Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 7:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Assumptions, and why you should stop asserting them!
RE: Assumptions, and why you should stop asserting them!
(August 25, 2009 at 4:50 am)theVOID Wrote: Has anyone here ever seen an argument for God that did not rely on assumptions asserted as fact?

I have honestly never seen a single statement asserted as fact that was not an assumption. Sleepy

Quote:Most of the time i read an argument for god i have to say 'hold up one fucking second and prove that assertion!'

More likely, you are saying 'hold up one fucking second and prove that assertion to me'? They have already proven it to themself (unless they were being disingenuous about it being a fact to them or it was a mistake in what they said (or the like)).

Quote:For example:

Objective Morals:
This one is the dumbest fucking things they can bring up, it's a complete and utter assumption always asserted as fact, and it pisses me off. You have no damn proof that morals are objective douchebags, and every single thing we know about morals shows that they are subjective, you can see that just by looking at any two states, countries, continents or just compare two periods of time, look back at all the sick as fuck shit condoned in your bibles; slavery, rape, incest, infanticide, genocide.... It's damn obvious that morals are not objective so stop fucking asserting it!

Close your eyes in a crowded room, and you can't see anyone in the room. Unless the other people in the room are also closing their eyes, or blind, or have their vision of you otherwise obstructed: they can still see you. That is subjectivity ^_^

Although i agree with you that morals are not objective, the possibility exists that you and i are amoral, and an existent 'objective morality' does infact included the condonation of slavery (i would note that many people condone this in a number of forms), rape, incest (I don't see something deeply wrong with it), genocide (a valid answer that can forever solve a problem people or species). I hold faith against there being an objective morality, and believe that I'm a kind and jovial person, whether that be moral or not. ^_^

Quote:What are other stupid-as-fuck religious assumptions turned assertions that piss you guys off?

"Gays are going to hell"... pisses me off.
"The hurricane (Katrina) at new orleans was caused by debauchery"... pisses me off.
"Abortion is murder"... pisses me off.
theVOID Wrote:This thread is over a year old dude, if you want to talk about it start a new thread.

Oops ^_^

Serves me right for not looking at the date Tiger
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
RE: Assumptions, and why you should stop asserting them! - by Violet - December 14, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 6083 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1692 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 12374 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 8487 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5590 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Why do some religious people think the world revolves around them? Cecelia 28 10223 June 3, 2017 at 11:57 am
Last Post: J a c k
  Why did we stop inventing gods? Greatest I am 58 7149 August 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 23676 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Believe in hell? well you might want to stop dyresand 6 3223 January 14, 2015 at 3:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 16786 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope