Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 4:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arguments against Soul
RE: Arguments against Soul
(January 29, 2020 at 11:21 am)tackattack Wrote: And so you'd obvious rather not define and discuss souls when presented the opportunity to, noted.

Wrong. I'd be rather excited to hear a real definition of what a soul is if you actually have one! However, I guarantee you don't. Please tell me:

What is a soul made of, physically?

How do we observe the soul, objectively?

How did you discover this method of observation?

Did you follow the scientific method in discovering and defining what the soul is?

Furthermore, how, exactly, does the soul work, specifically?

If you've actually found out what this "soul" is, you'll soon be the most famous person in the history of the world, for you will have made a discovery that has never before been made.

I'll wait patiently for your answer.

Once again, of course we have "definitions" of plenty of nonsensical shit out there. Doesn't mean these "definitions" give us anything worth talking about, and that was my original point.

I thought it was pretty obvious from my original post. You're smarter than that.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(January 31, 2020 at 11:01 pm)adey67 Wrote:

Nice to meet you as well. Abstract thinking is a fundamental part to scientific inquiry. A lot of our reasons for inquiry into scientific areas come from a societal philosophy. I think we can at least both agree that we look forward to discovering more about the mind and consciousness through AI and technology.

(February 1, 2020 at 3:43 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:

Granted that your definition of pain is only one dimensional I'll agree that feeling physical pain requires nerves. Also your definition of "actual data" isn't in line with psychological continuity theories on personalities. As with body dysmorphic disorders. What we image can have a real effect because it does load "actual data" into what and who we perceive ourselves, others and things to be.

(February 1, 2020 at 4:09 am)Gae Bolga Wrote:

I rarely know how to classify myself in the wide range of potential beliefs, so I greatly appreciate the moral realist label, for whatever that's worth. You may be arguing for whether a soul is real or not, but I clearly laid out in the beginning I could not meet the materialist definitions of "real" and was actually speaking about which theory were a better solution. Many people here try and press the sufficient reason that everything can be explained. Indeed consciousness, souls, aliens, and God all might one day be explained. I consider a soul an epistemical brute fact I suppose, so probably DOA for you. I guess an alternate stance some have is that we are a soul, rather than we have a soul. I am of the belief that we are a soul. That the physiological continuum that defined you at 3 and now at 30 is based on multiple inputs. Some are metaphysical, physical... I just believe that another input is spiritual. I believe that soul exists and informs the spirit (as it informs our soul), which returns to God after mortal life ends. The Spirit (Holy Spirit) in us, is not the same as the soul. A thought is not the same as a brain state. An identity is not the sum of only all of the physical inputs to a brain. We seems to have the ability to choose our course and our attention so we are not only deterministic. I'm not attempting to wax poetically, Gae. I'm just attempting to prove a conversation is possible and that a conclusion not likely. I do appreciate out conversations though.

To answer your question. I feel I have a soul when I experience cognitive dissonance and something informs the me (now) that something needs balancing. I feel I have a soul when a Spiritual or societal moral input conflicts with my personal morality (now). I feel I have a soul when something informs my intuition (now) that something is happening or needs to happen that I would have no insight over. etc...

(February 2, 2020 at 2:42 am)EgoDeath Wrote:

I'll just answer your questions as best I can then, and leave the other shit out there:

What is a soul made of, physically? I don't know what an incorporeal thing would be "made of", perhaps something non-baryonic.

How do we observe the soul, objectively? I would assume through phenomenology, but that rests on your definition of objective.

How did you discover this method of observation? See above

Did you follow the scientific method in discovering and defining what the soul is? No. Most people are just experiential in their day-to-day, as am I.

