Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 2:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't know how they do it.
RE: I don't know how they do it.
(October 31, 2019 at 4:54 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: Torque can also be measured in degrees.

Some bolts are torqued to a primary starting spot either in foot pounds - or slip capture (feeling a calibration washer's ability to be spun by hand) - then torqued to a measured turn of the bolt. Testing showed this is a more accurate method than ordinary torque wrenches.

I built parts for the service tool (Kent-Moore) for torqing the head bolts on GM's quad four engine.

I have one in my tool box.

I use the system of 'wring the nut off, then back it up a half turn'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 31, 2019 at 6:00 pm)onlinebiker Wrote:
(October 31, 2019 at 5:03 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: No, proper torque conceptualized in physics can not be expressed in degrees.    If you have a torsion spring with a known spring constant, it is possible to deduce how much torque is being applied by how many degrees the spring has twisted.    But that is not the same thing as saying torque is expressed as degrees  any more than the power of a car's engine may be reflected in how many miles an hour the car can go, but power of the car's engine can not be expressed in miles per hour. 

Torque can be thought of as the amount of oomph you put into twisting something around an axis of  rotation.    Degrees is how much you've succeeded in twisting something about an axis of rotation.

It is never good to try to learn basic concepts in physics using English units because English units try to shoehorn sharp and precise concepts into terminology conceived of during an earlier age of nebulous confusion, when weight, mass, and even force seemed much the same thing.

If you use metric units it becomes much more clear what is going on.     Torque in Metric is Newton-Meters.   Newtons is a unit of force.   Torque of one Newton-meter is the amount of twisting oomph that occurs at one end of a 1 meter lever arm when you apply a force of one Newtons on the other end of the lever arm.   If you apply twice the force, you get the same ommph with half the lever arm length.   Mass is the amount of resistance stuff has to changes in the direction and speed of its motion.    The effort to change the direction and speed of the motion is force.   Unit of mass is Kilograms, and unit of force is Newtons.    Weight is the force required to resist changes in direction and speed of motion of object under gravity.   Since weight is force, units of weight is also Newtons.

That's a whole lot of typing to prove you don't know what you are talking about.

Here's a link to the tool you say shouldn't exist.

https://www.ebay.com/p/848291326?iid=133..._vEALw_wcB

Physics =\= EBay

Is that little enough typing for you?
I call a tow truck when I bust a tire. I'm not going to roll around on a donut and free towing is included in my insurance. Making any knowledge of the hows and whys of proper nut twisting and semantics moot. I make the trash folks come out here even though I can burn and they don't have another customer for miles, too.

See..it's a comprehensive life philosophy.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
So, next time I hear someone bragging about how they work on their own car, I'd like to ask them if they also work on their:

Refrigerator
Laptop
Stove
Garage door
House (painting, drywall, lighting, electrical, etc.)
Television
Clocks
Phone
Shoes
Clothing
Microwave
Coffee maker
Lawn mower

I mean, if you want to live a life where you work on everything you own, then cool. More power to you. To me, if you're at the point where you're doing all of your own repairs/maintenance on everything listed above, you might as well go live in the woods and live off the land. Personally, even though I know how to change my oil, I'd rather go pay the $20-40 to have someone else do it. My time is more valuable than that $20-40, as I'd rather spend that 30 - 45 minutes reading a good book in the waiting area or making phone calls or checking emails.

Different strokes.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Our irrational valuation of self reliance is probably why we stagnated for 50k years after full modernity, btw. There's a lovely presentation on that comparing a hand axe to a mouse, if I can find it.

For awhile, it seems that every human being on earth knew how to make all the stuff, and most of the stuff was remarkably the same as any other bit of stuff. Life fucking -blew-. High art was stick figures, pop music was a bunch of whistles, hi tech was stone flakes, and wealth could be measured in the relative number of nights spent cold and starving.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 31, 2019 at 7:09 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: Our irrational valuation of self reliance is probably why we stagnated for 50k years after full modernity, btw.  There's a lovely presentation on that comparing a hand axe to a mouse, if I can find it.

For awhile, it seems that every human being on earth knew how to make all the stuff, and most of the stuff was remarkably the same as any other bit of stuff.  Life fucking -blew-.  High art was stick figures, pop music was a bunch of whistles, hi tech was stone flakes, and wealth could be measured in the relative number of nights spent cold and starving.

^^^

I can put my time into one of three buckets:

1. Things I do because I want to do them.
2. Things I do that my employer pays me handsomely for.
3. Sleep.

Being my own mechanic necessarily borrows from one of these three buckets.

Borrowing from #1 or #3 is not happening, ever. Borrowing from #2 is usually dumb from an economic standpoint.

If my employer paid me less handsomely, borrowing from #1 might be palatable and borrowing from #3 might make economic sense.

I suspect the OP has difficulty putting himself in other's shoes, or just simply lacks imagination, or perhaps they just like to boast and imagine themselves superior.

Contemplating that further definitely doesn't fit into bucket #1 though
(October 31, 2019 at 7:08 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: So, next time I hear someone bragging about how they work on their own car, I'd like to ask them if they also work on their:

Refrigerator
Laptop
Stove
Garage door
Television
Clocks
Phone
Shoes
Clothing
Microwave
Coffee maker
Lawn mower

I mean, if you want to live a life where you work on everything you own, then cool. More power to you. To me, if you're at the point where you're doing all of your own repairs/maintenance on everything listed above, you might as well go live in the woods and live off the land. Personally, even though I know how to change my oil, I'd rather go pay the $20-40 to have someone else do it. My time is more valuable than that $20-40, as I'd rather spend that 30 - 45 minutes reading a good book in the waiting area or making phone calls or checking emails.

Different strokes.

But, do you know why you change your oil? I mean, unless you know everything about every model made by a sub-par auto manufacturer, can you really call yourself a human? How do you live this way?

I'm taking the piss out of you a bit, OLB. I actually admire people that are handy. I am a handy person myself and come from a long line of handy people. I just had to tease you for the blatantly obvious humble brag that is this thread.
(October 31, 2019 at 7:08 pm)EgoDeath Wrote: So, next time I hear someone bragging about how they work on their own car, I'd like to ask them if they also work on their:

Refrigerator
Laptop
Stove
Garage door
Television
Clocks
Phone
Shoes
Clothing
Microwave
Coffee maker
Lawn mower

Different strokes.

My current hobby project is to make a functional replica of the Antikythera mechanism.  Does that count?

Naughty
(October 31, 2019 at 7:33 pm)Shell B Wrote: But, do you know why you change your oil? I mean, unless you know everything about every model made by a sub-par auto manufacturer, can you really call yourself a human? How do you live this way?

I'm taking the piss out of you a bit, OLB. I actually admire people that are handy. I am a handy person myself and come from a long line of handy people. I just had to tease you for the blatantly obvious humble brag that is this thread.

Fuck... I don't know. Might as well go kill myself.

LOL.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined myself, but I choose not to do a lot of things. I know how to put a roof on a house as well, but you're not going to see me up on my roof re-shingling or doing a tear off. No thanks.

I don't necessarily admire handy people... but I guess I get it. To some, they'd rather spend the time than the money. I'm the opposite. No biggie.

(October 31, 2019 at 7:39 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:

Refrigerator
Laptop
Stove
Garage door
Television
Clocks
Phone
Shoes
Clothing
Microwave
Coffee maker
Lawn mower

Different strokes.

My current hobby project is to make a functional replica of the Antikythera mechanism.  Does that count?

Naughty

ABSOLUTELY!
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
(October 31, 2019 at 7:28 pm)Jackalope Wrote: Contemplating that further definitely doesn't fit into bucket #1 though

Hilarious

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3731 215505 Yesterday at 5:03 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1133 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Let me know how much I've upset you or you don't want me here. Foxaèr 34 6132 April 28, 2018 at 5:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  I know something you don't know... Jackalope 98 17788 April 22, 2018 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Birthday gift for someone who says they don't want a present. paulpablo 26 4125 April 26, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3989 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  Anyone else start to feel like they're going insane when they get tired? EruptedCarcassBloat 9 1562 October 11, 2016 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Someone told me to kill myself twice today, I don't know why it's been bothering me Phosphorescent Panties 48 6033 April 12, 2016 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Tell me something I don't know Longhorn 123 12335 May 25, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  I don't know Exian 22 2309 April 28, 2015 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen