Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 5:51 pm

Poll: What is more important to you?
This poll is closed.
Truth
100.00%
14 100.00%
Love
0%
0 0%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most?
RE: Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most?
(July 21, 2015 at 9:41 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(July 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm)Metis Wrote: Thanks Pyrro, what you're saying does make a lot of sense. Perhaps my own example wasn't the best comparison, largely because it is (or rather should be) immediately obvious that isn't true, but it could apply to someone with depression, not being happy with how their face looks or other forms of social awkwardness which might not be easily validated or immediately obvious but just having the idea picked upon can make the problem even worse.

Okay, but often the biggest problem is that people are still believing falsehoods.  If the best thing you can say about someone is that they are pretty, you really would be better off not dating that person.  And the same goes for you; if you are not pretty, that is not the most important thing about a person.  I know, people do discriminate based on looks, but that is because people are stupid and bad.

If my wife were in an accident and she were horribly scarred, I would still love her.  I love her, not what she looks like.  It is her mind that matters most.  And even there, if she were to mentally deteriorate, I would love her for what she was (that is to say, for what she is presently).  But that would be a worse thing, from my perspective, than if she were horribly scarred.

Still, given the bigotry (in this case, sexism) of people generally, I would rather be scarred myself than for my wife to be scarred.  Men can be scarred without it having the same social impact as a woman being scarred.  Think of a pirate with an eye patch, or a scar from a sword wound, and it all has a vaguely romantic and manly quality about it.  But think of it on a woman, and most people seem repulsed.  That is why I would rather be scarred than for my wife to be.  But regardless, I would love her anyway.

(July 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm)Metis Wrote: I'm not as underweight as I was at my worst now which was some time ago, I'm still considered underweight by the BMI chart but I am on the upper side of that category and getting towards the right range. I've had a lot of help getting things together since my worst point and I probably would have gotten it sooner if I hadn't spent half my time trying to cover it up.

Trust me; you will look better in the range than below it.  If you are fanatical about being thin, you can keep to the low end of the range recommended by the AMA, but you really are better looking in the range than below it.

(July 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm)Metis Wrote: I can't really argue with that, I've made the mistake of mixing up love with not being an asshole there. It's absolutely right.

I am sorry; I do not understand that.

Sorry, I meant I agreed with what you said above. You changed my mind on the subject since the main examples I used were with people who had some form of delusion causing them problems being further fulled by falsehoods, not the truth per say which I initially thought.

Your wife is lucky to have someone like you Tongue And I know you're right about the weight range, it is silly because on a sensible level I know it's more important to be healthy on another less enlightened level I still feel envious of individuals who are or who I think are even skinnier than me, even though I know some of them are ill and live on little more than cigarettes and diet Pepsi.

It is weird about the scars, it doesn't make any sense really, a scar is a deformity that should be no less impactful on a man or a woman and yet upon the latter it's far less tolerable. I can only assume it must have something to do with the intense pressure to conform to an ideal of beauty which most men don't seem to feel, and to not be or not able to live up to it suggesting one is damaged. I don't get it either, even though as awful as it is I think it myself; I'd probably not think twice seeing a scar on a mans face but I'd probably look closer at a woman with one and yet it makes no sense why I would. FSM Sad

Messages In This Thread
RE: Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most? - by Metis - July 21, 2015 at 10:04 pm
RE: Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most? - by MTL - July 24, 2015 at 12:46 pm
RE: Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most? - by c172 - August 4, 2015 at 7:04 pm
RE: Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most? - by Athene - August 4, 2015 at 11:29 pm
RE: Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most? - by Pyrrho - August 5, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 4488 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1843 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  What is "My Truth"? brewer 26 1297 December 19, 2021 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Who winds you up the most? Cod 26 1992 October 22, 2018 at 7:44 am
Last Post: brewer
  Most otherwise popular food/snack/dessert/beverage you cannot stand ? vorlon13 65 10722 April 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Truth Edwardo Piet 7 1817 April 3, 2018 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Most Important Post You'll Read Today BrianSoddingBoru4 4 696 March 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What has caused you the most pain? brewer 52 6821 January 2, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  What do you love most, about AF? The Grand Nudger 99 21040 June 4, 2017 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If you have an android phone you should read this. #5 is the most shocking. ErGingerbreadMandude 7 2009 December 18, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude