Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
Do you think this is a good statement to make? It seems to me like they are trying to prove themselves to religious people. Is it a response to religious people who think atheists are less moral? I would rather not dignify that. If you wanna address that argument then bring it to them but to use that as your motivation is low rent.
RE: Atheists who announce "I'm good without god"
(September 28, 2018 at 5:34 pm)Bahana Wrote: Do you think this is a good statement to make? It seems to me like they are trying to prove themselves to religious people. Is it a response to religious people who think atheists are less moral? I would rather not dignify that. If you wanna address that argument then bring it to them but to use that as your motivation is low rent.

"I'm as good as every theist I've met despite not believing in a god or gods."  Too fucking long.
(September 28, 2018 at 5:34 pm)Bahana Wrote: Do you think this is a good statement to make? It seems to me like they are trying to prove themselves to religious people. Is it a response to religious people who think atheists are less moral? I would rather not dignify that. If you wanna address that argument then bring it to them but to use that as your motivation is low rent.

I find the phrase to be a perfectly legitimate shorthand response to a pair of idiotic claims that religionists make about atheists.

The first is that, without God in my life, I am somehow intrinsically unhappy, or even miserable. 'I'm good without God' simply seems to be a way of telling theists, 'I'm quite happy, thank you.  But God didn't do it.  I have work that challenges and fulfills me, a significant other who loves me, a gaggles of dear friends, and enough hobbies to keep me gleefully distracted.  Thank you so much for your interest in my welfare. Now, be a good lad and run along to church, I've got an art exhibit to get to.'

The other sense is that atheists cannot (as you intimated) be 'good' in a moral manner without God. The phrase in this case can be taken to mean, 'I feel that I'm kind, generous, moral, compassionate, and honest in my business dealings.  I try to hurt other people no more than can be helped, and I aid and console my friends who are in distress.  But God didn't make me this way:  I feel that it is an innate sense of all the elements that constitute "goodness" that make me what I am.   But - again - I thank you for your concern.  Please carry on with your petition drive to get these homeless bums off of our fair streets.  I've go to head over to the Oxfam sign-up event.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'm better than good without god.  I'm fucking great without that mythical anchor chain dragging me down.

Fuck all god-buggerers.
It's a bumper-sticker response to the claim that you can't have any morals if you don't believe in a god.  I'm not a big fan of the phrase because of the simplistic nature but on a t-shirt it can be an opening to a longer conversation so it has its place.
(September 28, 2018 at 6:06 pm)unfogged Wrote: It's a bumper-sticker response to the claim that you can't have any morals if you don't believe in a god.  I'm not a big fan of the phrase because of the simplistic nature but on a t-shirt it can be an opening to a longer conversation so it has its place.

My conversations with believers usually span the time it takes to read a bumper sticker. 

My current one says "Danger! I drive like you!"
What god??? Which god??? Who's god???
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

I don't make that statement.  I agree that "I'm good without god" is an outsider's plea for acceptance, and I don't feel the need to be inside the Christian club.  I grew up in that club and didn't like it much.  There were a lot of not-good people there.  

I tell the truth, keep my promises, obey my community's laws, and contribute to my community for pragmatic/social reasons, not in order to be considered good.
The idea that you cant be moral without religion is a bit too silly for me to bother responding to.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(September 28, 2018 at 7:01 pm)julep Wrote:   I agree that "I'm good without god" is an outsider's plea for acceptance, 

That's absurd.

(September 28, 2018 at 7:06 pm)Aegon Wrote: The idea that you cant be moral without religion is a bit too silly for me to bother responding to.

It doesn't hurt to point out that you don't need clergy to know what's not moral. Some theists have never considered it any other way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 404 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Morality without God Superjock 102 8876 June 17, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2198 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How to debunk the first cause argument without trying too hard Dystopia 206 45140 September 21, 2015 at 11:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Good News God is real, woo hoo!!!! Manowar 7 3943 August 13, 2015 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
Video God Just Changed His Mind (from Evil to Good) Mental Outlaw 51 14499 April 16, 2015 at 8:41 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Christians claiming there is no morality without god. because 15 3350 March 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Ultimate purpose without religion... "If I Die on Mars" Mudhammam 0 968 February 12, 2015 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  A world without Christianity Grasshopper 27 8586 January 15, 2015 at 12:14 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Can love exist without hate? tor 72 13282 March 24, 2014 at 3:01 am
Last Post: tor