Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 11:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is "My Truth"?
What is "My Truth"?
I hear some many different people using this claim, most recently a Oprah commercial. Is My Truth actually a valid claim?

What if your/their truth conflicts with mine? Or facts? Or science?

Do people use My Truth to give lend some extra credence to their opinions, beliefs, experiences or views of reality? If they are how does it come close to truth, especially in light of objective vs subjective truth. truth objective.

Maybe My Truth is the other side of the Fake News coin.

(about time I got off my ass and made a thread)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: What is "My Truth"?
My truth, is far more important than your truth.
Deep realisation of some sort. For examle, even if God is Holy, he also is a quantum level asshole.
It likely means:  Something I've chosen to believe which no amount of evidence to the contrary can change.

But I hope it means:  Something I should've figured out long ago that finally hit me and changed my life for the better.  (A legitimate fact that became a turning point)
(December 15, 2021 at 1:21 pm)no one Wrote: My truth, is far more important than your truth.

Panic
I think people have adopted ‘my truth’ because they don’t like hearing

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
People who use 'my truth' tend to mean it in the sense of 'in my experience'.
(December 15, 2021 at 1:56 pm)polymath257 Wrote: People who use 'my truth' tend to mean it in the sense of 'in my experience'.

What does that have to do with truth, other than it happened (or is claimed to have happened)?
(December 15, 2021 at 1:56 pm)polymath257 Wrote: People who use 'my truth' tend to mean it in the sense of 'in my experience'.

Yeah, similar to what you're saying, I kind of just take it to mean something like 'my perspective'... ie your idiosyncratic view, or lens is perhaps a better word, on any given situation.

Another thing I'd say about it is it's a phrase I most associate with what I'd call Mulder-ish sorts of people... ie people with the mindset 'I want to believe [in something... anything]'. I know some people like this who believe in a seeming random selection of superstitions/woo, things like 'the universe will provide' etc, that changes day by day. When I ask 'why should any one of these be believed, let alone all of them?' there is no answer, just that it's basically a private truth. Ie I don't think they're making an objective claim 'this is the truth' just that it's their truth... in the sense of something that resonates with them.
(December 15, 2021 at 2:29 pm)brewer Wrote:

What does that have to do with truth, other than it happened (or is claimed to have happened)?
I mean obviously if it happened to someone, it will shape their world view in some way.
"Imagination, life is your creation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Truth Edwardo Piet 7 1761 April 3, 2018 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Truth or Dare? ErGingerbreadMandude 0 536 June 3, 2016 at 6:50 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  AF Men, This is Your Chance to Tell the Butt Naked Truth Rhondazvous 94 12661 May 26, 2016 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Af women, this is your chance to say the butt naked truth. J a c k 15 2682 May 19, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most? Salacious B. Crumb 51 8701 August 5, 2015 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  I truth you guys Foxaèr 2 805 August 5, 2015 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Rare truth in advertising........ Brian37 3 1214 May 24, 2015 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Truth or dare BrokenQuill92 24 3699 February 18, 2014 at 4:51 am
Last Post: Violet
  This guy is the truth Gooders1002 21 5154 July 29, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  Teletubbies - The Shocking Truth Cyberman 8 5501 February 4, 2013 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Cyberman