Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or
Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or
degenerate

Basically. What has made western world progress is protestant christianity

Much of science was supressed due to religious devotion cultures.

Mainly speaking of Catholics or Sunni Muslims

No idea about Shiites. But Nasir Gebelli is an Iranian American who programmed Final Fantasy 1-3 and Secret of Mana, i will say he is pretty smart. And he also inspired Romero who made Doom on PC.

Basically if you have a religious culture that lays restrictions, you are screwed. Catholics did it, so nothing mattered than worshipping, devotion. They didnt allow you to breath much. Same with Sunnis, in the beginning they were tolerant of scientists til later when fundamentalism kicked in around 1100 or 1200 or something "Science will make people go away from God"

Also JonTron i am not sure counts, since i consider him American. Though i like the guy.

But basically culture affects people.

What makes protestant culture different is this. "Jesus loves you" Ok, get to work
No massive devotion culture. Its just, whatever. Work, work.
RE: Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or
....what?
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

RE: Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or
(July 9, 2020 at 3:01 pm)Snideon Wrote: degenerate

What makes protestant culture different is this. "Jesus loves you" Ok, get to work

And yet they don't allow stem cells research, how do you explain that if they are so pro-progress?
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(July 9, 2020 at 3:14 pm)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(July 9, 2020 at 3:01 pm)Snideon Wrote: degenerate

And yet they don't allow stem cells research, how do you explain that if they are so pro-progress?

To be fair. Reagen the catholic. Brought religion into politics. Even Barry Goldwater thought this would make conservatives look like jokes. Since it wouldnt be focus on policies but on that stuff.
If you dont know. Goldwater is sorta the father of modern conservativsm in America. From what i know, he opposed making abortion a political issue, and was more a personal matter.

Although in modern times. Liberal culture in USA is fighting for clown awards with Social Justice Warriors running around
If you think Reagan was the first US president to bring religion into US politics... that's incredibly narrow minded. I'm still waiting for the other shoe
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I agree that Reagan embracing Falwell and the evangelicals highly changed the Republican Party.  Just look at the picture of Trump holding the Bible.  A lying whoremonger leads Christian politics.  Wouldn't happen to John Anderson's party.  

Everything else the OP says is blathering.
(July 9, 2020 at 3:53 pm)tackattack Wrote: If you think Reagan was the first US president to bring religion into US politics... that's incredibly narrow minded.  I'm still waiting for the other shoe

Sure, but the ban hammer dropped first, go figure.

I may not agree with you on much, but you nailed this one.
I disagree because I think that 99% of religions are necessarily harmful but cultures can be either good or bad.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts
At work.

Just a word Modus?

If the name is crossed out? They be banned and not able to post or reply etc.

If a thread title created and its ideas from the dim past catch your eye?

Start a new thread and make the topic your own.

Cheers.
(July 16, 2020 at 7:16 am)Peebo-Thuhlu Wrote: Just a word Modus?

If the name is crossed out? They be banned and not able to post or reply etc.

If a thread title created and its ideas from the dim past catch your eye?

Start a new thread and make the topic your own.

I've already started a few of my own threads. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong by responding to this thread. I didn't necropost and the thread isn't locked.
"Zen … does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes." - Alan Watts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1771 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 6697 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11108 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7532 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  How the religious can enjoy Atheism. onlinebiker 10 845 August 30, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: brewer
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1557 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 7001 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Religion and health - not exactly what we've been told.... Angrboda 4 733 July 22, 2018 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 803 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What religion and religious leaders did to us..... Mystic 5 1168 November 20, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger