Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Best Theistic Arguments
Best Theistic Arguments
I am going to debate a theist over the existence of god soon. What are the best arguments you ever heard from theists? Any tips on what topic to avoid in such an discussion? 
Thanks in advance
What is it you most dislike? Stupidity, especially in its nastiest forms of racism and superstition.” 

~ Christopher Hitchens
RE: Best Theistic Arguments
I have yet to see one of them produce an argument that can survive the "do you have evidence for your claim" test.

And it comes as a real shock to them when you tell them that their silly-assed bible is not evidence.  It is merely the claim.
My experience is that they will make grand claims at the beginning that they can't back up, will devolve into circular arguments, fallacies, and the like in the middle, and will eventually come down to "who are YOU to question god?" and threats of hell.
Dying to live, living to die.
There aren't any.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 8, 2018 at 5:29 pm)ShirkahnW Wrote: I am going to debate a theist over the existence of god soon. What are the best arguments you ever heard from theists? Any tips on what topic to avoid in such an discussion? 
Thanks in advance

Any tips? Yes, read these threads.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Don't get caught trying to disprove god. The ID people love that one.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 8, 2018 at 8:54 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Don't get caught trying to disprove god. The ID people love that one.

It's surprisingly easy for me, but that's just me.
~ Erin Hunter
They can't even define it, most of the time. If they do, and it's coherent, it's almost always unfalsifiable. If that's the case, there can't be any evidence for it, so it's just an unnecessary assumption. Job done.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
To be honest, the entire definition argument is just semantics wearing a dictionary cloak.

By all standards, we know what someone means when they refer to a god.
~ Erin Hunter
(April 8, 2018 at 10:47 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: To be honest, the entire definition argument is just semantics wearing a dictionary cloak.

By all standards, we know what someone means when they refer to a god.

Are you referring to my post?

If someone can't even define the terms they use, then they are talking crap and are wasting everyone's time. That's what pinning the theist down is supposed to avoid. It's not so much an argument as a starting point for any sensible discussion. If the theist falls at the starting line and not even the first hurdle, then that's too bad.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would this spark a theistic curiousity? Won2blv 7 640 September 9, 2023 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 694 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15682 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 23617 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19025 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
Wink Refuting Theistic Argument Ricardo 40 3132 October 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78215 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7043 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12138 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  ☢The Theistic Response➼ to Atheists saying, "It Doesn't mean God Did it" The Joker 195 22939 November 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia