Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 3:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposal for the Reformation of the EU Migrant Labour within the United Kingdom
RE: Proposal for the Reformation of the EU Migrant Labour within the United Kingdom
(November 15, 2010 at 10:48 am)Cerrone Wrote:
(November 15, 2010 at 10:29 am)Skipper Wrote: Yea, so long as we are a member of the EU this would be impossible. Not a massive fan of the power of the EU but the free movement and employment rules, whilst not helping me right now getting a full time (non bar work) job here in England are one of it's few good points overall.

But how is the free movement and employment even a vaugely positive attribute? We could still wander around european countries before the legislation existed, afterall.

I suppose people do feel that as long as they've got free movement around the slums of europe that its acceptable to be unable to find work.. yes yes.. very rational..

Well I travelled and worked my way around Europe for months and plan to do it again for even longer and over more of the continent. It was the best experience of my life so far and as a direct result of the EU laws on employment. The benefits of being able to live and see other cultures is amazing, and millions of people have had that benefit.

So free movement, and being able to actually live and work in a variety of different cultures is more than a "vaguely positive attribute". It is life changing. Granted that's of no benefit to people who want to just stay in their own country their whole lives, and it's of no benefit to me right now looking for full time work in my home country, but I value the ease I can go abroad and work and live now and in the future.

Edit: It also helps with people stuck in countries where jobs for their particular skill are sparse. They can go to where they will find employment or be better rewarded for their skills.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proposal for the Reformation of the EU Migrant Labour within the United Kingdom - by Skipper - November 15, 2010 at 11:12 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 4303 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 4021 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3767 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Landslide for Labour! BrianSoddingBoru4 7 384 October 17, 2020 at 9:34 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Impeachment process in the United States Joods 18 3372 October 31, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: henryp
  It is becoming more evidence that America will destroy itself from within NuclearEnergy 42 13067 July 14, 2017 at 1:33 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The tough guy image within the GOP NuclearEnergy 8 2373 June 22, 2017 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Un-united Kingdom is fucked now Edwardo Piet 314 33522 July 4, 2016 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Why doesn't the United States follow it's own rules when it comes to the 1st amendmen GoHalos1993 18 5432 December 31, 2015 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Thoughts on migrant crisis and Islam. paulpablo 21 4698 November 17, 2015 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd