Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 5:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Morality without God
Morality without God
So I've never been that good at explaining to a theist how I justify my morality without God because I seem to fall into the trap where everything is just subjective and that kind of frustrates me.

Like if I say rape is immoral and a theist will say but that's just my subjective view. It's the law, sure but there is nothing fundamental grounding why it's wrong, it's just society and consensus agreeing that's it immoral. If, for example, society and consensus agreed that slavery was moral then it would be moral, etc.

I'm not well versed in the morality arguments, but I want to learn more so I can actually defend my moral foundation against theists because its something will inevitably come up in a debate. Your input, advice would be appreciated.
RE: Morality without God
What it all boils down to is personally knowing you shouldn't do to someone something that you never want done to you.

Theists need a deity to tell them they shouldn't do something, when for rational individuals it is understood to treat others how one wants to be treated.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Well, I don't know a good defense of the atheist standard of morality but I do know how to shut down religious claims that they have objective morality because of God.

They don't. It's the same subjective standards an atheist would use to come up with the rules society should follow. God says "these are my commandments" as if those are the standards we should follow. But then when he kills people, when he encourages slavery, rape, and lying, it's okay because he says so. When he throws a petty, jealousy fit or shows a toxic version of pride, it's okay because he's God. Christians in particular follow the morality that "might makes right" when they tout their God as being a source of "objective" morality.

According to the bible, gathering firewood on a Sunday should be punishable by death. As a source of morality Christian scripture is fail.
Morality is based on compassion for other people's feelings: you don't want to rape somebody because that person will suffer, or you don't want to torture a cat because you know it will suffer.
And if someone doesn't have compassion that person is a psychopath.

For example, there is an interesting scene in the movie "Borat" where Borat goes to a comedy coach whom he asks if it is ok to laugh at retarded people, and the coach tells him it is not because retarded people have families who suffer.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 30, 2021 at 8:52 am)Five Wrote: Well, I don't know a good defense of the atheist standard of morality but I do know how to shut down religious claims that they have objective morality because of God.

They don't. It's the same subjective standards an atheist would use to come up with the rules society should follow. God says "these are my commandments" as if those are the standards we should follow. But then when he kills people, when he encourages slavery, rape, and lying, it's okay because he says so. When he throws a petty, jealousy fit or shows a toxic version of pride, it's okay because he's God. Christians in particular follow the morality that "might makes right" when they tout their God as being a source of "objective" morality.

So I could say something like "if God commands you to sacrifice your children, would you do it?" and if not, why not? Because God is the source of morality so if he commands it then it is intrinsically good because he commanded it. Right?

Theists will often say "but you can't judge Gods moral character in your atheistic worldview" or ... upon what basis can you judge Gods morality when he is the source of morality itself?

I need to learn how to defend not only my atheistic morality but also how to attach theistic morality, so I've got my work cut out for me. Smile
(March 30, 2021 at 8:44 am)Superjock Wrote: It's the law, sure but there is nothing fundamental grounding why it's wrong, it's just society and consensus agreeing that's it immoral. If, for example, society and consensus agreed that slavery was moral then it would be moral, etc.

That is true, and that is why morality is something that is constantly being worked on, and usually by people who express their disdain about stuff, like working conditions, a living wage, voting rights, animal rights, etc.

While Bible contains some "morality" rules set in stone written thousands of years ago which no one can change.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
The more relevant point is the bible's erroneous claim to monopolizing morality.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
You don’t really have to, though you could if you wanted to. The salient point is that no problem with secular morality is solved by theism.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
“Some have made the love of God the foundation of morality. This too, is but a branch of our moral duties, which are generally divided in duties to God and duties to man. If we are to act merely from the love of God and a belief that is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist?...Diderot, D'Lambert, D'Holbach, Condorcet, are known to have been among the most virtuous of men. Their virtues, then, must have some other foundation than the love of God.” (Thomas Jefferson)  Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 410 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Morality Kingpin 101 5779 May 31, 2023 at 6:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6458 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Morality Agnostico 337 37000 January 30, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Atheists who announce "I'm good without god" Bahana 220 22403 October 8, 2018 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Developing systems of morality, outside of religious influence. Kookaburra 28 4206 March 20, 2018 at 1:27 am
Last Post: haig
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 161105 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished
Video The Married Atheist vid: Morality from science? robvalue 5 2034 March 19, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 45179 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does religion corrupt morality? Whateverist 95 25285 September 7, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd