Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did god create evil?
RE: Why did god create evil?
Please show me any point in scripture that backs up any assertion..lol.

If you would like to make your own thread to back up your own claim to being one of the elect, perhaps dealing with the "revealed will of god" and the "secret will of god", be my guest. You made the claim, now back it up. In general I call bullshit on anything that falls out of a liars mouth unless they can show me otherwise.

That being said. In this case, I absolutely do believe that you are certain of this, in the same way that you are certain that there was a flood, etc. Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the day is your own business until you start making claims in public.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 9, 2011 at 9:36 pm)Rhythm Wrote: If you would like to make your own thread to back up your own claim to being one of the elect, perhaps dealing with the "revealed will of god" and the "secret will of god", be my guest. You made the claim, now back it up. In general I call bullshit on anything that falls out of a liars mouth unless they can show me otherwise.

So you can’t back up your assertion that believers are told that they cannot know they are part of the elect? Yeah I knew you were blowing smoke as usual, you are too easy.

Quote: That being said. In this case, I absolutely do believe that you are certain of this, in the same way that you are certain that there was a flood, etc. Whatever you have to tell yourself to get through the day is your own business until you start making claims in public.

Argumentum ad Ignorantiam. I am going to start keeping a score sheet so I can keep track of just how many fallacies you commit, if you believe in yourself I am sure you can break the record sport.
Before we go any further, is this something you subscribe to or are you just "making a point"?

Thusfar your definition of "fallacy" appears to be calling you on your bullshit. So, Stat, how do you know you're saved? Is it your faith? Your virtue? Your merit? Your acts? Explain exactly how the doctrine of unconditional election (which explicitly states that none of these things are relevant to god's supposed grace) allows you to make such a bold claim? I think you're bucking against an unbelievably pessimistic and ridiculous concept of grace, and the thought that you are somehow saved allows you to avoid the uncomfortable business of confronting the implications of your own faith. But hey, opinions and assholes. What's yours?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm)Statler Waldorf Wrote:

Do you really not see how narcissistic your beliefs are?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Before we go any further, is this something you subscribe to or are you just "making a point"?

When I am making a point I am clear that I am just making a point.

Quote: Thusfar your definition of "fallacy" appears to be calling you on your bullshit. So, Stat, how do you know you're saved? Is it your faith? Your virtue? Your merit? Your acts? Explain exactly how the doctrine of unconditional election (which explicitly states that none of these things are relevant to god's supposed grace)

Where does the doctrine of UE say that? Faith is a necessary result of saving grace. You cannot exhibit genuine faith without the grace first being present. All that receive saving grace are saved. I have unshakable faith in Christ therefore I know I am saved. It’s pretty simple really, I can know I am saved but I have no way of knowing whether or not anyone else is for sure, besides the ones scripture tells me were.

(November 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Do you really not see how narcissistic your beliefs are?

How is saying that I was saved despite what I was and what I deserved in anyway narcissistic? If I stood here and told you I was saved because I was somehow better or smarter than you, that would be narcissism.

"Unconditional election": This doctrine asserts that God has chosen from eternity those whom he will bring to himself not based on foreseen virtue, merit, or faith in those people; rather, it is unconditionally grounded in God's mercy alone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvinism

Perhaps you'd like to become a contributing editor? Are you claiming to know the will of god in this matter, specifically with regards to yourself? You'll also need to establish that your interpretation of scripture is accurate (otherwise you have faith in false doctrine, not faith in god, a gift from someone other than god, I believe is the common idiocy asserted in the christian waters), after you've demonstrated the existence of said god, before your claims have any weight whatsoever. So have at it.
For the same reason the neocon 'elite' created 9/11: to profit from its effects. Fuck the collateral damage.
(November 10, 2011 at 6:27 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Perhaps you'd like to become a contributing editor? Are you claiming to know the will of god in this matter, specifically with regards to yourself? You'll also need to establish that your interpretation of scripture is accurate (otherwise you have faith in false doctrine, not faith in god, a gift from someone other than god, I believe is the common idiocy asserted in the christian waters), after you've demonstrated the existence of said god, before your claims have any weight whatsoever. So have at it.

I see you are still incapable of any knowledge outside of Wikipedia. God’s choice is not based upon foreseen knowledge, faith, works or merit. That is absolutely correct. However, faith is a necessary result of God’s election, so if a person possesses genuine faith they can be fully assured that they themselves are part of the elect. I don’t know whether anyone other than myself possesses genuine faith, so that is why I don’t speculate on who is and who is not part of the elect besides those scripture tells me were or were not.

"Accordingly, those whom God has appointed as his sons are said to have been chosen not in themselves but in his Christ [Eph. 1:4]; for unless he could love them in him, he could not honor them with the inheritance of his Kingdom if they had not previously become partakers on him. But if we have been chosen in him, we shall not find assurance of our election in ourselves; and not even in God the Father, if we conceive him as severed from his Son. Christ, then, is the mirror wherein we must, and without self-deception may, contemplate our own election. For since it is into his body the Father has destined those to be engrafted whom he has willed from eternity to be his own, that he may hold as sons all whom he acknowledges to be among his members, we have a sufficiently clear and firm testimony that we have been inscribed in the book of life[cf. Rev. 21:27] if we are in communion with Christ. " - John Calvin

I don't know, maybe you think you know more about Calvinism than John Calvin did, I would not be surprised at all if you thought you did. Smile
Quote:So logical axioms are deemed true or false by what you grant? You crack me up. I like how you changed it from a “correct premise” to an axiom “a premise that is assumed to be true”.

Sorry, asshole. You'll have to demonstrate that fairy tales are true before I grant them "axiomatic" status.

Good luck with that.
(November 14, 2011 at 7:27 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Sorry, asshole. You'll have to demonstrate that fairy tales are true before I grant them "axiomatic" status.

Good luck with that.

Is requiring that axioms be demonstrated to be true an axiom?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2362 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 6228 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 875 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 714 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2930 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 4057 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 5936 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10280 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1352 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2584 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500