Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 6:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community?
Quote:TheRocketSurgeonHoly crap, what did I miss?

Quote:I'm a "man-hating feminist", I suppose, by your definitions. I recognize the immeasurable privileges I hold in this society by being a white male. I recognize the Patriarchy that has made our culture the way it is. Patriarchal values have destroyed countless lives and continue to do so, and they affect us in subtle ways in almost every exchange we have in this society.

Yes, men have to deal with some things that are difficult, even the occasional double standards, but the worst we will ever go through pales in comparison to every day of the life of women in our supposedly-enlightened society.
Alright. You're setting us up to lay out the argument. No points made yet, but I'm holding out.

Quote:While nobody questions that there are feminist extremists who take the concept too far, it's insane to try to equate the far fringe with the common views of the overall movement. It's why I am a male and am proud to call myself a feminist. The idea that trying to root out wrongs that have been perpetrated against women for so long that most men never even notice it's happening or think there's anything wrong with how we are socialized to treat women, for trying to ensure that the business world does not discriminate against women just because it has been a "boys club" for centuries, for trying to attack our "rape culture" in which men feel entitled to the bodies of women they like, and for trying to stem the overwhelming tide of domestic abuse and intimidation that marks the lives of women everywhere, equals "oppression" or hatred of men is beyond ludicrous.`
. Okay, now we're getting into a bunch of meaningless buzz words. "rape culture". "Patriarchy". Yes, domestic abuse and rape is wrong, but the people doing it know it's wrong. They just choose to partake in rape anyways, because it's probably fun to them or something. There's not really anything you can do to change that, in my opinion. Evidently this is somehow ingrained in our society. Show me the facts of how rape has become a part of our culture. I don't buy the premise of the argument, but let's see what you have to say next.

Quote:The data are clear: if the nation does not take legal action to protect women from discrimination, they will be routinely discriminated against, based on a long social tradition that has oppressed and used them throughout most of our culture's history.

Being skeptics, we are free to question any or all aspects of feminism... but when you start whining about oh poor men we're so oppressed, you lose me. It simply is not borne out by any significant studies of the subject, and a few anecdotes here and there do not change the overwhelmingly one-sided data that shows we have a long way to go before we have a society in which I would feel proud to tell my daughter (I don't know yet, but have hope my baby due in late January is female) she will be growing up. Until then I fight to fix it. And I tell guys who want to whine about feminism and speak about egalitarianism that feminism is egalitarianism. There's no difference, except in the minds of a few radical proponents of matriarchy (something I doubt strongly would be any better than what it purports to replace), between feminism and egalitarianism... but the fact that you think there is only shows that the feminists' fight is not even close to being completed.
I'm not saying men are oppressed. I'm saying it's ridiculous to look at this as a women's issue. It's not. Women actually have it better in america than men do. I have heard facts about the issue that contradict what you're saying. Everything you're saying has seemed like nothing but propaganda to me.

Feminism is not egalitarianism. That is categorically false. Egalitarianism is egalitarianism. Feminism is women's rights, which is now wrongfully biased towards men. This isn't the same as black lives matter, you can't equate something like all lives matter to egalitarianism, which I know is parallel to how you see egalitarianism. 

There's a lot of problems in the world, but from what I've seen, you have a skewed perspective of things. You say that there's a rape culture, there's a patriarchy which is just oppressing women, because of centuries traditions. That's probably true in some other country, I dunno where you live, but I have seen no evidence that proves that's what it's like in America.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? - by DespondentFishdeathMasochismo - November 15, 2015 at 3:51 pm
SPEEDBUMP - by Fidel_Castronaut - December 4, 2015 at 9:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 6138 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2342 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2112 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How many of you know that there is atheism in Sanatana Dharma ? hindu 19 2360 June 7, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Paleophyte
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7562 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4807 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 19403 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3574 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6390 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1139 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89