Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How the religious can enjoy Atheism.
How the religious can enjoy Atheism.
It's pretty easy.

Just get out of bed. Think for yourself.

Except Sundays.

Then you can sleep in till noon if you like.

Enjoy.
RE: How the religious can enjoy Atheism.
(August 30, 2021 at 1:39 am)onlinebiker Wrote: It's pretty easy.

Except Sundays.

Enjoy.
Do only atheists think for themselves? Because I'm a theist, and I think for myself.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(August 30, 2021 at 1:41 am)Ahriman Wrote:

Except Sundays.

Enjoy.
Do only atheists think for themselves? Because I'm a theist, and I think for myself.

You think you think for yourself, but even the thinks that you think you think are thinks that are thinked for you. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 30, 2021 at 1:41 am)Ahriman Wrote: Do only atheists think for themselves? Because I'm a theist, and I think for myself.

And what about forbidden/sinful thoughts? For instance, you're not allowed to think about sex.

Like, I remember this video in which Michael Moore says how nun told him he was not allowed to think about sex for over 5 seconds. And there is also Janeane Garofalo confronting a catholic priest who is telling her not to think about nude men.

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
In the realm of thought/imagination, God allows everything, but our freedom is granted alongside the request, from God, that we maintain a sense of conscientiousness, to prevent our imagination from being corrupted, so we can enjoy our stream of consciousness without fear of becoming degenerates.
(August 30, 2021 at 1:41 am)Ahriman Wrote: Because I'm a theist, and I think for myself.

We know, but it's the what and how that we find unsettling.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(August 30, 2021 at 7:32 am)brewer Wrote:
(August 30, 2021 at 1:41 am)Ahriman Wrote: Because I'm a theist, and I think for myself.

We know, but it's the what and how that we find unsettling.
Not sure what you mean.
(August 30, 2021 at 7:53 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(August 30, 2021 at 7:32 am)brewer Wrote: We know, but it's the what and how that we find unsettling.
Not sure what you mean.

Not worth my time.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Except Sundays.

Enjoy.

One of the greatest things about becoming an atheist was that I was no longer wasting Sunday mornings going to church.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Quote:How the religious can enjoy Atheism.
Well, scientific stuff is interesting to read, I suppose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1729 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 10620 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7116 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1813 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5158 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why do religious people desperately want to class Atheism as a religion? TheMonster 75 19084 November 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5205 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  If we can't criticize Islam in the West, where can it be criticized? TheMessiah 29 7642 May 10, 2015 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  To The Religious People...Can God See Sin? Nope 30 7088 December 3, 2014 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  We can demonstrate that souls, if they exist, can't feel pain. Chad32 10 3822 January 27, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92