Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
How atheists can enjoy religion
How atheists can enjoy religion
I figured out a way atheists can enjoy religion.......anime. There are several anime shows with religious themes, such as Death Note (highlights the struggle between God and Lucifer, in a symbolic way), Neon Genesis Evangelion (this one has a serious tone, lots of Christian symbolism), and The Devil Is A Part Timer (cutesy stuff). If you haven't watched any of these shows, I would start with Death Note, it's a suspenseful psychological thriller with plenty of twists and turns. Plus, it has a cute blond girl character, who is my favorite character on the show. I will leave you with this picture, of Jesus Christ, for your consideration.

Moderator Notice
Image removed per 30/30 rule. There's no reason to think this will lead to a fruitful discussion as per the exception. Read the rules.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: How atheists can enjoy religion
No thanks.

Making religion cutesy isn't going to help.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

ooops duplicate

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I have no problem with shows using god/devil as symbolism. If it is fantasy, that is fine. It's the claim of reality that bothers me.

I greatly enjoyed Good Omens.
(August 24, 2021 at 11:19 am)HappySkeptic Wrote: I have no problem with shows using god/devil as symbolism. If it is fantasy, that is fine. It's the claim of reality that bothers me.

Good Omens was awesome! Loved it. Then again, David Tenant is charisma on a plate.

As per the topic, so, you're saying, the way that atheists can enjoy and engage with religion is as a fantasy with interesting story elements? Don't we already engage with it that way?

I can enjoy make believe as much as the next asshole.
I can watch a movie about demons, enjoy the flick, and never really give religion a thought, outside of the movie.

Supernatural, good show.
All of it, make believe.

The Conjuring, enjoyable movie.
All of it, make believe.

This may come as a surprise to you but, I can watch Superman, and not question if I can fly, because...... SPOILER!....I can't.
We also enjoy comic books......

But we also don' t think Batman and The Penguin are real people.
(August 24, 2021 at 11:29 am)Ten Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 11:19 am)HappySkeptic Wrote: I have no problem with shows using god/devil as symbolism.  If it is fantasy, that is fine.  It's the claim of reality that bothers me.

Good Omens was awesome! Loved it. Then again, David Tenant is charisma on a plate.

As per the topic, so, you're saying, the way that atheists can enjoy and engage with religion is as a fantasy with interesting story elements? Don't we already engage with it that way?
You make a good point.
(August 24, 2021 at 11:36 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 11:29 am)Ten Wrote: Good Omens was awesome! Loved it. Then again, David Tenant is charisma on a plate.

You make a good point.

Why are you here? Just out of curiosity.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(August 24, 2021 at 11:38 am)LadyForCamus Wrote:
(August 24, 2021 at 11:36 am)Ahriman Wrote: You make a good point.

Why are you here? Just out of curiosity.
To engage in conversation with people, learn new stuff, make my viewpoints known, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 10610 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How the religious can enjoy Atheism. onlinebiker 10 820 August 30, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: brewer
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1813 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Can religion be a type of Stockholm syndrome? ignoramus 5 2728 June 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Lightbulb The 9 Catharses,questions that can destroy religion Anonymousq 15 3884 October 8, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all atheists this ill-informed about religion? Delicate 860 132815 January 19, 2016 at 12:03 am
Last Post: IATIA
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4868 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Exposing the Intellectual Bankruptcy of Atheists Criticizing Religion Delicate 500 107827 January 5, 2016 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Can Atheists Do for This Child? Rhondazvous 2 1388 November 12, 2015 at 3:35 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd