Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 28, 2024, 5:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion?
(October 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:

Just to note, your reply here, doesn't really have to do with mine that was cited, as they are different topics.  My comment was on the question of if knowledge precludes free will.  I do not believe that it does.  I normally resist a change in topic, until one issue has been discussed, but this is at least the second time with me, that you have diverted to this topic, so I would like to address it. 

One thing, that I think is often overlooked when making such comparisons, is position.  This is not meant to be a free pass, but only to point out, that when making comparisons, that if any person did this, it would be wrong, are some what inaccurate.  For instance, I am not free to detain someone in the same way that a judge or an officer of the law are able.  Similarly a government can decide that any suffering incurred in war is for the greater good, however similar circumstances for an individual claiming the greater good as reason are not acceptable. 

This article http://www.str.org/articles/augustine-on...jZv9zZdESk describes a number of objections, to the question if a good all knowing God, could allow evil.  It discusses that evil is not a thing, but a lack of good.  Similar to darkness being a lack of light.  It also discusses a number of virtues, which would not be present, if evil was not possible.  Similarly it encompasses a larger view of the overall picture where allowing evil or suffering may be a greater good, even if in the specific we cannot see it or understand it.  That the struggle produces a character which cannot be achieved if there was no choice or free will.  That temporary suffering is allowed in regards to a greater eternal good.

As said before, this is a difficult subject, especially if we or a loved one is suffering at the moment.  Understanding is not going to help at this time, and I think that scripture teaches us that this is not a time to provide reason, but for compassion, and to grieve with the person.  I think that there are a few issues with your robot analogy.  One robots do not have free will, and it is unclear whether humans could even create a morally responsible robot.  Second is position and knowledge.  We do not have the authority or the knowledge to make such a call;  even if it is believed, that a greater good could come from it overall. 

It is not an easy topic, and I don't expect those who do not know God, or are seeking opportunity to present a negative view of God to be convinced.    That is to say, that the result of this philosophy is going to be largely dependent on your previous view of God.  I do think that it however shows that a reasonable defense can be made in regards to the problem of evil, and the presence of suffering does not necessarily negate God's omnipotence, omniscience, or his benevolence.  From the article "God made a world in which true moral decision-making and development of virtues is possible in humans, manifest by persons whose character is formed through growth and struggle."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion? - by RoadRunner79 - November 1, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 9565 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 23629 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 14774 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5271 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 120372 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20890 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 16711 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 56396 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11641 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar