Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)
RE: Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd)

The United States Supreme Court decides your science for you!? LOL. Well then you must believe that tomatoes are vegetables since the US Supreme Court decided that, even though those of us in the scientific community are well aware they are scientifically classified as fruit. You keep on letting people with law degrees decide your science for you; I will stick to actual definitions.

Ashendant;113288 Wrote:No the dictionary is a interpreter of the human language, in English, a fact is
Quote:something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
or truth, since we know that the universe is a fact(the universe it exists) it's true if the universe would contradict itself
Quote:assertion of the contrary or opposite; denial. or a statement or proposition that contradicts or denies another or itself and is logically incongruous.

the opposite of truth is false since the universe exists, it can't be contradictory or false

I agree with you that truth does not contradict itself, but you have not told me using your worldview why this is the case. So you are going to have to come up with a better reason than, “Just because.”- I am sorry.

Quote: Because then it would be false which is not truth because false is the opposite of truth, you can't be opposites at the same(ex i can't be a animal and a plant at the same time because animals don't have the ability to photosynthetise and plants do)

Again, this is just a circular argument. “Truth can’t contradict itself because then it wouldn’t be truth.” You have to tell me why it can’t, I understand that it can’t, and I have an actual reason as to why it can’t. You apparently cannot come up with one.

Quote: I doubt the bible divine status but admit it that it has it's historical value, i'm not aware of any atheist that doubt the historical exodus(if i remember exactly the exodus was a historical event)

Well then I have more respect for you. I have actually met many atheists who do not accept the historical accounts in the Bible, including the exodus out of Egypt. I am sure there are even a few on this website.

Actually your just displayed your ignorance as to what Creation Science is. It is not the study of the supernatural. Creation scientists do not sit around and study God, they study the natural world. They just believe that the accounts of creation and other accounts in the Bible are completely accurate. Nowhere in the definition does it say that a scientist must believe in natural origins to the natural world he studies, he just has to study the natural world. I completely believe that guys like Newton, Bacon, and Kepler were indeed scientists. Again, you are just committing the “No true Scotsman” fallacy when you try and play these semantic games; though I do enjoy the debate my friend.

Says the man who is wasting his time telling others they are wasting their time. If you don’t like the discussion don’t take part in it. Pretty simple.

Oh brother. You obviously still do not understand the ASC. It does not violate relativity at all, it’s actually greatly supported by it. Einstein himself said there is no “true” measurement of time. So to say that there is and the ASC violates the true measurement of time is in itself violating Einstein’s work.

As to the gravitational well, saying that its founder does not understand gravity and you do is ridiculous. He has had over 30 peer reviewed articles published in the most prestigious secular journals and works at the Sandia National Laboratories in New Mexico as a Nuclear Physicist and received the “Award for Excellence for contributions to light ion-fusion target theory.” I think the guy knows a thing or two about physics.
Moshe Carmeli’s Cosmological Model is also a completely valid model despite what you think. I am sure you are well aware that Carmeli was not a Creationist; his model just solves the distant starlight problem for creationists.

Why would they? The intent of the verse was not to inform the reader about the shape of the planet. It’s talking about God’s relation to man.

If you believe the Bible is trying to inform its readers about the shape of the Earth during a symbolic dream then there is not much I can do for you. The fact of the matter is that I caught you, because you didn’t realize this was a symbolic dream until after you posted it. Or else you would have not used it as an example.
The shape of the earth is consistent everywhere in the Bible except for this passage? I have already pointed out that you have pointed to some verses you believe talk of a flat circular earth like a coin, and other verses talk of corners and edges. Of course these are all metaphors so we would expect this, but your claim that all of the descriptions are consistent is of course false. So you still need to get your story straight, did people in Bible times believe the earth was circular and flat or square and flat?
A better answer is that people in Bible times were well aware of the actual shape of the earth, thus why they use metaphors to convey points rather than to inform the reader of the earth’s shape.

Again, reading something into the text that is not there. It just says they went up there and Christ was shown all the kingdoms. Never says they had to be up there in order to see all the kingdoms. Bad exegesis.

Well I am sure you are aware the sun does not actually “rise” above the horizon, it just looks that way because it is the Earth that is moving. So these are descriptive terms used by everyone because they make sense even though they are not scientifically accurate. So I see no issue with them being used in scripture. Job is also a poetic book; we know this from the Hebrew verb usage. So to interpret it otherwise is again poor exegesis.

The Bible uses poetic, metaphoric, and other literary elements just as Tolkien did. It’s a shame you give him a pass but not the Bible. Special pleading. Keep in mind Tolkien’s books are not fantasy and fiction because they use these forms of writing, so the Bible is not necessarily fantasy or fiction because it uses similar writing elements. Writing elements themselves do not determine what is and what is not true.

So you are suggesting you can indeed move the Earth from the relative perspective of the Earth? Wow, I think you should read a physics book.

You’re right; you probably should not have tried your hand at biblical exegesis. Be that as it may, the context of this verse is very clear; the pillars being discussed are people. Just like “pillars of the community” is a reference to people, not physical pillars.

Let’s apply your silly little standards to some well known authors and see how they’d fair in your eyes.

“This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom's core;”
- Edgar Allen Poe’s The Raven

Oh no! Poe must have thought that Ravens actually had eyes filled with fire since he used the term “fiery eyes”! Looks like he also believed our chests were like some sort of fruit that had physical cores. What an idiot! It sure is a good thing that nobody thinks Poe was a literary genius or anything like that!

Let’s use your standards again shall we?

"I got the drunk up the stairs somehow. He was eager to help but his legs were rubber . . . "

- Raymond Chandler’s The Long Goodbye

Oh no! Chandler must actually believe that our legs are made of physical rubber! What a moron!

This is kind of fun, let’s look at another one…

““A fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat
into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens,
where ashes take the forms of houses and
chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a
transcendent effort, of men who move dimly
and already crumbling through the powdery air.”

- F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby

Oh no! Looks like Fitzgerald could be the biggest idiot of them all, using your same standards. He really believes that trees can magically take the form of houses and chimneys? Not to mention he thinks men can move and crumble through powdery air? What a freaking Moron, it’s a good thing nobody thinks he was a literary genius or anything like that haha.

It’s a shame you seem to be completely blind to figures of speech in writing. If you could recognize them even half the time you’d realize that the bible is a beautifully and eloquently written book with lots of different elements and literary complexities. Oh well, it’s your loss.

Oh really? According to whom? You? When people say, “wow that shook the very foundations of our country!” Are they talking about the US being built on physical foundations? Nope. The verse is using descriptive metaphor to give the reader an idea of the sheer magnitude of the flood event.

Just because you don’t like the metaphor used does not amount to anything. In fact, judging by your sheer ignorance of figures of speech and metaphoric language I think you’d be the last person I’d look to for advice.

Looks like it huh?

That’s a myth that apparently you were just gullible enough to believe. Like I pointed out, it was perpetuated by Washington Irving. People in ancient times were well aware of the Earth’s shape.

Seriously? There is no rule that a metaphor has to be constructed just like a simile minus the “as” or “like”. You obviously just made that up. Nor is there a rule saying a metaphor can’t be constructed like a statement. That is made clear by the dictionary definition which uses an example that is built exactly like the “The Air is thick syrup” example you gave.

Metaphor- –noun
a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our god.”

Of course using your silly little rules, you’d have to say their example is not a metaphor and the fortress really is our god since this is constructed like a statement.

What? Since it is a simile why would you take it as a literal description of cosmology? If I say, “Wow, the stars look like campfires in the sky!” does that mean that I believe the stars are really campfires? Uh no, because it’s what we call a simile.

I have heard them say it, and I am pretty sure that they still know how rainfall actually works. They are just using descriptive language, just like the Bible does.

Yet you fail to point out how this would be wrong. The aging of our organs and cells is determined by the length of our telomeres. So death from old age is always determined by our telomeres or by mutations in our genomes. So longer telomeres and genomes devoid of most mutations would have led to much longer lives. I can draw you a picture if you’d like.
“Cawthon's study found that when people are divided into two groups based on telomere lengths, the half with longer telomeres lives five years longer than those with shorter telomeres. That suggests lifespan could be increased five years by increasing the length of telomeres in people with shorter ones.”
- University of Utah’s research website

You are judged for your sins, not because you were not given saving grace. When a death row inmate is executed, he is executed for his crimes, not because he didn’t receive a pardon from the governor.

When Adam fell we all fell, he was our representative, so it is not a design flaw at all. God has just as much freedom in saving babies as He does anyone else. I feel it is consistent with His character that all babies are given saving grace. The Bible does not tell us either way, so that is more just my opinion.
Unfortunately for you, given your worldview, babies are just cosmic accidents that really have no value or purpose. So you are really just borrowing from my worldview when you say their lives have any value at all.

Well murder only applies to humans killing other humans. God has the right to destroy His creation, and to pass judgment upon it (Romans 9). We should just all be glad we get better than we actually deserve.

Actually most people still use the terms “Falling Star” and “Shooting Star”.

Where did I say the verse was describing an eclipse? Nowhere. I was just point out that they do darken the sun from the earth’s perspective; this does not mean that is what the verse is talking about.

Oh yes! The old “Newton and Kepler were idiots!” argument. Newton actually spent more time studying the Bible than he did math and science. I think he understood scripture, at least better than you. I do not mind being in the same category as these men, if they didn’t see any issues with scripture’s divine inspiration claim then I guess I can’t really see any issue with it then either.

That actually was not a fallacy. I think I made it very clear that they objected to Galileo for reasons that are not in the Bible. Well unless you can show me where in the Bible it says that moving the earth out of the center of the universe is a means of glorifying it, which of course you can’t because it’s not in there. So my claim that they were objecting on non-biblical grounds is completely accurate, and not fallacious.

Pulling a smattering of quotes out of the Bible and trying to compare them all is bad exegesis, every Bible scholar knows not to do this.

No not a problem at all. I’ll let Dr. Sproul answer this one since he is more of a Biblical Scholar than either of us…
[url] http://www.ligonier.org/learn/qas/number...god-how-c/[/url]

You just proved my point! The article you pointed me to talked of calculating the one way speed of light by measuring two way speeds off of the mirror on the moon. This of course is not directly measuring the one way speed of light; it is calculating the one way speed of light by measuring the two way speed of light. So my original claim stands un-refuted, it is impossible to directly measure the one way speed of light due to relativity.

Again, scientific fact is not and never will be established by consensus. You should know better.

Ignorance tsk tsk. Wernher von Braun was not just an administrator. As your guys’ beloved source Wikipedia would say, “Braun would later be regarded as the preeminent rocket engineer of the 20th century in his role with the United States civilian space agency NASA” You really need to read up a bit before you make such foolish claims bud.

Well there are quite a few actually. One great example would be Dr. Russel Humphries who has worked at the Sandia National Laboratories in New Mexico since 1979. Another example would be Michael Trigges who is a Senior Aerospace Engineer at NASA Johnson Space Center. You’d think you’d guys would stop making these silly claims about Creation Scientists after I have proven so many of them to be flat out wrong, but oh well.

Actually all of the models do work; it’s obvious you just haven’t read up on any of them. You had better hope they work because the “Big Bang” has its own background radiation vs. time problem that could be solved by any one of these three models.

Read up on what Creation Scientists really believe before you weigh in on the matter. Thanks.

You act as if you proved something with this post, that’s kind of scary. ASC actually has not had any holes shot in it by anyone who actually understands the model. That is probably why you didn’t shoot any holes in it here either.

You obviously don’t understand the gravitational well model, so I suggest you read up on it too before you weigh in on it. Dr. Humphries book, “Starlight and Time” would be a good place for you to begin

Well if you were familiar with Carmeli’s model you would realize that clocks on the outer edges of the universe would tick up to a trillion times faster than clocks towards the center due to the 5th dimensional expansion of time and space.

Actually paleomagnetism is not a problem for the catastrophic plate tectonic model because its old ages are based off of radiometric dating. Which of course is not accepted by young earth creationists for numerous and I feel legitimate reasons. Paleomagnetism also has many other problems of its own such as remagnetization. So if you think you are coming up with something that the Geologists on the creation side of the aisle are not fully aware of, you’re mistaken.

Yeah that’s a great reference for people like you who are completely ignorant of literary elements and figures of writing. Great job! For the rest of us who know what metaphors are, I find that illustration rather laughable.

Despite the fact that they have never observed a river carve out a canyon and the fact that there boulders at the bottom of the Grand Canyon that are far too large for the Colorado River to move even in flood season. This also ignores the fact that the Kaibab Upheaval suggests that most of the strata in the canyon were deformed while it was still saturated with water, and not over millions of years. Of course you can just ignore all of these facts and continue with your fallacious interpretation of the evidence.

Creation Scientists don’t invoke the supernatural in the operational sciences, so this whole analogy is ridiculous.

Huh? No, I was just showing you why you should not appeal to consensus. Apparently you missed the whole point.

Where did I say science was the pursuit of truth? I just pointed out that if you are making scientific progression it should be in the direction of truth not untruth. You are right, science does not determine truth.

Again, the operational sciences. Creationists do not invoke the supernatural in the operational sciences. Hence, why Newton could be a creationist and still do very good scientific work.
Actually evolution is closely tied to the age of the earth. It needs old ages, hence why Darwin was such an advocate of the uniformitarian movement.

Baseless assertion, claim stands un-refuted.

Assertion, claim stands un-refuted.

So? The laws of thermodynamics don’t apply to living matter? I think they very much do.

Well you apply this same foolish reasoning to the age of the earth so…..

Actually you are right; it doesn’t have to take thousands of years. The Little Grand Canyon in Washington State is 1/40th the size of the actual Grand Canyon (about 100 feet deep). It is completely stratified just like the Grand Canyon and even has a new stream running down the middle of it just like the Grand Canyon. The only problem is…it was formed in one day!! The canyon was formed by the sediment run off caused by the Mt. St. Helens eruption. The only problem is, it displays everything you just listed above as evidence for an “old” canyon and yet we know it is very young.

As I pointed out above, the Little Grand Canyon also has rock layers; it’s a natural phenomenon that is caused by the different grain sizes and densities. It does not prove age at all. I find it rather unbelievable that a semi-intelligent person could believe what you believe in spite of the observed evidence to the contrary.

Well it fit the criteria you gave me. So it’s obvious you are just committing the “No True Scotsman” fallacy. Keep it up.

Actually it is the same as only evolutionists peer reviewing the articles that are submitted to Nature and Science lol. Can you name one scientist on the peer review board for either one of those journals who does not believe in evolution? So it is obvious you are just engaging in special pleading when you expect Creation Journals to be peer reviewed by non-creationists. Epic fail.

Well I certainly should considering you have given me about a dozen fine examples of it to learn from.

I believe in judging science upon its merits, so point me to an article from this Nazi Journal and I will read it and let you know what I think.

Well I guess the laws of Gravity are tainted because they were discovered by someone who believed God created the earth and universe about 6,000 years ago! Bummer!

DNA evidence is by definition circumstantial evidence yes. Hence why OJ Simpson was not convicted for murder criminally despite the fact they had DNA evidence to support the DA’s charges. This was because the jury believed (wrongfully I believe) that the DNA evidence was planted.

Yes you can, so you can say you have strong empirical evidence that there are rock layers at the Grand Canyon. I would not argue with this at all, especially since I have seen them myself.

The fact that these methods can’t date correctly of rocks of known ages is pretty strong evidence that the rates are not constant. If the method can’t work when used on material of known age there is no reason at all to believe it all of the sudden works on materials of unknown ages. I am sorry.

I think your view on this matter is a prime example of intellectual laziness. I could very well be just as lazy and say, “Well I don’t accept evolution because I am sure there is some pending research that will disprove it.” Of course I do not believe this is an acceptable argument when I use it anymore than when you use it.
I am sure you are also well aware that the 40,000 year date is what we would call an “upper limit”, so the fact that 6,000 years falls under this “upper limit” is really no problem for the YEC side of the aisle. Unfortunately for you, the fact that you believe in a date that is thousands of times higher than that upper limit does provide some very serious problems for your side of the aisle.

Ahh, it’s the old, “All legitimate science appears in secular peer-review journals” canard. I am sure you are also aware that Crick and Watson’s work on the DNA double helix was never peer-reviewed; I guess DNA does not exist then! This is a silly game you are trying to play. You never really addressed my Coelacanth point, you just threw a fit and side stepped the point. So the fact of the matter is that when an animal doesn’t appear in the fossil record sometimes it means it really didn’t exist (sea urchins), but other times it means the animal was just not fossilized (Coelacanths) and you get to just arbitrarily pick which case it is. I like the creation viewpoint that just not all animals were fossilized; it is so much more consistent with the evidence.

Actually many such animals are found in the bottom most layers. The fact that Sea Urchins are not just means their bodies came to rest higher up where they were fossilized. It’s really not as complicated as you are trying to make it. Fossilization is a rare event, we know this.

Yeah keyword here is “current”. I think this uniformitarian line of thinking has been disproven time and time again and even secular geologists today don’t ascribe to it due to many lines of evidence that mountain ranges have up heaved at far greater rates in the past.
Creationists actually do have a catastrophic plate tectonics model that works perfectly and has been published in both creation and peer-reviewed journals and has been shown off and conferences nationwide. I would suggest you look at some of the published work on this model.

Science is the best we can do for truth seeking? How do you know this claim is true then? Did you scientifically prove that science is the best we can do for truth seeking? That’s a self-refuting argument.
Nowhere in scripture does Christ say to not go to the doctor. To the contrary God has given man dominion over His creation and encourages him to pursue knowledge and discovery; hence why the Christian Reformation led to modern science as we know it. So your straw-man argument is really just that, a straw-man.

This is just more intellectual laziness. So I have provided 25 lines of evidence confirming an earth created 6,000 years old, you have provided zero. This is a pretty easy discussion then.
Besides, you are just practicing exactly what you damn Behe (not a creationist btw) for doing. Have you read every single peer-reviewed article published in the creation journals? Nope! Yet, somehow you know that they cannot provide any evidence that would persuade you to believe the earth is 6,000 years old. Hypocrite.

Well if you had actually read my posts you’d realize that I said that the only two options were special creation and naturalistic creation so you have done nothing to refute this claim since you really just gave me more examples that fall into either one of these categories (OEC and Raelians). Of course Evolutionary Theory is the only serious naturalistic method proposed for life on earth and the universe itself (big bang cosmology), so evidence against it is logically evidence for special creation. Special creation of course has several branches (YEC, OEC, and ID being examples), but once you admit that special creation has to be the answer then we can discuss why it has to be YEC. Right now however you are just being completely illogical, “Well I know the answer has to be an even number, but since I don’t know which even number it is I will pick an odd one!” So my point still stands.

So first I was moving goalposts, now I have not even built any? I guess you are at least being consistently inconsistent.

Maybe what I previously wrote on information just went over your head. I will quickly point it out again, you quantify Shannon information, you do not quantify semantic information. DNA contains both, we can quantify the Shannon information in the genome, we have to measure the semantic information by quality not quantity. I gave you the option of checking out a book on the subject written by one of the world’s leading information theorists and you seem to not care enough to give it a look (as I pointed out, it is available for free online). However, it is a well established law that semantic information cannot arise devoid of a mental source. So to suggest it does this not just once but millions of times over is quite foolish. In fact it would destroy our ability to infer that anything was created by humans in the past. We would look at the pyramids and say, “Well we know that they contain specified complexity, but since the evolutionists insist that nature not only can but does produce specified complexity over and over again I guess we can infer that these buildings were not built by the Egyptians but by natural processes.” I feel that would be a huge step in the wrong direction.

You proved my point, thanks! Observable facts are [b]only[/] dealt with by operational science! So of course you won’t even find any creation scientists who use supernatural explanations for observable facts because they believe God upholds His creation in a predictable and uniform manner (nature). This being said, the earth and universe’s origins are not observable. So proposing supernatural explanations for these is completely legitimate and has been done by some of the greats today and some of the greats in the past like Newton, Bacon, and Kepler. So you see, the distinction is not only appropriate but crucial.

Quote:

You are right; I do not know anything about your background. I was making an inference to the best possible explanation. The best explanation I can think of for someone who does not know the difference between two basic concepts like operational and origins sciences is that they did not receive a proper scientific education. Maybe you did receive one but you just forgot it all? I guess that would be another possible explanation.

Quote:

That’s really just an ad hoc hypothesis. There is no evidence whatsoever that the contamination could come from within the diamond itself. Even if this were the case (despite there being no evidence to suggest it is), this would not solve the problem because you’d also have to explain the C14 levels found in fossilized wood, coal, and oil. Maybe the flying spaghetti monster snuck around planting C14 in places it does not belong?

Quote:

Missing the point (again). It is the fact that supporters of the ToE use certain animals absences from the fossil record to claim that they did not exist. Yet when certain animals are supposedly absent from the record for millions of years but then show up alive today it proves that you can’t use the fossil record as evidence for when animals first did and did not exist and when they first “appeared” on earth.

Quote:

Well I guess I can just use your lines of logic here. Since Coelacanths were never fossilized during the past 65 million years, and their fossils have never been found alongside whales even though we know they coexist. I guess the absence of human fossils alongside Cambrian organisms just means humans were not fossilized with them even though they coexisted with them. That was easy. I can leave you with this little nugget about the fossil record though, since you seem to love to use it as supposed evidence for your theory.

““Contrary to what most scientists write, the fossil record does not support the Darwinian theory of evolution because it is this theory (there are several) which we use to interpret the fossil record. By doing so, we are guilty of circular reasoning if we then say the fossil record supports this theory.”
- West, R. “Paleontology and Uniformitarianism” Comapss Vol. 45

Messages In This Thread
RE: Young Earth Creationism Vs. Science (Statler Waldorf Contd) - by Statler Waldorf - January 18, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1593 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Creationism Foxaèr 203 11774 August 23, 2020 at 2:25 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  A theory about Creationism leaders Lucanus 24 7239 October 17, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Prediction of an Alien Invasion of Earth hopey 21 4855 July 1, 2017 at 3:36 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Science Vs. The Forces of Creationism ScienceAf 15 3000 August 30, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Debunking the Flat Earth Society. bussta33 24 5186 February 9, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Earth Glare_ 174 21534 March 25, 2015 at 10:53 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Defending Young-Earth Creationism Scientifically JonDarbyXIII 42 10705 January 14, 2015 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  creationism belief makes you a sicko.. profanity alert for you sensitive girly men heathendegenerate 4 2047 May 7, 2014 at 12:00 am
Last Post: heathendegenerate
  Religion 'Cause Of Evil Not Force For Good' More Young People Believe downbeatplumb 3 2390 June 25, 2013 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Brian37