Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 10:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme.
Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme.
I have heard conflicting reports about what it takes to be saved. Muslims just need you to utter a few words to enter into a life changing contract that severely limits what you can do with your life, a bit like saying 'Beatlejuice' three times or 'I do'.

Then there is Pascal's wager where the argument goes that you have nothing to lose by believing in a character called God, who happens to also be a god. A bit like someone being called Human I suppose. If you accept this wager then you will manage to protect yourself from an eternity in Hell. That is, assuming that you pick the right god who happens to be called God.

In my personal experience, most theists that proselytise want you to devote significant time and effort at their church. This is understandable because any half-way decent business will try to lock you into a lifetime of using their product. Therefore they object to their mark saying that they'll leave it for now and rely on a death-bed conversion instead. I've been told that the conversion won't be sincere, but surely if you're about to die and be judged then surely that will be when you are most sincere? How exactly is sincerity judged by gods?

What about the millions who are default christians, muslims, jews, hindus etc because it's the culture they were born into, do not regularly attend religious ceremonies and never give religion any more thought than necessary? Are they going to be damned? Is it acceptable to claim to be one of these? If all that is required is to tick the right box on government forms then it seems an easy way to avoid Hell for example. What is the minimum we can get away with to avoid damnation in your belief system?

Some theists believe that your actions here in the real world determine what kind of rewards you get in the non-real world after you die. Yet they never explain how this works in practice. Do you get issued with a spiritual stamp book upon conversion where your good and bad deeds get marked down? What kind of weighting is applied to good deeds vs bad deeds and how does the balance convert to rewards in the non-life? Does this mean you can jump the queue at the food counter or does it result in a better class of accommodation or more virgins to exploit? If there a virgins, are they selected based on your gender and sexuality and can you specify no geeks? If you are asexual then can you trade them in for another reward, much like marking down vegan on the dinner menu.

If the good and bad deeds are equally weighted then it should be relatively easy to save up a net amount of good deeds. But what if one bad deed wipes out a life time of good deeds if you die before your next confession? And does this mean that if you convert later on in life then you will never manage to accrue as many good deeds as the lucky ones who were born into the same religion and so will always be second class citizens in the after-life? Are good deeds weighted to take into account time left alive? If so what is stopping the system from being exploited by people converting when they realise that they have terminal cancer and give away all their personal belongings? How exactly does personal circumstance weigh the goodness of your deed? Will it be easier to be good if you are rich and can do more with your wealth? What about someone who has led a life where nothing has gone wrong for them and who
isn't trying to survive every day? It's important to know what kind of people we're most likely to spend eternity with.

How exactly do good and bad deeds get recorded? When you sign up, does some omnipresent omniscience holy force start following you around recording your every action? What about privacy concerns? How can we be sure that our actions will be properly judged? What kind of character witnesses does your god have? Is there an appeal court for decisions that we do not agree with? Or is it judged by what's in your heart? In which case those with huge egos or who suffer from the Dunning Kruger effect will automatically get the most rewards because they sincerely believe that they are the best at everything. And if your every action does not get recorded but your memory gets read instead, then is there a risk that a lifetime of good deeds will get wiped out because of senility, neuro-degenerative disease or death by head injury? Are there off-site backups in place?

As you can see this opens up a lot of questions and I would like theists to explain how their god's loyalty reward scheme works in practice. I think this will be useful because most atheists are agnostic and do not have a belief that there is no god, rather they just lack a belief that there is one. This will be an opportunity for theists to advertise their particular god so potential converts can choose the personal salvation plan that is most suitable for them.

Please describe what exactly the paradise being offered is like, the minimum required to avoid Hell, whether your loyalty reward scheme is incomptiable with other reward schemes on offer and what exactly is required for it to apply. After all, we're all used to insurance companies using some excuse not to pay out and we wouldn't want to judged as being the wrong type of christian for example.
RE: Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme.
The dogs I worship just get me a fruit basket once in a while. Wonder if I could do better?
I'll let Huggy and Lil Rik handle this one.
(November 17, 2017 at 11:56 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I'll let Huggy and Lil Rik handle this one.

