Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 26, 2024, 3:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion?
RE: Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion?
(November 25, 2015 at 12:07 pm)Kingpin Wrote:
(November 25, 2015 at 12:00 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Who said anything about "impossible"? There's a world of difference between accepting or not accepting a mundane claim such as "Kingpin's wife loves him" on the one hand and an extraordinary claim such as "the creator of the universe, who exists somehow beyond time/space, communicated with me after breakfast" on the other.

You know that perfectly well.

Ah but what is mundane to you, may be of profound importance to someone else.  For example, if you don't care God or no God, then you are less likely to critically examine any evidence.  If it has importance to you, you are more likely to examine it objectively.  There are thousands upon thousands of first hand accounts of encounters with God/Jesus.  There are also thousands of first hand encounters with aliens.  But it seems some are willing to accept the idea of aliens more than God, even though there is no definitive proof for either besides testimony and stories.  Why do you suppose that is?

Thousands upon thousands of people who claim to have had first hand encounters with God/Jesus (or Shiva or Allah or Apollo or . . . whatever), not to mention the thousands who claim to have encountered aliens, are more likely to examine their claims objectively?!? Tell me you're joking. If not, what is your evidence for this claim? Because my experience of people is that the more profoundly significant the experience, the more likely the person in question will get defensive when the experience is examined objectively.

And I'm not sure where you get the notion that I "accept the idea of aliens more than God" (I assume we're still talking about aliens visiting Earth) since I don't recall ever speaking to that point on these forums. I find the idea of intergalactic travelers of such technical sophistication that they can cross unimaginable oceans of space just to come to Earth to visit -- and in some cases anally probe -- a variety of hicks from the backwaters ludicrous in the extreme -- certainly the type of extraordinary claim that requires more than personal testimony before I'll buy into it.

Just like god claims.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? - by Crossless1 - November 25, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1197 90414 Yesterday at 2:05 pm
Last Post: no one
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 15077 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Did Jesus want to create a poli-theism religion? Eclectic 83 7113 December 18, 2022 at 7:54 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 698 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How the religious can enjoy Atheism. onlinebiker 10 976 August 30, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: brewer
  Health class christian teacher..... brewer 7 820 March 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: no one
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5478 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Enough of this crap, I want to hear directly from god Foxaèr 82 6353 December 22, 2020 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Prycejosh1987
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 2015 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5931 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye