Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did god create evil?
RE: Why did god create evil?
(October 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: There is a distinction between saving grace and common grace.
Where does it say any of this in the Bible?

Quote:Everyone who gets better than they deserve is a recipient of common grace.
John Bradford would approve of this statement were he alive today and not burned at the stake, I guess.

Goes to show you can dedicate your life to this God monster and the cosmic cunt can't even grant you a quick and painless death.

Quote:This common grace is also responsible for all good deeds that anyone does.
So in your way of thinking god as first-cause is responsible for, everything?

Quote:Left to their own devices, no one would choose to do anything good, we would be completely overpowered by sin.
And how is this a bad thing if you believe god intends to destroy most of humanity in a predeterminated amount of time anyway? Is he like an examiner on a driving test who likes to get his "money's-worth" if the learner made a major fault from the very beginning and tells them they failed half-an-hour later for the entertainment-value?

Quote:This common grace was made possible by Christ’s atonement.
So no one did any good deed before Jebus came?

Statler, are you making stuff up again? Tongue

Quote:However, Christ also purchased saving grace for all those who trusted in his coming before he came and his church after his death.
He should've asked 'daddy' for a refund because he didn't save that many considering the sacrifice. Some all-powerful god you believe in. Big Grin
(October 26, 2011 at 6:30 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: ..and you know this how? By the way, are you from the UK?

No but I am and it grates with me every time I see you americans miss spell words like colour.

I had a canadian girl work for me once, she told me she'd been burglerized, I told her "no she hadnt shed been burgled".

I was a truely understanding employerWink Shades.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 29, 2011 at 7:31 am)Welsh cake Wrote: Where does it say any of this in the Bible?

Saving grace is detailed all throughout scripture, including Ephesians 1 and 2, Romans 5, 8, 9, and 11, John 6, and10 to name a few. Common grace is deduced from verses such as Genesis 6:8, Romans 1 and 3, and Acts 10 just to also name a few.

Quote: John Bradford would approve of this statement were he alive today and not burned at the stake, I guess.

He was reformed, so yes he would have.

Quote: Goes to show you can dedicate your life to this God monster and the cosmic cunt can't even grant you a quick and painless death.

Bradford is reigning with Christ today; I assure you it was all worth it.

Quote: So in your way of thinking god as first-cause is responsible for, everything?

God ordains all that comes to pass, whether it be actively or passively.

Quote:And how is this a bad thing if you believe god intends to destroy most of humanity in a predeterminated amount of time anyway? Is he like an examiner on a driving test who likes to get his "money's-worth" if the learner made a major fault from the very beginning and tells them they failed half-an-hour later for the entertainment-value?

He does not destroy unbelievers, they are given justice. However, God sees it fit to give even the unbeliever better than they deserve because he is a loving God.

Quote: So no one did any good deed before Jebus came?

Christ atoned for people who came before him as well as after him.

Quote: Statler, are you making stuff up again? Tongue

Nope, nor have I ever. Claiming I have is something you cannot even demonstrate so stop bearing false witness and making stuff up.

Quote: He should've asked 'daddy' for a refund because he didn't save that many considering the sacrifice. Some all-powerful god you believe in. Big Grin
This commits the fallacy of believing that God wanted to save everyone and failed. Scripture is quite clear that everyone God wants to be saved has been and will be, and all others were given what they deserved; perfect grace and justice in action.
For those of you 'proficient' in translation, how about a simple American English sentence.

He put his hat on his head.

How many were there and who is wearing the hat?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 1, 2011 at 7:55 pm)IATIA Wrote: For those of you 'proficient' in translation, how about a simple American English sentence.

He put his hat on his head.

How many were there and who is wearing the hat?

Two people were there, one to don the hat and one to describe it, the person wearing the hat was some bloke.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Does "deduced" mean "not actually there but that's the way I was told to interpret it"?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Does "deduced" mean "not actually there but that's the way I was told to interpret it"?

Naw, it means "I made it up and as the quotes make no sense, you can't prove me wrong".
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(November 2, 2011 at 9:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Does "deduced" mean "not actually there but that's the way I was told to interpret it"?

Nope, it's actually the strongest form of logical reasoning, maybe you should try it out sometime.

We could both give it a go, kind of like a date night. You know, get together, bond over an experience neither of us is familiar with. Sounds romantic.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm)Rhythm Wrote: We could both give it a go, kind of like a date night. You know, get together, bond over an experience neither of us is familiar with. Sounds romantic.

Sorry, you're not my type, bimbos have never really been my thing. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2362 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6227 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 875 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 714 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2930 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4056 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 5931 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10280 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1351 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2584 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500