Sadist!  Angry
I'm wondering if all these details used to be in the bible but were discarded during the First Council of Nicaea because no one ever reads the small print.
In Catholicism we don't have anything about a loyalty/reward scheme.

With that being said, some protestant denominations believe that all you need to do to "go to Heaven" is to believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and if you are not a Christian you go to Hell. They believe faith alone will get them to Heaven.

We believe it is much more involved/less simplistic than that, and we do acknowledge that a person who is Christian *may* go to Hell, and one who isn't *may not*.

Basically, it depends entirely on the state of your soul. If you are in a state of mortal sin, you go to Hell. That sounds simple enough, but the tricky part is that we have no way of knowing whether or not a person's soul is in a state of mortal sin. We can't even officially say that about Hitler, Stallin, or Mao, for example. Because in determining the state of someone's soul, every single thing about that person is taken into account. And since we can't read minds and see a person's entire life experiences, we can't make any judgements on their soul.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Almost Egyptian, isn't it?

http://carlos.emory.edu/RAMESSES/3_weighheart.html

Quote:The Egyptians viewed the heart as the seat of intellect and emotion; as such, it played a central role in the rebirth of an individual in the afterlife. The heart of the individual was weighed against the feather representing the goddess of truth, Ma’at, in a judgment process overseen by Osiris, the lord of the underworld. The judgment was a frequent subject for funerary art, especially on papyri and coffins. Central to the scene was a large balance, with the heart in one pan and either a feather or a tiny figure of Ma'at, in the other pan. In most scenes, a demon called Ammit, "the Devourer," crouches below the balance, anxiously awaiting the outcome. Should the heart of the deceased prove to be heavy with wrongdoing, it would be eaten by the demon, and the hope of an afterlife vanished.
(November 17, 2017 at 12:34 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: In Catholicism we don't have anything about a loyalty/reward scheme.

With that being said, some protestant denominations believe that all you need to do to "go to Heaven" is to believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior, and if you are not a Christian you go to Hell. They believe faith alone will get them to Heaven.

We believe it is much more involved/less simplistic than that, and we do acknowledge that a person who is Christian *may* go to Hell, and one who isn't *may not*.

Basically, it depends entirely on the state of your soul. If you are in a state of mortal sin, you go to Hell. That sounds simple enough, but the tricky part is that we have no way of knowing whether or not a person's soul is in a state of mortal sin. We can't even officially say that about Hitler, Stallin, or Mao, for example. Because in determining the state of someone's soul, every single thing about that person is taken into account. And since we can't read minds and see a person's entire life experiences, we can't make any judgements on their soul.

OK this is great news! It means that that we can pick another religion and in doing so can still avoid Hell and go to Heaven if the Catholics are correct. It also means that the whole confession thing starts to make sense. I assumed that if you confessed, then performed a mortal sin and died before your next confession then you were going to Hell. But from what you say it's like a regular cleaning service provided by the Catholic church, much like doing a detox course at a health farm, or getting my armpits waxed on a regular basis when they get too fuzzy. The difference being I suppose that unless I expose myself to a radiation source my life choices won't give me hairier pits.
Ok. I don't think I'm going to take time to answer your questions and share my views if you're going to be so condescending. Obviously youre not actually genuinely interestes in knowing our views, only in mocking and being sarcastic. I should have known, considering your last thread, though I figured I'd give you a chance and answer you anyway. My mistake. Good bye.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
Well I admit to a certain flippancy ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 14638 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 15969 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 901 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12028 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6015 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 21378 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Spread This And Please Expose These Televanglists! MW85 29 4756 December 24, 2015 at 8:00 am
Last Post: MW85
  Forum theists: when you have a moment, please... Athene 125 26535 October 27, 2015 at 11:09 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Tribal loyalty towards your former religion Aaran 27 6153 July 13, 2015 at 6:20 am
Last Post: Metis
  Does your God Only Live in your Mind? Salacious B. Crumb 2 1624 May 2, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Salacious B. Crumb