Furthermore, how, exactly, does the soul work, specifically? see above and previous posts.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(February 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm)tackattack Wrote: I rarely know how to classify myself in the wide range of potential beliefs, so I greatly appreciate the moral realist label, for whatever that's worth. You may be arguing for whether a soul is real or not, but I clearly laid out in the beginning I could not meet the materialist definitions of "real" and was actually speaking about which theory were a better solution. Many people here try and press the sufficient reason that everything can be explained. Indeed consciousness, souls, aliens, and God all might one day be explained. I consider a soul an epistemical brute fact I suppose, so probably DOA for you. I guess an alternate stance some have is that we are a soul, rather than we have a soul. I am of the belief that we are a soul. That the physiological continuum that defined you at 3 and now at 30 is based on multiple inputs. Some are metaphysical, physical... I just believe that another input is spiritual. I believe that soul exists and informs the spirit (as it informs our soul), which returns to God after mortal life ends. The Spirit (Holy Spirit) in us, is not the same as the soul. A thought is not the same as a brain state. An identity is not the sum of only all of the physical inputs to a brain. We seems to have the ability to choose our course and our attention so we are not only deterministic.  I'm not attempting to wax poetically, Gae. I'm just attempting to prove a conversation is possible and that a conclusion not likely. I do appreciate out conversations though.
I thought we would be having some conversation about why you decided that "soul" was the best explanation for things like mind and morality.  We're not.  You're just reasserting the articles of your faith in "soul".   You said it was the best explanation, you have continued to fail to demonstrate that it is at least -an- explanation.

Quote:To answer your question. I feel I have a soul when I experience cognitive dissonance and something informs the me (now) that something needs balancing. I feel I have a soul when a Spiritual or societal moral input conflicts with my personal morality (now). I feel I have a soul when something informs my intuition (now) that something  is happening or needs to happen that I would have no insight over. etc...
Are you feeling that with your physical senses, or your supernatural ones?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
physical.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(February 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm)tackattack Wrote: I'll just answer your questions as best I can then, and leave the other shit out there:

What is a soul made of, physically? I don't know what an incorporeal thing would be "made of", perhaps something non-baryonic.

So how do you know that a soul is incorporeal? How do you know it's "non-baryonic?" Furthermore, are you a physicist? Or are you just using these words to make it sound like you're saying more than you're actually saying?

I mean, if something is immaterial, how do we even know it is there? Faith?

(February 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm)tackattack Wrote: How do we observe the soul, objectively?  I would assume through phenomenology, but that rests on your definition of objective.

So, this is just a fancy way of saying you talk about the soul through philosophy. You're admitting that there is no objective, empirical way to observe the soul. Which is just as good as saying that we don't actually know it's there, not that we know what "it" even is.

(February 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm)tackattack Wrote: How did you discover this method of observation? See above

So, basically, you didn't discover any method.

(February 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm)tackattack Wrote: Did you follow the scientific method in discovering and defining what the soul is? No. Most people are just experiential in their day-to-day, as am I.

So once again, you're admitting that you simply claim to personally experience the soul, and that there is no empirical evidence for it.

(February 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm)tackattack Wrote: Furthermore, how, exactly, does the soul work, specifically? see above and previous posts.

So once again, the answer is you don't know.

So far, we've learned absolutely nothing about the "soul...." Other than, of course, that you've admitted that we cannot observe it objectively, that there is no empirical evidence for it and that you don't eve know what it is made of, how it works, or what it is. We've learned that it is, according to you, possibly immaterial, which is just as good as saying that it isn't there.

Not a very compelling "definition," is it?
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
My physical senses don't seem to work the same way that yours do Tack. I don't feel any soul. In fact, my physical senses don't provide me with any non natural information whatsoever.

You either have senses I don't, or you have a soul that I don't. I still have a moral sense, and a mind. What's the best explanation for my not having a soul, while still retaining those things you've claimed soul is the best explanation for?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So, @tackattack, what do you think about the argument that, if souls really existed, we wouldn't expect people who have been unconscious for a long time not to remember anything during that time, that we would expect them to remember either facing silent darkness or leaving their bodies?
(February 5, 2020 at 1:51 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: So, @tackattack, what do you think about the argument that, if souls really existed, we wouldn't expect people who have been unconscious for a long time not to remember anything during that time, that we would expect them to remember either facing silent darkness or leaving their bodies?

Why do you think that souls would be able to perceive anything without a working body?

All theologians in the Aristotelian tradition, including Aquinas, say that souls need a body to perceive anything.

Nihil est in intellectu quod non sit prius in sensu.
Tack thinks they can. Keep up.
Quote:Nihil est in intellectu quod non sit prius in sensu.

I find it somewhat odd that you'd use one of the core doctrines of empiricism to argue for the existence of an immaterial soul.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 708 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1734 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 16963 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4200 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19117 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 80058 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4749 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12386 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 52520 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1756 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist