Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 5:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)
RE: Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)
(November 2, 2010 at 7:59 am)Sam Wrote:
‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:It actually does not violate any laws of Conservation. It's more of just a "rescue mechanism" which are used all the time in Science, see dark matter, dark energy, and oort clouds. So Creationists are not the only ones who use this tactic. The Big Bang has its own starlight issue, so it's a problem for everyone. That's why it comes more down to worldviews than the evidence.

So, all the starlight in the universe/galaxy was instantly created in situ but this does not violate the law of conservation of energy?

Also, the term ‘Rescue Mechanism’ is being misused here. You see them as something conjured up ad hoc to suit any gap in the evidence. What is actually happening is that theories are proposed based on current knowledge. These theories are not accepted as true, they are posed for further investigation and validation. In essence you misrepresented the process when you said;

‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:Like I said, secular scientists invoke their own form of the super-natural when they create un-observable entities such as dark matter, dark energy, and oort clouds. How are these any different than the "God did it" argument? "Let's see, Comets can't last longer than 10,000 years, we see comets today even though the Universe is much older than that, sooooo . . . there must be some magical place we have never seen that makes these comets and spits them out! We will call it an oort cloud and people will believe it exists!". I find it interesting you are not nearly as critical of these arguments on your side of the aisle.

There is no invocation of the ‘super natural’ here; new theories were proposed to suit the observations. These theories are abstract but are modelled on plausible natural ideas. They haven’t been accepted or popularised as true in any way. They are working theories nothing more.

Whereas the ‘God did it’ argument is invoked as an end to the investigation i.e. “We have no current idea how this phenomenon occurs therefore ‘God did it’”.

How do you know that I am not critical of the arguments you mentioned? We’ve never discussed them. All you’ve done is assume something about me and then criticise me for it. In actual fact Statler I am quite critical of these arguments, I don’t accept them as fact but I feel they are plausible. I’m content to allow them to be investigated and see where it leads.

‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:That's just it, there is no such thing as a "simple assumption". Just because your and my worldviews share these assumptions does not make them "simple" or something everyone assumes.

What I’m saying Statler is that these ‘simple assumptions’ have no bearing on the practice of science. They do not overly affect the interpretation of results.

‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:So you are saying that Science always leans towards the most plausible explaination? So let's take Abiogenesis, even with taking into account all the random interactions in the universe since the beginning, the chance of assembling life without intelligent direction is equivalent to guessing a 5000 digit pin number on your first try. Yet many Scientists believe in Abiogenesis. So it's obvious they do not always lean towards the most plausible explaination since this one is a statistically impossible one.

Tried and failed argument from implausibility. Just because something is implausible does not make it impossible. It may be implausible but it only had to happen once.

Furthermore, what is the more plausible alternative you’re suggesting? If it is ‘god’ then one would be begging the question; how is it that this ‘creator god’ came around without any intelligent direction and is much, much more complicated than the life forms generated by abiogenesis.

Statler Waldorf’]

I think you are looking at it all wrong. I will use your same analogy.

Lets say we have two possible ages. 6000 years and 4.5 billion years. We have an eye witness acount that says that the Earth is 6000 years old and that a worldwide flood occured. Since I value observation I will take this account into effect.

We can date the Earth dozens of different ways, if I assume this eye wittness account is incorrect and hold a uniformitarian view point none of these methods agree. I get everything from 6000-4.5 billion years. If I assume this flood account is true and I take it into consideration all the dating methods point to a 6000 year old Earth. So I make an inference to the best possible explaination, which is that a global flood did occur and the Earth is young. Simple and scientific. Where is this rule that Scripture cannot be used in science? It's used all the timein archeology. [/quote Wrote:
‘An eyewitness account’? Is this the Bible?

You can’t summarily claim it as an eye witness account Statler. Its historical accuracy has been widely refuted and only your small (YEC) subdivision of Christianity interprets it the way you do. Others interpret it metaphorically and so on. The majority of Christians in fact do not believe in a Young Earth so your use of the bible is entirely subjective. Furthermore, you use the bible on its self-proclaimed correctness. In light of this claiming it as an eye witness account and basing your argument on it is absurd.

Oh, and we use different dating techniques for different types of material. So using them all arbitrarily would create foolish numbers. The techniques need to be applied in certain circumstances not ad hoc.
You make inference to the best possible solution? What about the fact that global geology shows no evidence of a flood. The fact that we can see structures which were supposedly being built in the time of the flood which were not annihilated by the raging torrents? And all the other evidence you have been shown since arriving here.

[quote=‘Statler Waldorf’]

I just find it interesting that you don't care whether those stories are true or not. If they are true I think it points to a lot of bad science on your side of the aisle. Thta is probably why you thumb your nose at these stories.

I don’t care because you have yet to prove the validity of them. They are just your stories, full stop. Even if they were true, they point to a limited number of exceptions to the general nature of secular science not a whole sale issue. If you wanted me to consider them you’d prove they are factual.

‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:Well I can just point you to the Discovery article I already did. Many reviewers are not concerned with the evidence, they are concerned more with the implications of the article. An article that rightfully destroyed Darwinian Evolution would NEVER get published in a secular journal and you know it. Darwin has become some kind of Science God and to question his findings or even originality of his work (since a Creationist published work on Natural Selection before Darwin even took his voyage) is very similiar to someone bashing the pope in front of a group of Catholics.

Again, one article. One Limited set of reviewers.Thats not enough for the sweeping generalisations your trying to force. You’re not proving anything except one possible case of overzealous reviewing which I read differently to you. You can’t just make claims like ‘an article that destroyed Darwinian Evolution would never get published’ I don’t know this and you don’t know this. Why? Because every experiment conducted into the subject thus far has confirmed it. Trying to argue against it in this way is foolish Statler.

‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:Darwin has become some kind of Science God and to question his findings or even originality of his work (since a Creationist published work on Natural Selection before Darwin even took his voyage) is very similiar to someone bashing the pope in front of a group of Catholics.

This is just an assertion you’ve dreamed up based on your own assumptions about secular scientists. Just another case of you sweeping a giant generalisation you have no proof of.

‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:So you mean to tell me that I could get a Creation research paper published in "Evolution" Journal? Please, you have got to be kidding me. They want articles that all support Darwinian Evolution and you know it. There is actually nothing wrong with this approach, if I want an article that supports Darwinian Evolution I can pick up Evolution Journal, if I want one that supports Creation I can pick up The Journal of Creation- as long as all the journals are available this is not censorship and is a very effective system. When groups say, "well there journals are not scientific because we have changed the definition of what we consider science" this then becomes censorship. Luckily, it is not my side that is doing this.

Please stop saying ‘and you know it’ Statler. Its fucking annoying beyond belief. I don’t know them Statler because they’re you’re assertions . . . don’t try and bolster them by making it seem I’m just shying away from them.

Again, you’re just asserting something about secular journals. I’ll ask you again; Go to their submission guidelines like I did with your ‘Answers’ journal and support your claim.

The reason you can’t publish creationism in secular journals is because the entire thing is based in one way or another on faith and the assumption that the bible is correct. As this is yet to receive any corroboratory evidence, in any field, it has no place in science.

The difference I’m trying to point out is that all secular journals allow any type of article as long as the science (inclusive of any assumptions) is sound and it is related to the scope of the journal. Whereas your creation journals wouldn’t even allow a YEC article which went against the theory of a global flood. It’s ridiculous and basically a method of disseminating propaganda specific to one niche belief.

‘Statler Waldorf’ Wrote:Actually it would be inappropriate for me or Dr. Lisle to argue against an illogical argument logically. So we must first point out the logical fallacies in these arguments. Once your side corrects these fallacies and presents a logically valid argument then we can began to address the issue on logical grounds.

So, you’ll just look for minor logical fallacies so that you can dodge the actual issue at hand. That is a poor style of debating which merely shield you from having to address the points being presented against you.
Children stop bickering you are both wrong. I am right. First god does not exist so he/she/it is out of the equation. Secondly science is an ever expanding exploration - so, will we ever really know the answer? You see my thoughts are: The big bang could not occur unless there was something there to bang in the first place. Hence existence of some sort was there. God appears to have come on the scene when oceans were already raging (refer to Genesis).
Evidence of evolution holds a greater weight than creationism because it has evidence of human remains in variations from the human tree. Creationism Scientists are not real scientists because their result will always be god (a total waste of money - I say) Unless of course the creationist are right and god is an alien and these aliens put us on this earth from another planet - which doesn't make them worship worthy but instead criminals (you know the wars, control, threats, genocide and so on). So my friends go read some info on the subject at decodedseries.com it will make you stop and think a bit.
ROFLOL

Messages In This Thread
RE: Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd) - by Sarah Jane - January 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1597 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Creationism Foxaèr 203 11861 August 23, 2020 at 2:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  A theory about Creationism leaders Lucanus 24 7246 October 17, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Prediction of an Alien Invasion of Earth hopey 21 4862 July 1, 2017 at 3:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Science Vs. The Forces of Creationism ScienceAf 15 3009 August 30, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Debunking the Flat Earth Society. bussta33 24 5205 February 9, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Earth Glare_ 174 21584 March 25, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10714 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  creationism belief makes you a sicko.. profanity alert for you sensitive girly men heathendegenerate 4 2049 May 7, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  Religion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good' More Young People Believe downbeatplumb 3 2392 June 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37