Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 9:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum theists: when you have a moment, please...
RE: Forum theists: when you have a moment, please...
(October 26, 2015 at 11:14 am)ChadWooters Wrote: In most instances, Jor takes reasonable and nuanced positions. Not in this case. The question at hand is whether some interpretations of the bible are better than others. First, she denies this on the grounds that the bible is a sacred text. She then offers here own interpretations i.e. that it is largely fictitious, contains forgeries, and that the canon was assembled politically. All that may or may not be true. But she cannot escape the fact that by rendering those judgments she has expressed an opinion about how the text should be received. Either some opinions are better than others or not. She’s trying to have it both ways.

No I did not. I pointed out that a realistic interpretation of this particular text is ruled out by reality herself. You want to make your ad hoc attempts to rescue the text from interpretive nihilism somehow priviliged. That's a contradiction with the consequence that the text is not literally true, but is claimed to be in some other sense true. It is your inability to raise this other sense as somehow justified above others that renders your belief in better and worse interpretations of the bible in error. As Nietzsche said, "there are no facts, only interpretations." That the exodus didn't occur, that the flood didn't occur, that there are forgeries in the bible, that the assemblage of the book is thoroughly ad hoc - these are facts. They render a historical interpretation of the text untenable. All you have left are arbitrary interpretations. You must purely arbitrarily choose what to treat as fact and which as metaphor or other. That makes your interpretation no better than any other. As long as you hold that the bible is "true," you've forced yourself down an alley of ad hoc interpretation that is demanded by the mismatch between reality and text.

Is the bible true according to you?
Is the account of the flood true?
What is your answer?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Forum theists: when you have a moment, please... - by Athene - October 20, 2015 at 7:56 pm
RE: Forum theists: when you have a moment, please... - by Angrboda - October 26, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help Denzil99 37 1101 June 11, 2024 at 7:31 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 42838 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 18175 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 15366 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 17407 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 956 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  If there was a 1st moment in time. Mystic 41 5803 May 5, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme. I_am_not_mafia 101 25873 November 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Cod
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7905 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5349 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster