Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 5:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Science done away with a need for God?
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God?
(July 27, 2015 at 1:44 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Oh hai Irreducible Complexity, I haven't seen you for a while. Have you gotten past the hurdles of 1) Presenting an example of anything in existence that can be explained ONLY by design and 2) Providing a decent answer to the question "who created the creator, the most complex being of them all?" that doesn't rely on a pathetic cop-out to justify? No?
Fuck off then.

I will answer your questions Iroscato.

First we must define what we mean by "design".  I can accept this definition: purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or material object.

Given this definition I want to ask you a question as well.  If I write a letter to you that states "Iroscato is an intelligent person." Can you explain to me the semiotics of those words purely on the basis of the physics and chemistry of the ink and paper?  When we see word, language the only explanation is top down not bottom up.

As for the second question.  I have also given great thought to this because replacing one mystery with another is not a helpful way forward.  If you ask this question it shows immediately that you categorize God as created.  So you are talking about a created God.  If Richard Dawkins book was entitled, "A Created God's Delusion", I don't think many people would have bought it because I don't need him to tell me that created Gods are a delusion, we usually call them idols.  Your question is not valid because it rules out the explanation that is most likely to be true.  The question does not even apply to the definition of God, that is eternal supreme being, creator of space, time and all things.  The only way you can get anything out of it then in the negative sense is to assume that everything is in the category of being created which leads to positing in infinite series of causes.  

You say that "who created God" is a legitimate question, I don't think it is.  But let's assume that is.  You believe the universe created you, so who created your creator?
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Messages In This Thread
Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 27, 2015 at 11:29 am
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Lek - July 29, 2015 at 12:22 pm
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 27, 2015 at 2:08 pm
Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 31, 2015 at 10:20 pm
Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 31, 2015 at 11:36 pm
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God? - by IATIA - August 1, 2015 at 9:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8777 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3311 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Made a preacherman run away. Gawdzilla Sama 19 3522 December 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37904 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2932 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  this just blew me away loganonekenobi 27 4439 April 2, 2016 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Beatles song hey ya got to hide your love away is very relateable for forever single Rextos 3 1272 March 15, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  What is to be done about religion? Whateverist 55 6784 March 14, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  I'm so done strawberryBacteria 6 1670 January 15, 2016 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: strawberryBacteria
  No need for a god. hilary 9 3108 August 14, 2015 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Longhorn