Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 9:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meaningfulness v meaninglessness; theism vs atheism;
RE: Meaningfulness v meaninglessness; theism vs atheism;
(January 21, 2011 at 11:46 am)dqualk Wrote:
Quote: Faith(not religious faith) in a cause is independent of a Christian God, and love is chemical reaction
I disagree I believe love is real. Just like I beleive that truth actually exists, and I actually exist. I believe both of those assumptions without evidence, indeed both of them are suprarational. Likewise I believe love is real. It is more real than my physical body, or any other physical quality.

Love is real, it's just not spiritual real because the spiritual doesn't exist, it's just a bunch of chemistry set in your brain, truth is also real if it wasn't real we wouldn't exist.

Quote:All that can be explained by both Biological and Social Evolution

The fact that it can be explained in a limited sense by biological and social evoltution does not mean its true. For example, it can also be explained by use of the idea of God.[/quote]

That's really applying the God of Gaps Argument when all the gaps are already filled
Quote:What about them?
Christianity as as much as proof as them
Quote:You can believe in those things, but at the end of the day you are choosing to belive in something, and I think that a better arguement can be made for believing in God. I understand it is a difficult thing to wrestle with so I am not surprised when people end up on the other side of the decision. However, I think that we should all have a healthy respect for legitimate worldviews. If anything theism does make sense, and it is certainly plausible even if you or someone else cannot quite accept it for whatever reasons, perhaps a disdain for authority or the problem of evil is to big a problem to be explained away with the current explanations available.
Believing in wrathful, prideful, backwards deity is better than believing in the self-improvement of humanity?
I think not.
Theism only makes sense in the eyes of a theist and isn't plausible because there's no proof
I don't have a disdain for authority i have a disdain for baseless claims without proof, that's considered truth for no reason than simply thinking it's truth

Also i already solved the problem of evil
Quote:You accept that there is a truth, but you cannot prove that there is a truth. It is something you believe with faith becuase it makes everything else make sense, and because there is something deep within you that screams that there is truth. In the same way, perhaps more complex, I believe in God, becuase He makes everything make sense, Truth, love, meaning, right and wrong, intrinsic value, and because there is something deep within me that screams God is real, love is real, Truth is real, there is a right and there is a wrong and so on.
Truth is real, because if truth wasn't real so wouldn't we

Indoctrination, Insanity, Integration, one of these 3 things explains that thing inside you that screams that god is real
Quote:Also, I like the way you boil it down to what I beleive is the biggest problem with materialist atheism and that is " reality might just be a illusion of a feeble mind" I believe this is what atheism ultimately leads to, and that is why we are suffering in this "post modern" mentality where nothing is real and truth is an illusion. For this reason I calim that Theism is actually more rational than atheism, becuase within Theism reason is real. In materialistic atheism even laws of nature change. I chuckeled one time when a few weeks ago when I read a BBC news article that said some scientist has found evidence that the universe has been expanding and compressing forever. He said if this is true this means that laws change. And therefore Truth changes, there is no constant by which we can make absolute observations, that is apart from, everything is always changing, which itself makes no sense when everythign is always changing.
Nah that was just a silly nihilistic argument you weren't supposed to take that seriously.

And you misunderstand is not the laws that changed, it's our mind trying to understand reality that changes.[/quote]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Meaningfulness v meaninglessness; theism vs atheism; - by Ashendant - January 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, theism, agnosticism, gnosticism, ignosticism Simon Moon 25 2225 October 29, 2022 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 2011 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Comparing Theism with Flat-Earthism FlatAssembler 26 2270 December 21, 2020 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Protection Against the Wiles of Theism Rhondazvous 9 1574 April 7, 2019 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 26397 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13400 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27851 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Occam's Razor, atheism, theism and polytheism. Jehanne 74 17336 February 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 11077 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  What's the lamest defence of Theism you've ever heard? FebruaryOfReason 458 56520 February 27, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: vorlon13