the point of objectivity. Of trying to determine whether or not something about an act, rather than someone's opinion, makes a thing right or wrong.
(October 11, 2021 at 4:08 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Well, you're certainly free to object.  That's kindof the point of objectivity.  Of trying to determine whether or not something about an act, rather than someone's opinion, makes a thing right or wrong.

I don't think you actually know what moral realists mean when they say objective facts.
Does my level of knowledge on the subject of moral realism increase or decrease based on your opinion, or is there a fact of the matter?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does anyone convert to Islam? FrustratedFool 28 2231 September 6, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2716 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6670 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 4955 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why are angels always males? Fake Messiah 63 5674 October 9, 2021 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11154 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1379 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7331 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7016 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4835 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler