Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 2, 2026, 10:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God?
#11
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God?
(February 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm)athrock Wrote: Is it possible that God gave us brains that are pre-wired for receptivity to His existence to make it easier for us to believe in Him?


If a god is responsible, he/she/it/they sure did a lousy job. Because along with this "God Believing Module" in our brains:

1. he gave us the ability to study the brain, and get to the technological point where it looks a lot like faith based beliefs are just a side effect of our how our brains are constructed. Why would he design the "GBM" to look just like a natural process?

2. he made it too easy for the vast majority of his creation, for the "God Believing Module" to be associated with the "wrong god" based almost entirely on geography. Why would he design the "GBM" to be so easily lead astray?

3. he made it too easy to investigate the other god claims, and to determine that they are not supported by demonstrable evidence, reasoned argument and valid/sound logic, and to completely override the "GBM".



Not very convincing to those of us with a modicum of critical thinking skills. Which he should have also been able to tell would make it very easy to bypass the "GBM".

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Reply



Messages In This Thread
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by athrock - February 4, 2016 at 10:10 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Chad32 - February 4, 2016 at 10:23 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Simon Moon - February 4, 2016 at 11:07 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by brewer - February 4, 2016 at 11:50 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 1:06 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 5:26 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 5:51 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 6:23 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Jackie - February 5, 2016 at 11:11 am
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 6:03 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 6:28 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 5:20 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 7:23 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Cato - February 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Heat - February 6, 2016 at 11:20 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Heat - February 6, 2016 at 9:53 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Heat - February 6, 2016 at 11:16 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Athene - February 6, 2016 at 10:10 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Jackie - February 10, 2016 at 10:34 am
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by LadyForCamus - February 10, 2016 at 10:19 am
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by LadyForCamus - February 10, 2016 at 10:34 am
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by LadyForCamus - February 10, 2016 at 10:34 am
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Jackie - February 10, 2016 at 10:38 am
I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by LadyForCamus - February 10, 2016 at 10:42 am
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Iroscato - February 10, 2016 at 10:43 am
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Jackie - February 10, 2016 at 1:14 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by Jackie - February 20, 2016 at 4:27 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by comet - February 20, 2016 at 4:04 pm
RE: I’m an atheist. So why can’t I shake God? - by IATIA - February 21, 2016 at 10:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, how can you say there is no God. When... Urani9 30 8456 December 12, 2024 at 11:39 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  An atheist can blaspheme god Interaktive 8 2806 December 30, 2022 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 9189 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3552 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 14483 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Why God is scientifically redefinable (an atheist article snippet) MadaraUchihuh 4 2494 March 10, 2017 at 9:24 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 19472 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 278 117431 January 19, 2017 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  God can come 2nd to my son..... maestroanth 6 2473 January 1, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Can I just say why I love you guys? Won2blv 13 4371 December 11, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)