Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does science prove or disprove the bible
Does science prove or disprove the bible
One morning recently I was listening to the local Gospel radio station and the presenter discussed how he believed how science proves the claims made in the bible. The presenter went on quote from a couple of verses of the bible.
Quote:He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
Isaiah 40:22

The presenter used this verse and talked about how the ancient Hebrews hundreds years before Aristotle knew the Earth was a sphere. Then he went further to criticize scientists from being philosophers and theologians.

However I would take the view that literally all branches of science has debunked many claims which are made by the bible about the nature of the universe, history and etc. However I will throw the ball in your court and argue why you think science proves or disproves the bible.
undefined
RE: Does the science proves or disproves the bible
(October 19, 2011 at 2:11 am)Justtristo Wrote: One morning recently I was listening to the local Gospel radio station and the presenter discussed how he believed how science proves the claims made in the bible. The presenter went on quote from a couple of verses of the bible.

The presenter used this verse and talked about how the ancient Hebrews hundreds years before Aristotle knew the Earth was a sphere. Then he went further to criticize scientists from being philosophers and theologians.

However I would take the view that literally all branches of science has debunked many claims which are made by the bible about the nature of the universe, history and etc. However I will throw the ball in your court and argue why you think science proves or disproves the bible.

Even in the days of the ancient Egyptians and early Hebrews, you could sail onto the Mediterranean Sea and notice that in all directions, the horizon inscribed a circle. It was also noted in early Egypt that sailing ships 'disappeared' over the horizon, indicating that the Earth was not flat. But even that doesn't explain the grasshopper motiff (unless they were suggesting that David Carridine was alive 3,000 years ago). Thinking
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
A lie falls out of my lips just as easily as truth, so I'm not sure how shouting "SEE?! THESE PEOPLE NOTICED A ROUND EARTH TOO!!!1!1!" is argument for "the rest must be true too!"

The Earth was round in Harry Potter as well.

Also, I notice certain apologists seem to suffer from the notion that people back then were inherently more stupid or possessing of lesser cognitive abilities than we do.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I don't know about that quote, but I'm sure science has proved the bible wrong on most things.

Geology: age of the planet
Biology: age of our species
Chemistry: we don't have a spirit(chemical reactions in brain etc)
Physics: the stars don't fall out of the sky, and we are not the centre of the universe, the sun does not revolve around us and the planet is not flat. Lastly, we are at the EDGE of a crap solar system.

Not all in bible, but all told by religious tards.
RE: Does science prove or disprove the bible
The bible, like the qu'ran, contained within it some of the best science of the time. Science however changed rapidly from then to now. The bible changed too, but the focus wasn't on the science. No one gave a shit about it. If Christ himself was rumored to have claimed the world to be round it wouldn't be a miracle to me....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eratosthenes

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
'The legend of King Arthur' contains some facts, but the 'story' is just that. 'Moby Dick' contains some facts, but it also is just a story. Any 'facts' that may be proven to be true (accepted, true at the time within the knowledge base) does not validate the stories themselves as true. A collection of facts does not necessarily create or establish a truth. The movie 'Thor' had some facts in it. Does this mean Thor really exists?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Remember, the main part of the bible, the creation story, has been disproved by science. And then most other things, like humans living hundreds of years old...that can't happen. If that is the biggest part of the bible, and it is, then that story is contained within the bible, and they are all one book, attempting to tell the truth. However if that is wrong, then the whole thing has to be wrong, and it shouldn't be taken seriously. It may contain some facts known at the time, but some of the claims, concealed by ignorance, have been revealed as false, by progressive knowledge.
Some say that you shouldn't take the story literally, but then where do you draw a line? Perhaps the whole after life story is just a metaphor? Or Jesus perhaps never existed? Why do these have to be taken literally if such a huge part of the bible - the creation of Adam and Eve - is just a "metaphor."
It's quite a beautiful myth, and it should be appreciated as literature, because it is most obviously false.
(October 19, 2011 at 10:41 am)JollyForr Wrote: And then most other things, like humans living hundreds of years old...that can't happen.

Lunar years.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(October 19, 2011 at 2:11 am)Justtristo Wrote:

If those that want to claim that the Bible is proven by science, they can't just cherry pick from the Bible or science.

Here are the facts about that passage from Isaiah. The Hebrew word that is used to describe the earth in that passage is 'Chuwg'. 'Chuwg' does not mean sphere, it means circle. Circles are 2 dimensional objects. Isaiah 40:22 does not describe a spherical earth, but a flat one.

There was a Hebrew word for ball or sphere, that word was 'Duwr'. It is used elsewhere in the Bible for that purpose.

The Hebrew cosmology closely parallels the Sumero-Babylonian cosmology, with some Egyptian cosmology tossed in. A flat earth.

There are other passages in the Bible that describe the earth as being flat, that the sky is held up on pillars, that the earth is immovable, that when it rains 'God' is opening up windows in heaven, that there is a dome etc.

Funny thing is, if any of those are brought up, the Christian will say, "Oh, those are metaphors".

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1959 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44114 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11728 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Does Bible specifically forbid Anal sex? ErGingerbreadMandude 145 16658 March 23, 2017 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  How does "Science prove that the miracles of the Bible did not happen" ? Emzap 62 11249 November 4, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: dyresand
  You Can't Disprove a Miracle Rhondazvous 155 16334 March 18, 2016 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  What the Bible Does NOT Say About Premarital Sex Rhondazvous 30 6405 January 25, 2016 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Hi, I'm a Christian. Help Me Disprove My Religion! WishfulThinking 265 60359 October 11, 2015 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51179 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Two ways to prove the existence of God. Also, what I'm looking for. IanHulett 9 3609 July 25, 2015 at 6:37 am
Last Post: ignoramus