Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 12:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teach children about Jesus at a young age,
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age,
(March 12, 2016 at 3:01 am)robvalue Wrote:
(March 11, 2016 at 5:07 pm)Emjay Wrote: I just hate this. (as if I didn't already know the answer) what do religious people fear in letting their children reach an age of critical thought before teaching them about their religion? And not seven like I think the Catholic Church suggests, but an age of real critical thought... adulthood. I wonder what the world would be like if religious education was not allowed until say 18... a very different and much better place. Any earlier than that and it's not a real choice to believe but just the natural trusting and impressionable nature of children. And it makes my blood boil to hear stories, like Judi's, of young kids being told they're going to hell... seeming to forget that children naturally have very vivid imaginations, much more vivid perhaps than any adult.

18? That would be it. Done and dusted. No one is going to be able to convert an 18 year old who hasn't had any one lean on them about religious dogma. Well, it would be very rare anyway.

They would still have the advantage that society is saturated with mythology though. That's the good thing about England, we've reached the tipping point where this is no longer the case. Jesus isn't everywhere. He's hardly anywhere, in fact. So unless you get indoctrinated, it is generally viewed as a dumb story.

I totally agree. Telling a young child about hell is one of the most vile, disgusting things I could imagine. Talk about a parenting short cut.

Hiya Rob. Sorry I've taken a while to reply but I'm playing a mafia game at the moment and you know what that's like  Wink 

Yep, what we need is an Age of Consent for religious teaching... an age under which people are deemed incapable of giving informed consent to the ideas that are being implanted... not taught... but implanted in them. It's almost like hypnotic suggestion, perhaps it even is that, because what choice do they have when they're bombarded with only those messages and nothing else by those closest to them?

Going a bit further into this utopia, you could put age ratings on religious programming... so an 18 certificate on watching Joyce Meyer or whatever, just as you would with any other potentially harmful content that children are not psychologically equipped to deal with. That would perhaps deal a bit with some of the external influence in society. I know it sounds silly but it is psychologically damaging especially if there's no choice or consent involved in receiving those messages. But then it might just become the forbidden fruit, just as smoking or alcohol is to kids... but hopefully it would be at least one drug they could say 'fuck that' to after trying it once. 

I wonder how many adults really think about hell... I mean immerse themselves in the idea of it... not many I'd think. But with their imaginations children will just do that naturally whether they like it or not. I did when I was a child, well teen, and went through months of nightmares because I thought I had committed the unforgivable sin. I'm glad I can now say fuck the holy spirit (thanks to you guys on this site) and sleep like a baby.

Messages In This Thread
Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Foxaèr - March 11, 2016 at 1:12 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 2:30 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 6:59 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 14, 2016 at 12:50 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 8:25 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 2:49 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Chad32 - March 11, 2016 at 11:30 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 3:29 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 11, 2016 at 3:08 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 11, 2016 at 5:07 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 12:47 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 1:28 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 14, 2016 at 2:17 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by emjay - March 17, 2016 at 9:57 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 21, 2016 at 11:57 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 4:30 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 4:36 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 10:46 am
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 12:35 pm
RE: Teach children about Jesus at a young age, - by Joods - March 22, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What they don't teach you in Sunday School LinuxGal 19 1309 September 25, 2023 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is the Afro-Asiatic linguistics incompatible with Young-Earth Creationism? FlatAssembler 17 1500 July 13, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  The age of the Earth LinuxGal 12 2627 March 21, 2023 at 5:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Religious groups in UK failing children over sex abuse zebo-the-fat 1 1153 September 2, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Church of England 'failed to protect children from sexual abusers' zebo-the-fat 25 2126 October 8, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Telling children that they are going to hell is abusive? Fake Messiah 104 10072 February 9, 2020 at 2:46 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4163 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2629 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2738 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  87% of Young Irish Vote for Abortion! Jehanne 43 3961 May 31, 2018 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist