Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 1:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NC Church Caught Practicing Christianity - Neighbors Complain
RE: NC Church Caught Practicing Christianity - Neighbors Complain
What this really boils down to has more to do with socio-economic prejudices that the religious don't realize actually matter more to them than their own religion.

People of lower socio economic status - read: middle-middle class and below - who identify as conservative/republican in this country are often incredibly prejudiced towards anyone who they feel are cheating them out of their jobs/money/services. The problem is, they admire the wealthy, so they direct their ire at other poor people and assume they are using up the resources. It's easier to pick on people who have a shittier life than you, instead of on the people who have the things you also want.

North Carolina has been cutting services and funneling taxes and other funding into corrupt politicians for a while now. Charlotte in particular is finally seeing some traffic solutions being finished/worked on - the completion of the 485 corridor, the building of a light-rail extension, etc - but many of us have little to no goddamn grasp of where our taxes are being sent to. We're going to be organizing a voter registration party for February to get more of our atheist group out and voting, but I'd also love to start looking into things to see if we can determine how and where the money is being spent. I bet if you looked into this for Concord, you'd see similar problems.

When I lived in the city - and I lived less than a mile from the courthouse, police station, and major historical thoroughfare - the power was constantly going out all over. Street lights would go down. Roads were shitty. They weren't investing in their infrastructure, or many city programs. They now have a wonderful library director who impresses me so much with all of her efforts to get people encouraged in reading and education - and she's a wonderful friend and lady besides - but she and another mutual friend of mine who was a teacher for several years in Charlotte's schools say they have to deal with racist coworkers all the time. Literally, they are working in a building which has the most ridiculous mural in its auditorium portraying all kinds of dubiously racist crap detailing the "history" of Concord involving the native americans and blacks. And Jesus, of course, is painted into it. We pulled the screens down for the event, but we hosted Seth Andrews, the Thinking Atheist, in that room. Holy fuck that was hilarious.

But that's what you're dealing with in Concord - a very backwards, racist, insular people. They could be Muslim, it wouldn't matter. They just don't realize that they're frightened of being like those homeless people more than they're frightened of what God would say for them not being generous, because they've been sold a bill of goods that says this life is zero sum and there isn't enough to go around. That's what happens when you let psychopathic capitalists hold the reins of power. There's plenty of resources to go around in this state - it's just that several of the people in power gives absolutely no fucks about managing it properly.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: NC Church Caught Practicing Christianity - Neighbors Complain - by thesummerqueen - November 6, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1295 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England vs Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints vorlon13 13 4199 April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  William Craig caught in a lie. Jehanne 23 5022 January 7, 2017 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7074 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Fucking Catholics Caught Again.... Minimalist 33 6054 November 27, 2015 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8573 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18508 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Priest Caught in The Act!!! Rahul 12 3866 September 21, 2013 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Ubuntu - I am happy because my neighbors are happy. Brakeman 2 1442 September 3, 2013 at 8:36 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Church update:children's church k2490 15 10654 June 26, 2013 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Rahul