Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 2:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion!
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion!
(September 23, 2015 at 9:59 pm)Aractus Wrote:

I didn't know the standards for an historian to speak, with citations, in an on-stage event. It is something biologists sometimes do as well, but to be honest I never was around any of the ones that did, and we mostly did field work and published reports, so I'm out of my element with analyzing what he should have done. I'll defer to your word on it.

I didn't watch the Carrier video you may be referring to; the ones I watched of him, some time ago, were informal small-group gatherings that did not look like conference speeches, though he did use slides that looked like the ones you're showing me, here. I believe what I believe about Paul for the reason you stated: it strikes me as the sort of thing you do not omit when writing to the early church about your experience, and I'm utterly convinced (particularly by Luke/Acts and then John) that they kept embellishing the stories as time progressed.  I just finished listening to Ehrman's interview on The Humanist Hour,  and I am happy to see he is still correcting himself on the fly. It is one of the reasons I rarely listen to evangelical "scholars", no matter what degree of expertise they express-- it is simply fatal to my willingness to listen to you if you show that you cannot change your mind in the face of better evidence. Then you're no better than a tape recorded message being put onto a new tape.

Finally, I don't think I'd go so far as to classify Carrier as "quackery" even though I disagree with most of his conclusions (in areas I know enough to do so), and reached conclusions surprisingly similar to Ehrman's. Based on what I read about Carrier on Ehrman's blog, he doesn't quite seem to consider him a quack, even though Carrier lampooned him pretty badly, just totally wrong and in need of some humility in carefully examining his position before he boasts about it. This is hardly unique in academia (though more common with department heads, to whom no one will say nay), and it might spark young Richard into refining his ideas. With citations Wink
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion! - by TheRocketSurgeon - September 23, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91003 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  You Can't Disprove a Miracle Rhondazvous 155 17160 March 18, 2016 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7573 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  The dates given by AOS for past events may actually disprove evolution entirely SavedByGraceThruFaith 216 61765 October 14, 2013 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Mutations disprove the theory of upward evolution SavedByGraceThruFaith 512 225931 October 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
Question What one thing would disprove Christianity to you? Tea Earl Grey Hot 294 120390 February 10, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: catfish
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6390 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Atheists: Can you disprove the resurrection or Jesus' existence? nicholas5000 142 49499 December 19, 2011 at 9:30 am
Last Post: ThomM
  Does science prove or disprove the bible Justtristo 8 9432 October 19, 2011 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Outsmarted by a Christian, need help to contradict poc243 43 18495 March 25, 2009 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet