Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 11:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being?
RE: Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being?
(August 9, 2015 at 2:19 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: You are quite mistaken in claiming that one cannot prove the nonexistence of something.  Anything whose definition is self-contradictory cannot exist.  Thus, there are no invisible pink unicorns, because "pink" and "invisible" contradict each other.  We can also know that things don't exist that do not fit with known facts.  For example, how messed up the world is, is incompatible with a being that is omnipotent, omniscient, and perfectly benevolent, so such a being cannot exist.  We can know that Santa does not exist because people have visited the north pole and his workshop is not there.  That, though, was unnecessary, as we know it is impossible for one man to visit every house on the planet in one night, and it is impossible for a man to fit down every chimney (not to mention the fact that not every house has a chimney).  The idea that one cannot prove that some things do not exist is just false.

Logically - you can't fully prove a negative statement, because one can always find (make up) justifications for why a thing can exists. "Invisible pink unicorns"? That's easy - they're generally invisible, but sometimes they become visible (whatever - they voluntarily drop their "camouflage", or they can be seen through another dimension, they're simply very, very, very small, or some such un-disprovable assertion), and then they are pink. Sure - I can't possibly prove this, but that's beside the point. 
Santa's factory is hidden way bellow the ice. Or - it's not its actual location, as North Pole does not belong in Santa Claus' definition (many cultures have different versions, North Pole is just a modern American version).

Of course - for practical reasons we can and should consider those entities as non-existent, since there is no proof for them and there are much simpler and testable explanations of reality available. But for the purpose of pure logic - we can not prove that there is no Santa, or that I'm not Napoleon Bonaparte. Luckilly - we don't really have to.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Messages In This Thread
RE: Am I still an atheist if I believe in a higher being? - by Homeless Nutter - August 11, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 36561 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1524 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 32700 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 7401 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The myth of atheist core believe. The Lion Roar 102 19002 June 11, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8961 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6825 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5626 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 8204 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7167 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy