Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 30, 2024, 8:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)
RE: Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)
(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: Oh come on that sounds like a complete cop out Tongue.

If you say so.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: Either the premises are sound and valid or they are not...

Well I agree with you there. But maybe I don't have enough information to be able to tell which it is.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: Can you name a single methodology that has gathered more results?

I don't know. We haven't discussed how you are counting results, how you are evaluating the truthfulness of premise 2, etc. So I really don't know if I could do this or not. And I really don't think it necessary to get into all of that.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: If not then you are epistemically unjustified in accepting any other methodology as the most effective.

Maybe. But who said I did accept any other methodology as the most effective?

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: A waste of time?

Yes. A waste of time.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: No more so than any other recreational activity and far less so than a great many as I can actually be productive while stoned.

If you say so.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: That's like saying "I'm going to investigate x and only look for information of x from a tiny portion (natural) of all the logically possible answers (supernaturalism+naturalism)"

That is exactly correct. And what is the problem with that? Are you suggesting that the supernatural is not a logically possible answer? If so, why? Certainly methodological naturalism cannot help you determine whether or not the supernatural is a logically possible answer. Its basic assumption, according to you, is metaphysical naturalism which necessarily excludes supernature and, therefore, there is no possiblity of it (methodological naturalism) concluding the supernatural is a logically possible answer.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: If you have no way of measuring the non-natural or any way of determining the start of a causal chain was non-natural then you might as well be assuming that there is only nature.

(December 17, 2010 at 10:59 pm)theVOID Wrote: The scientist might not make the assumption of metaphysical naturalism, but the methodology is grounded in it. Unless you know of a way of measuring non-natural things with all the rigours of science then again, you might as well accept that the method makes that assumption.

That is why I said: "I'm not sure how one would distinguish my position from yours, except possibly in the mindset of the scientist doing the work."

(December 18, 2010 at 5:03 am)ziggystardust Wrote: Generally big shot scientists in other fields don't bother to say they are Dr such and such or Professor so and so.

That is certainly not my experience. I have been around plenty of PhDs in my work (all of whom would consider it an insult to be called a creationist). I have even supervised plenty of them. The vast majority use the title regularly and introduce themselves that way, etc.
(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Milesian school of the Ionian Pre-Socratic philosophy

I really was hoping for more of an explanation and citation of where I could look. Can you help me out a bit more?

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: The point is the role religion may or may not have played in development the scientific method does not bear on the validity of the tenants of the religion...

I think I already agreed with you on that.

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Methodological naturalism does not follow uniquely from Bacon's theory of god. Nor does christianity show any signs of converging upon the form that would produce Bacon's theory of god. Indeed the most aggressive strains of christianity shows quite the sign of the reverse. So to credit god or his religion with the result of one man's imagination is little short of rediculous.

I guess I see your point.

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: If the concept that a quality of a man's work does not in itself validate the cause that prompted him to perform the work, and his work could in fact prove the invalidity of the cause, is still too abstract, you might related to another example: Do you suppose the fact that Maya cosmology led directly to Mayan development of sophisticated algebra means Maya cosmology is therefore better than algebra?

Maybe. It probably depends on how one would define and evaluate "better", i.e., from what perspective.

(December 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm)Chuck Wrote: Do you see any obstacle in the algebra developed for the service of Mayan cosmology being incorporated into a system that can then be used to discredit Maya cosmology?

No.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd) - by rjh4 - December 18, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1636 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Creationism Foxaèr 203 12329 August 23, 2020 at 2:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  A theory about Creationism leaders Lucanus 24 7299 October 17, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Prediction of an Alien Invasion of Earth hopey 21 4919 July 1, 2017 at 3:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Science Vs. The Forces of Creationism ScienceAf 15 3037 August 30, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Debunking the Flat Earth Society. bussta33 24 5284 February 9, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Earth Glare_ 174 22010 March 25, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10855 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  creationism belief makes you a sicko.. profanity alert for you sensitive girly men heathendegenerate 4 2062 May 7, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  Religion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good' More Young People Believe downbeatplumb 3 2405 June 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37