Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 12:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you people with long hair put it up?
RE: How do you people with long hair put it up?
I don't put it up.  I generally wear it in a single braid.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I could never grow mine longer than shoulder length, it kept breaking off. Buns were not a thing then, just tails. 

In grad school I was highly encouraged to cut it short as I would be judged negatively by the professionals I interacted with. Been short ever since.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 20, 2018 at 1:01 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I always let it fly free. Period. No ponytail. No bun. Or anything.

I think it depends on your style. I am pretty much an unwashed hippie. You gotta do what expresses you.

I'm exactly the same except I get my hair shaved down really short when it starts getting into my eyes.

On a semi-unrelated note... I am glad you're a Spinoza fan Big Grin

Personally for me he's second to Leibniz Big Grin

Although I agree that the universe is ultimately one entity, and that separate entities are an illusion... but I don't think that's quite what Spinoza was getting at. I guess I'm more of a Parmenides fan than anything. He got it all spot on a long while ago, to me.

And when it comes to the world of seeming, that we live in... Leibniz's monads make more sense to me. We are indeed all windowless. That's why I get pissed off when people pretend to have empathy Tongue

Just kidding. Empathy exists. But only when we acknowledge that it isn't truly putting yourself in another person's point of view... as that's metaphysically impossible unless we're all one mind. It's trying as best as you can to put yourself in the point of view that you yourself think the other person's point of view is, and getting it as close as possible to whatever their actual view is. How people do it I have no idea. I'm crap at it. Big Grin It's mostly because I'm so self-absorbed I think though. I can't be bothered to spend time on what other people think. Who cares what other people think Tongue

All I care about is what I think and other people are there to correct me if I'm wrong about stuff while I focus on correctness itself Big Grin

Anyway, to be clear the semi-on-topicness of this, in case you didn't notice and think "WTF is he talking about philosophy on a hair thread".... Spinoza and Leibniz both had long hair lol.
I had hair down to the middle of my back until I was in my late 40's. It was always in a ponytail. I tried to do a bun a few times, but it never held.

Now, I am shoulder length and just let it go free.
My man bun:

[Image: 20180420_083020.jpg]
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I used to put it in a pony tail and then add another hair tie for every ten centimetres or so.
About five hair ties all up.
Now I have it shaved on one side and chin length on the other, with a big grey beard. :-)
(April 20, 2018 at 8:35 am)Lutrinae Wrote: My man bun:

[Image: 20180420_083020.jpg]

I like the hairstyle of the lead singer/bassist here:

I was actually at this exact concert Big Grin

Here's another song from the same night:

Heading for 50 years of buzz cuts here, so this is a far distant country to me. Abaddonette the first is also buzzcut territory (by choice) Abaddonette the second is of the long hair variety. On a recent trip, Abaddonette the second had so many pins in said crowning glory that every alarm went off in the airport. We cruelly pointed and wept with the laughing as she had to slowly fillet her head. Did we rush to help? Nope. We just collapsed in laughter.
(April 20, 2018 at 3:00 am)J a c k Wrote:
(April 20, 2018 at 1:01 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: I always let it fly free. Period. No ponytail. No bun. Or anything.

I think it depends on your style. I am pretty much an unwashed hippie. You gotta do what expresses you.

Wut! I don’t know why I always thought you were bald.  Big Grin

You don't see these beautiful long hair?? ... look at his avatar Tongue

I just got rid of the problem ... I cut my hair Tongue
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
Hair tips that I've learned with long hair;

Try to use scrunchies not hard hair bands, hard or tight ones will break your hair when being pulled out.
Don't wash your hair everyday unless you have very oily hair because it strips it of it's natural oils and leaves it dry.
Bobby pins can be dangerous to hair if not removed nicely.
Try not to over brush your hair, even the best brushes will break your hair after too much brushing.
The best method of drying is air drying or using cotton.

With that said when I put my hair up I try to use loose clips so it doesn't tug on my hair. I twist it around into a bun then use a clip with wide claws to clip the end of it in place.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recipe: Not Sure Where to Put This ABQ505 2 291 December 10, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: ABQ505
  Long time no see T.J. 15 1343 August 8, 2019 at 11:19 am
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 1013 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2172 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Coconut Oil for the hair? Foxaèr 29 3078 May 31, 2018 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is long term monogamy unnatural for human beings? Catholic_Lady 102 15992 April 8, 2018 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6499 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How Long Does Someone Have to be Dead Before People stop Referring to them as Late? Rhondazvous 10 3093 May 18, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why do we put up with this? Drug/adds OP ED Brian37 19 2274 April 21, 2017 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  How long could you survive... Gawdzilla Sama 26 3472 April 12, 2017 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama