Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence
My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence

RE: My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence
Even if the wish granting, magic sky despot could create an object that heavy, the story told would reflect how godiboi found an enchanted can of miracle spinach and all the glory is restored.
By its nature, you can’t actually refute a paradox. A common theological answer to the stone thing is that omnipotence does not extend into logical absurdities.

There are plenty of things God can’t do, either because they’re absurd or because they’re definitionally impossible. God can’t make 1+1=3 or create a square with five sides or create a being more powerful than himself. This doesn’t mean that God is not omnipotent in a theological sense.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 4, 2023 at 1:39 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: By its nature, you can’t actually refute a paradox. A common theological answer to the stone thing is that omnipotence does not extend into logical absurdities.

There are plenty of things God can’t do, either because they’re absurd or because they’re definitionally impossible. God can’t make 1+1=3 or create a square with five sides or create a being more powerful than himself. This doesn’t mean that God is not omnipotent in a theological sense.

Boru

I know. I just wanted to point out a little something I noted. No actual refuting there, despite how it seems. Just food for thought, that is all.
omnipotence, omniscience, or the most ridiculously Omnibenevolence seem to me to be things used by people who cannot even count up to all the fingers on one hand, to try to overawe each other with a fictional quantity so ginormous that it might take even more than the fingers on both hands to count
(September 4, 2023 at 1:53 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: omnipotence, omniscience, or the most ridiculously Omnibenevolence seem to me to be things used by people who cannot even count up to all the fingers on one hand, to try to overawe each other with a fictional quantity so ginormous that it might take even more than the fingers on both hands to count

Yeah, of course.

That said, omnipotence itself is a heavily flawed concept, as well as the other Omni traits god has. Plus, given that omnipotence has things against it, and how paradoxical it may be; if god did exist somehow, he would be insane, especially since he is more human like as I described on another thread.
it was never formulated as a cohesive concept. It was crafted by intellectual caveman, who wants to beat each other over the head with sticks that says my God is bigger than yours.

once my God is bigger than any other conceivable God becomes taken as dogma outside of which there is no salvation, people who are not quite caveman, but still not far from it, then try to make lemonade out of lemon by trying to explain away what omnipotent could possibly mean.
(September 4, 2023 at 12:54 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: I welcome any counter-arguments or the pointing out of any of the flaws this post might have, but still, what do you all think of this?

Take God out of the equation for a moment and consider a similar question: What happens when an irresistible force encounters an immovable body?

If there is an irresistible force then by definition there are no immovable bodies.

If there is an immovable body then by definition there is not an irresistible force.

You can't entertain the logic of such a situation while language itself is under assault by the premises.
(September 4, 2023 at 2:20 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(September 4, 2023 at 12:54 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote: I welcome any counter-arguments or the pointing out of any of the flaws this post might have, but still, what do you all think of this?

Take God out of the equation for a moment and consider a similar question: What happens when an irresistible force encounters an immovable body?

If there is an irresistible force then by definition there are no immovable bodies.

If there is an immovable body then by definition there is not an irresistible force.

You can't entertain the logic of such a situation while language itself is under assault by the premises.

Yeah, I see that. I just needed to get something off my chest, that is all.
In an interesting - and blatantly desperate - attempt to get round the omnipotence problem, some theologians claim that God’s omnipotence applies only to things that are not-God.

Special plead much, fellas?  Hilarious

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 15816 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2729 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 23675 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19031 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  Arguments against existence of God. Mystic 336 78250 December 7, 2018 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence for a god. Do you have any? Simplified arguments version. purplepurpose 112 12153 November 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Don't take it personally. Mystic 83 7332 October 16, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 51029 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
  What godly miracle would it take? Astonished 48 14598 October 8, 2017 at 11:01 pm
Question How Much Evidence Will It Take You To Believe In God??? Edward John 370 38767 November 16, 2016 at 4:03 am
Last Post: robvalue