Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did god create evil?
RE: Why did god create evil?
(November 7, 2011 at 11:27 pm)Faith No More Wrote: So you are comparing people born in the Americas and Australia to that of criminals undeserving of your God's love even though they had never heard Jesus?

Native people FNM...*sorry just qualifying the parameters here [slinks off embarrased. Blush ]

Errm *raises hand... what about all the Pacific Islanders and the Amazon Indians et al?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(November 7, 2011 at 11:27 pm)Faith No More Wrote: So you are comparing people born in the Americas and Australia to that of criminals undeserving of your God's love even though they had never heard Jesus?

We are all criminals undeserving of God’s love, why would they magically be any different?

(November 7, 2011 at 11:45 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Native people FNM...*sorry just qualifying the parameters here [slinks off embarrased. Blush ]

Errm *raises hand... what about all the Pacific Islanders and the Amazon Indians et al?

Same applies to all who never hear the gospel, I don't care where they live.

Um, because they were "magically criminals" in the first place? I've long been suspicious that you actually didn't care btw, explains your bigoted and hateful description of god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Um, because they were "magically criminals" in the first place?

Not magically, logically.

Quote: I've long been suspicious that you actually didn't care btw, explains your bigoted and hateful description of god.

You calling anyone a bigot is more than a bit ironic…

Why would not caring where someone lives automatically mean I don’t care about that person? Or were you just attacking a straw man? That makes more sense.

So Stat, god loves you enough to let you hear about Jesus and redeem you, but all of those other people weren't worthy of hearing the good word? If god created someone who was in a position to never be saved, he is damning them from the very beginning of their existence. Why would god punish people for eternity over something he preordained that they themselves have no control over? What made you special enough to be put in a situation to be saved while others have no chance?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 9, 2011 at 12:46 am)Faith No More Wrote: So Stat, god loves you enough to let you hear about Jesus and redeem you,

God does have a special love for His people; we see this in both the Old and New Testament. He does not love them because of what they are though, but rather inspire of what they are. The nation of Israel in the Old Testament made all kinds of mistakes and committed all sorts of sins but they were still His children.

Quote: but all of those other people weren't worthy of hearing the good word?

Nobody is “worthy” of hearing the good word, it’s amazing that God chose to save anyone at all.

Quote: If god created someone who was in a position to never be saved, he is damning them from the very beginning of their existence.

Well they are justly being damned though because salvation is not earned or deserved. It would be like if a criminal was denied the opportunity for a pardon, that would still be completely just because he does not deserve a pardon, it’s a form of grace.

Quote: Why would god punish people for eternity over something he preordained that they themselves have no control over?

If God allows someone to do what they want and sin then they are still responsible for their actions. If I had a pet dog that really wanted to cross an electric fence and I kept pulling it back from doing so, but I finally let it do what it wants and cross the fence and get zapped the dog is still responsible for crossing the fence because it did what it wanted. I just merely allowed it to happen. People still make choices, but they are only allowed to make choices that God passively pre-ordains.

Quote: What made you special enough to be put in a situation to be saved while others have no chance?

Nothing, absolutely nothing in me made me deserve such an opportunity. I used to debate with my students over this matter all the time, because they often would take an unbiblical approach and believe they were just smarter than other people and made the right decision or they did something to earn the grace.
(November 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote: Nobody is “worthy” of hearing the good word, it’s amazing that God chose to save anyone at all.

If no one is worthy, then why save us at all?

Statler Waldorf Wrote:Well they are justly being damned though because salvation is not earned or deserved. It would be like if a criminal was denied the opportunity for a pardon, that would still be completely just because he does not deserve a pardon, it’s a form of grace.

Except in this situation he allows some to earn a pardon while simultaneously denying others any chance at all. When you add to that the they are being denied this chance because of reasons beyond their control that he created(place of birth), God's idea of justice is being randomly applied.

Statler Waldorf Wrote:If God allows someone to do what they want and sin then they are still responsible for their actions. If I had a pet dog that really wanted to cross an electric fence and I kept pulling it back from doing so, but I finally let it do what it wants and cross the fence and get zapped the dog is still responsible for crossing the fence because it did what it wanted. I just merely allowed it to happen. People still make choices, but they are only allowed to make choices that God passively pre-ordains.

Except this does not apply because these people are being punished for something they did not choose(place of birth again).

Statler Waldorf Wrote:Nothing, absolutely nothing in me made me deserve such an opportunity.

Yet you believe god has given you the opportunity but he denies it to others. Something obviously has to set you apart from those who have no chance.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm)Faith No More Wrote: If no one is worthy, then why save us at all?

If God didn’t save anyone then one of this attributes would go unexpressed and thusly un-glorified, He expresses His justice through those that are unsaved and His love and glory through those He saves. We see this in the contrast between Pharaoh and Moses, God builds Pharaoh up just to destroy Him and His kingdom displaying His justice and power. He then gives someone as small as Moses saving grace displaying His love and grace towards His children.

Quote: Except in this situation he allows some to earn a pardon while simultaneously denying others any chance at all. When you add to that the they are being denied this chance because of reasons beyond their control that he created(place of birth), God's idea of justice is being randomly applied.

So you are saying every criminal deserves the chance to be pardoned? I am not so sure I agree that is required in order to preserve justice. Everyone that God wants to give justice to hears the gospel and responds to it positively. So I really don’t see the distinction between someone who hears the gospel but rejects it simply because their heart was never redeemed and someone who never hears the gospel simply because they live in South America. There has never been a person who would have accepted the gospel if they had just had the opportunity to hear it. This does not stop us from doing mission work though because we believe there are sheep in other countries and God has chosen to use us as His means of getting the good news to them.

Quote: Except this does not apply because these people are being punished for something they did not choose(place of birth again).

No, they are punished for their sins, not the fact they were born in a particular place. There is not a single person on earth who does not sin in some fashion; this is what they are punished for.

Quote: Yet you believe god has given you the opportunity but he denies it to others. Something obviously has to set you apart from those who have no chance.
What sets me apart is solely in God, not in me. He chose to save me because it serves His greater purpose not because I did anything to earn it. I think one of Christianity’s greatest strengths is the fact that it is completely unique in its view of man. All other religions seem to glorify man in some way or another which is exactly what I would expect from man-made religions, but why would man create a religion that made him look like a complete wretch utterly incapable of doing anything good on his own? We even see this when Christians introduce doctrines that are not in line with scripture, they always glorify man in some way, or increase his sovereignty in some way.
I don't know how to tell you this, but I'm fairly certain that you aren't "his people" either Stat. Again, claiming that you know that you are one of "the elect" is about as absurd as it can get. Your own dogma states explicitly that no one knows who "the elect" are, or why they were chosen. So, cocktails with me in hell?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm)Rhythm Wrote: but I'm fairly certain that you aren't "his people" either Stat.

I am certain I am, what you think it irrelevant.

Quote: Again, claiming that you know that you are one of "the elect" is about as absurd as it can get.
Why?

Quote: Your own dogma states explicitly that no one knows who "the elect" are, or why they were chosen.

Please point to where in scripture it says that a person cannot know whether they are part of the elect or not? For once, please back up your assertions; try not to be the troll we all think that you are.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2361 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6217 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 874 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 713 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2928 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4041 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 5907 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10278 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1349 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2581 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500