Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 5:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Science done away with a need for God?
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God?
(July 29, 2015 at 4:54 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote:
(July 29, 2015 at 4:39 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: It is certainly akin to a coding language, that is ciphers and deciphering carrying information and meaning.

http://news.sciencemag.org/math/2012/08/...hard-drive

Sort of. That's more a metaphor we use to understand it.  However think before you say DNA=God because our DNA is so badly coded that if that were the case even Bethesda would fire your gods ass. We have entire sections of DNA that don't do anything at all because they are horridly broken, like the sequence to produce vitamin c in higher apes.

Have you ever seen a poorly written computer program?  If so do you dismiss the person behind it existed?  Just because we right now see sections that do not seem to be used at all, or have no purpose, means nothing.  The Genome was only sequenced 12 years ago.  I can write a function program that can be used in multiple applications that I code, but in it contains other function calls that some applications might not need.  Does that mean I do not exist?

Language or code whether perfect or imperfect (in so far as our current perception of that goes), if it carries meaning, we deduce an intelligence behind it.

(July 29, 2015 at 5:04 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(July 29, 2015 at 3:20 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Are saying that if you see your full name carved clearly on a tree you could logically assume it is by pure natural means?  I've heard the arguments before about seeing a few letters formed out of sticks or in the clouds, what one can perceive to be letters therefore proof that not all language requires a creator.  But I'm talking about a full word written clearly or a sentence, something as simple as "Hello Esquilax" on a rock face.  You can them assume that no one wrote that but it's purely nature and your mind's perception?  

If so, we are at an impasse.  Any time we see language (clear written words that carry meaning) we deduce a mind.

The problem, mainly, is that you're wrong about how we deduce the presence of intelligent agents behind the appearance of language, and you're being overly simplistic in the process. The metric we use is not the binary "complexity/presence of language= design" equation you're using, it is a direct comparison with the natural, something the example you gave perfectly illustrates. We can see individual letters formed out of clouds, or rocks, and be reasonable in not inferring design from that, because we know that these things can occur naturally. If we see a full name written like that, we can reasonably infer design in that not because it's complex, but because the complexity involved is above the threshold of what we know can happen naturally. At a certain point design becomes more feasible because it's more parsimonious than expecting that each individual letter formed on its own, but the reason that is so is because we have evidence of the beings that could write the words themselves.

But you're proposing that a mind created DNA, despite the fact that we have no evidence at all of this occurring, nor a mechanism for how it could occur, or even a reason to think that it could be so, as we know how DNA forms. You keep calling it a code, but the fact is that if it is, it's not a very complex one; it's just four letters, shorthand attached to chemicals, and the way they bond together. That's all it is, really: pairings of chemicals, attributed names after the fact by human beings. We know those chemicals can form naturally, we know they pair up naturally, and we have a readily demonstrable mechanism for how they build up in complexity, all without a creator needed. In this case, we only have evidence of these things forming naturally, and none at all of them needing design, so your comparison to words isn't really apt; what this is more like is you finding a rock and asserting that every time we see rocks, we deduce design.

Also, everything I said about emergent complexity also applies to DNA: early DNA was not as complex as current DNA, and current DNA is complex relative to its makeup, not complex on its own. Like I said, a strand of DNA is just four chemical letters, paired up: in simpler animals the DNA is also simple. The complexity you're seeing is the result of many combinations of that DNA added together, the longer strands that form more complex life, but in that case the complexity is a matter of numbers, not the individual DNA strands: 222 is more complex than 22, but only because I pressed the key one more time. The individual 2s aren't terribly complex, and in the beginning, as with DNA pairing, there weren't that many of them. The complexity you see emerged over a long period of time from interactions between simpler things.

Since I suspect that you're about to reassert that if we see language it means it was designed, let me ask you one final question: say we watch a new planet form in our solar system. We watch it, from every angle and at all times, without ever visiting it ourselves, and we see that no life has ever touched the surface. Nevertheless, when we finally do decide to go up there ourselves, the first living beings to ever set foot on this planet, we see the words "Hello Esquilax" written in the dust there.

Do you deduce design there, even in the face of incontrovertible evidence that no mind has ever been in proximity to the planet?

I would have to assume that a being of intelligence was present and wrote those words.  What would you deduce in that same scenario?
We are not made happy by what we acquire but by what we appreciate.

Messages In This Thread
Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 27, 2015 at 11:29 am
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Lek - July 29, 2015 at 12:22 pm
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 29, 2015 at 5:04 pm
Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 31, 2015 at 10:20 pm
Has Science done away with a need for God? - by Kingpin - July 31, 2015 at 11:36 pm
RE: Has Science done away with a need for God? - by IATIA - August 1, 2015 at 9:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8777 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3311 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Made a preacherman run away. Gawdzilla Sama 19 3522 December 3, 2017 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37904 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2932 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  this just blew me away loganonekenobi 27 4439 April 2, 2016 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Beatles song hey ya got to hide your love away is very relateable for forever single Rextos 3 1272 March 15, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  What is to be done about religion? Whateverist 55 6784 March 14, 2016 at 9:04 am
Last Post: little_monkey
  I'm so done strawberryBacteria 6 1670 January 15, 2016 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: strawberryBacteria
  No need for a god. hilary 9 3108 August 14, 2015 at 3:41 am
Last Post: Longhorn